Best Thread Capital Spreads

i just don't get the gripe. SB'ers are market makers and effectively what they show you is an indicative price and when you trade it is basically an RFQ. What they push bakc to you is what price they're willing to offer/bid.

if you think they're bothered about a £40 P&L then you're mistaken.

even more so if you're trying to scalp pre-open then you deserve to lose you're shirt.

i just don't get the gripe. SB'ers are market makers and effectively what they show you is an indicative price and when you trade it is basically an RFQ. What they push bakc to you is what price they're willing to offer/bid.

even more so if you're trying to scalp pre-open then you deserve to lose you're shirt.

Whether it's indicative of not is a matter of debate. However I do agree that it generally is.

They are however demonstrably bothered about £40, which is what makes this so pathetic on CS's part. Simon stated that they take particular notice of anyone delaing in as large size as £20 (!). Rather than accept a trade, Steve says that it was rejected and the price moved 2 pips. Given that there was no underlying moving at the time, the dealers clearly looked at the trade (Simon admits all pre-market trades are referred) rejected it and moved their price 2 pips higher.

They would have been perfectly entitled to move the price after taking the trade, but to claim that it was so wrong that a trade had to be rejected, then finesse it by 2 pips - what adjective should describe that? Anal, greedy, pathetic would be my suggestions.

i'm a trader not a dealer and i would reject any trade that i felt was going to push my book. be it 2 pips or 22 pips, especially when i couldn't hedge my exposure. how do you know it wasn't a person with DMA access submitting pre-order prices to distort the market? and where do you think the dealers get their prices? an algo running off the underlying perhaps...

Fine, but there is no underlying at this time to base your price off. Simon stated above that they don't use the pre-market order book.

What pushes the price is client trades and other markets moving. If they rejected every trade which moved their price, they wouldn't be getting many deals out of hours. Short answer, if they don't want to make a price out of hours, they can stop doing it. As a trader how would you react if you asked for a price indication, gave your direction and the mm then said it was 2 pips higher? Would you go back to them next time?

Goose,

I could make a number of points in reply to this. Firstly, they openly offer a 4 point spread out of hours - if this isnt feasable for them they should make it 6 or 8 or 10 or whatever.
Secondly, as 'ns1000' points out, they are bothered by £40 or 2 points x 2 contracts. This isnt an isolated case of one trade attempt. It happened twice yesterday morning and again this morning. These 'batches' of £40 add up. I am sure I am not the only client who finds this happening to them! This morning I was actually trying to sell the pre-market rise; again the quote got moved 2 points and my order rejected - carbon copy of yesterday. If I would have tried again I would have most likey got the trade on but it would have cost me an extra 2 points again. This morning the pre market was stronger and I was selling into strength but again the action on the part of the CS dealers was the same. In effect the spread is 8 and not the 4 which is advertised. If I would have tried to buy then they would just move it higher by 2?? So you have the basic 4 spread which they bump up 2 or bump down 2 on the first trade attempt.
Thirdly, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, (and the point which Simon doesn't address in his comprehensive reply) is the fact that a 2 point move in the quote doesnt invalidate the clients order. It has been clearly stated that orders which fall inside the quote will be accepted.
Fourthly there is an issue of a fair, balanced and orderly market. Based upon what has been written it would be possible for the market to swing in a given direction which might cause clients to 'react' (ie stop orders or orders to close open positions because of fear of loss). The firm could then stop clients trading who had the opposite view. The net result would be that the firm would only allow trades which benefited them. So basically, if the firms makes its quote, it has to be able to stand by both sides of the price otherwise clients could be abused.

I will reply in more detail to Simon's post later on when I have more time as I have a morning of client visits.

Steve.

All things considered, this is a minor example of deviousness in the SB world, but it's amazing that even £1pp out of hours trades are vetted. Does this indicate that there are virtually no bets open, because otherwise such a minimal stake would make little difference to the 'automatic hedging' effect of longs and shorts tending to balance out?

"hello, ftse quote please?" How would they deal with phone quotes, surely they would honour it if they quoted it ?

Of course they wouldnt know which way you intended to deal either until after the quotes given

"hello, ftse quote please?" How would they deal with phone quotes, surely they would honour it if they quoted it ?

Of course they wouldnt know which way you intended to deal either until after the quotes given

"What size is that for Sir?"

Meanwhile their computer system uses caller ID to see if they can match your phone number and work out who you are.

Steve.

Unless they 'off' the quote or state it's for indication only, I would say it constitutes an invitation to treat.

Meanwhile their computer system uses caller ID to see if they can match your phone number and work out who you are.

Steve.

Having worked on a retail dealing desk for several years previously, you really don't need caller ID. You can normally tell who the client is if you're used to speaking to them as soon as they say something. Some say hello, others bark at you, some can't pronouce the name of the stock their asking for, others have pet names for their instruments (hello, where's the thing? was always a favourite).

Sorry, I digress.

Nick

Steve.

Dont most bookies honour trades upto a few hundred quid on their advertised fixed spreads though ? so bookie asking what size, the client could say within your guidance or something,.

Does capital spreads have a policy ? All trades utpo £200 will be quoted the fixed spread relevant to the hours. so pre market ftse spread of 4? for all trades up to £200 a point.

So the client only needs a firm verbal quote,

"hello, ftse quote please?"

"What size sir?"

"Within your guidance (normal size)"

maybe simon will give guidance ,unless someone knows they need to know size prior to quote, for ALL? quotes...

Simon,

Thank you for your comprehensive and informative response. There are clearly more aspects involved in ‘market making’ than most people understand or even know about. However, having said that, it is, first and foremost, your dealers job; it is what you pay them to do. Surely, by allowing them to act this way, you are simply trying to create a perfect ‘money making world’ for yourselves? You are just adopting a ‘siege mentality’ where, put quite simply, you are saying, ‘If a client attempts to trade then our quote must be wrong.’ It is interesting how you can view things this way ‘out of hours’ but take an entirely different view ‘inside market hours’ – what is the difference? You imply that any trade that a client makes is pure naked speculation – this isn’t necessarily the case. There are people out here who trade options and use SB’s as a more than effective hedge in certain situations.
Besides all of that, your argument could be extended market wide be it inside or outside normal market hours; anyone who buys or sells any stock or future believes the current price to be ‘wrong’. If someone buys something (in market terms) then they clearly believe that the item will have greater value at a future moment in time. Likewise with someone who sells something; they believe that it’s perceived value will in fact be lower at a future moment in time.

You say that dealers don’t want to get ‘caught out’; this is impossible unless FTSE stays in a 4 point range for the rest of the day! I could toss a coin to decide if I should buy or sell. Then, over the course of the first hour’s trading, on 4 out of 5 days, the market will go both above and below the level of the pre market trade. If I choose the right moment then I could take some money off you quite quickly. This doesn’t mean that the dealer’s quotation was ‘wrong’ as such.

You say that all ‘out of hours’ trades are put forward for manual execution. This I feel is fair enough. It is sensible to monitor these things carefully. What I don’t find ‘fair’ is that deals can be rejected because a dealer gets a funny feeling in his tummy. (Re your comments on out of hours quoting and trading being filled will fear.) I didn’t see that bit in your Best Execution Document!

Others have mentioned how you would deal with this is if instructions came via the telephone. Now that I would find interesting. By dealing through the internet, because of the way that you say that the dealers are allow to behave, the clients are placing themselves at a huge disadvantage because they are revealing their dealing intentions before the price x size is firm. You wouldn’t be able to play that ‘little trick’ on the telephone since a client, whilst revealing size, wouldn’t have to reveal their intended trading direction until after the dealer has specified your 4 spread quotation. This would mean that phone trading would stop you ‘front running’ the quotation. Do you not think that it is rather silly that the two methods of dealing (internet vs telephone) create such a disparity in the fairness to clients? Would it not be most sensible, from Capital Spreads perspective, if this apparent disparity didn’t exist?

The only thing that you didn’t really answer in your reply was the matter of “Trade Rejected – The Price Is No Longer Valid”. Previously you have said that trades are accepted if the price is inside the current quotation at the time they are received by your dealers. I’m sensing a ‘Rule Change’ coming on here now that we are no longer talking hypothetically and now that ‘real money’ is involved? Again this morning my attempt to trade was refused and the quote moved by 2 points. Moments later the quote returned to its original level. Again my order remained well within the ‘current quotation’ as specified by you in previous posts on these issues. It seems to me that the dealers at CS are developing their own version of ‘sign language’. An attempt to trade which results in the quote moving 2 points followed by a ‘price no longer valid’ message followed by the quote returning to its original level means, “Bugger Off! The head dealer is busy mopping out the bogs so you can’t flipping trade at the moment, besides that we don’t know what the price is”

Happy Trading,
Steve.

Goose,

"where do you think the dealers get their prices?" I think we're still waiting on that one.

"an algo running off the underlying perhaps." I think it's apparent their methodology is ad hoc and totally lacking in sophistication.

"What's the price on long gilt?" "We don't quote the agri markets, Sir."

These guys know exactly what they're doing and will continue for as long as they have gullible clients.

Grant.

out of hours markets are just that ... out of hours.. it you had a FTSE futures position with LIFFE you would have to wait until the 08.00 open before being able to trade. All other markets are priced off the underlying so there is something for us to go on when we quote. We do not take a huge number of trades in pre-market activity which is why the dealers eye with suspision virtually all of them but with no hedge available a general movement can quickly build into a sizable position. a twenty, a couple of 40's some 10's and a huge number of 5s and 2s maybe a sixty or two. And pretty soon you have an exposure of 300 -400 pounds a point with no hedge available.

In all honesty Steve you must admit that you normally get every trade request. Our dealers will only reject if they feel that our quote has gone out of line of the industry standard in the pre market action. Every company has its own calculation methods to try to give as good a price as possible but we keep an eye on the others at this sensitive time to ensure that arbs are not created (i assume they do the same).

You are right in that we offer 4 pips wide instead of the industry norm of 6 pips and we normally accept virtually every trade... but occasionally we reserve the right to reject. In the case you mentioned we move the price 2 pips in a pre-market situation. In the great scheme of things not a lot and, in this case, effectively making our price the same spread as our competitors

It is easy to say the SB companies are totally lacking in sophistication but recently as you will all be aware there have been some seriously strange opening levels on the FTSE Future. We have models which do their best to estimate the opening prints but without the market maker order books to look at (goldman, merril lynch, barclays etc) it does sometimes get a bit daunting.

grantx

do you actually read my answers or do you just say the first thing that comes into your head. Our pricing in out of hours markets is based upon the expected uncrossing level in the FTSE future .. the 07.00 to 08.00 price action on the Dax... last night's price action on the Dow and S&P etc etc... it is just an estimate. There will be market professionals who have more info than us. People with access to pre market order flow. A good model in one of these institutions would give a punter a definate advantage over us. Sometimes we get as paranoid as the next man and suspect that some of our clients do actually have this info as some do extraordinarily well in pre-market trading.

Simon

Last edited:
out of hours markets are just that ... out of hours.. it you had a FTSE futures position with LIFFE you would have to wait until the 08.00 open before being able to trade. All other markets are priced off the underlying so there is something for us to go on when we quote. We do not take a huge number of trades in pre-market activity which is why the dealers eye with suspision virtually all of them but with no hedge available a general movement can quickly build into a sizable position. a twenty, a couple of 40's some 10's and a huge number of 5s and 2s maybe a sixty or two. And pretty soon you have an exposure of 300 -400 pounds a point with no hedge available.

Simon

But surely not all the bets are in the same direction, at exactly the same time, so you don't need to hedge before the price is 'adjusted'?

Simon,

Indeed I do read your answers. I just wonder if you actually read them. In entirety, your posts lack cohesion and it would be impossible to construct even an approximation of your business model – probably, as amply demonstrated, CS trading is ad hoc, supplemented by referral to Wikipedia for the more esoteric aspects.

“do you just say the first thing that comes into your head.” I’ve been banging on two principal points since my first post – transparency about contract. It would seem, however, your replies reflect the first thing to enter your head, totally lacking in consideration. Moreover, each is an indictment.

Steve,

“There are clearly more aspects involved in ‘market making’ than most people understand or even know about”.

Despite your brilliant contributions (which I’ve acknowledged) to this and other posts, if you think Simon’s explanations so far constitute expertise then you are way off the mark, I’m afraid.

Grant.

Very nice then if i want to short Ftse100 premarket i request a buy and after i have been rejected the price will move up 2 points i will sell at better price !!

Perhaps someone would clarify this:

If you call CS for a quote, are you asked if you want to buy or sell? Or do they always provide a two-way quote. Will they give a two-way quote if you don't reveal whether you are looking to buy or sell?

Grant.

Perhaps someone would clarify this:

If you call CS for a quote, are you asked if you want to buy or sell? Or do they always provide a two-way quote. Will they give a two-way quote if you don't reveal whether you are looking to buy or sell?

Grant.

Gets better doesn't it ? why should the bookmaker know the punters intention before hand ? The last thing you want to do is disclose your own hand.

I'm interested in also, if this market maker (bookies) resereve the right to refuse any trades , is this when they deem fit for them, without notice , & does this right also include taking all prices offline if & when they want? Must do musn't it ?

Simon still hasn't given guidance on normal market size either. No client should tell the bookie before hand if they are looking to buy or sell. Seems like the service is going backwards not forwards.

Get a firm quote then let them know if you want to sell or buy their quoted price, which they have just quoted, that makes sense.

if they ask what size, why not say , well what size is that quote good for ? play the bookies hand .

Now this reserve the right to refuse, "lads take the ****in platform offline ,exercise our rights for a few minutes"

Does that go on in the industry? sure would explain why certain platforms after all these years have multiple failures still. especially around good trading opportunities when a bit of volatility kicks in.

You are right in that we offer 4 pips wide instead of the industry norm of 6 pips and we normally accept virtually every trade... but occasionally we reserve the right to reject. In the case you mentioned we move the price 2 pips in a pre-market situation. In the great scheme of things not a lot and, in this case, effectively making our price the same spread as our competitors

Simon

Does this right also include pulling all quotes on the platform, kind of like exercising the right to quote no prices when its deemed viable?

Do you have something like normal market size ? even pre market, so clients can just ask for a quoted spread without disclosing size, or their intention on direction beforehand.

Also given that situation if you then gave a firm phone quote within your normal market size, say ftse 6010/14 and then the client decides to say sell 100 at that point are you legally obliged to fill him at 6010 or could you still then pull the offer for them to trade ?

TIA.