XP Start menu

RobcPettit

Hi,
Can anybody advice me on how to custumise the 'all programs' part of the start menu. Ive recently updated my pc, and it has xp. What Im trying to do is set up 3 accounts, 1 for me and 2 for my youngsters. That parts ok, but when they access there account and hover over 'all programs' they get a list of all the programs and more importantly can still access my software ie sharescope. They cant get access to my documents if they use word or excell which is fine. What Id like to do is remove from the list all the programs listed and have a cleen sheet to add there programs. I know they probably wont access these programs any way, but the one time they did in error would be the time it would all fall apart. The only way Ive tried to so far is to delete the programs, but that removes the program from all accounts.

Regards Robert

One way is to right-click on the "Start" button and take the "Explore" option, which will open the profiles folders up. You will see various profiles, including your own, your kids, and "AllUsers", the latter containing the programs that everyone can start.

For the shortcuts that you don't want your kids to see, move them from the "AllUsers->Start Menu->Programs" folder to your own profile (ie "YourName->Start Menu->Programs").

There are other ways to do this, but this is quite quick. Hope it helps.

Paul

What I do for this is remove the All Programs menu altogether for my kids' accounts and drop shortcuts on the desktop for the programs they use.

Assuming you have XP Home Edition, I'm afraid you'll have to edit the registry using Regedit to remove the All Programs menu.

What to do is:

1. Goto Control Panel/User Accounts and change each of your kids' accounts type to 'Computer administrator' (assuming they are currently 'Limited' which I would recommend they should be).

2. Login to each of your kids' accounts in turn and do the following. Run regedit, then find and select the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Now create a DWORD value called NoStartMenuMorePrograms, and set the value to 1.

3. Log back in as yourself and put the kids' accounts back to Limited as in step 1.

As always, be careful when messing around with the registry and be sure to make a proper backup of your system before making any changes. If you've never used or even heard of Regedit before, I don't recommend you do this on your own - get someone knowledgable to help go through it with you.

If you are up for it though, have a look at the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q292504 for all sorts of stuff you can do with the Start Menu by tweaking the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292504

Some of these changes (e.g. hide Control Panel) you can do by right-clicking on the Start button, then choosing Properties, and then Advanced on the Start Menu tab, but unfortunately the All Programs entry isn't in there.

Ken

PS. My first post, hello everyone, great board!

Last edited:
Thanks to both for your replys, Ill give both a try and let you know how I get on. Thanks to Ken for your suggestion, Ill spend some time reading up on regedit then give it a go, backing up first, off course. Sorry for not replying sooner only been away.
Regards Robert

Sorry if this is a bit late, I only just saw it -
PC Answers mag September issue is currently on shelves and has a 3 page article on setting accounts up for all the family etc on pp86-88.
Dave