World Cup 2018

Did anyone else watch the match last night ?
Phew a nail biting game.
I thought England were too slow to get the ball up to the strikers. Short passing at the rear shouldn't take long. Swing the ball quickly from side to side to confuse the opposition seems better.
The refereeing was really bad. Kane was being wrestled to the ground inside the box and the ref did nothing.

The players didn't do much to make space to accept passes and run past the opposition when we had possession and mark their guys when they had possession.

Thought we were lucky against a poor side. Happy we won :clap::clap::clap:

Against better opposition we may struggle.

Was a good warm up match (y)

Did anyone else watch the match last night ?
Phew a nail biting game. . .
Yes and yes Pat.
That said, based on the comments by the pundits at half time, I think I watched a different game to most of them. They were heaping the praise on the English team - 'really, aggressive, creative and energetic' . . . 'best football in the competition so far' etc. What I saw was a comedy of errors and highly paid professionals missing chances that I reckon I could have put away. Creating opportunities is only half the job and of little use unless - at the very least - they result in a shot at goal. I think we were bloody lucky to win the game and the Tunisians will be feeling justifiably hard done by to have lost it. Okay, Kane is good and he did score two goals - fair play to him. However, he's no talisman and I can't see him winning us the competition in the way that Ronaldo might for Portugal.

I expect we'll beat Panama on Sunday which will be enough to see us through to the next round. However, our final game in the group is against Belgium and I think they'll beat us comfortably and highlight the fact that we don't have any truly world class players in our squad.
Tim.

Yes and yes Pat.
That said, based on the comments by the pundits at half time, I think I watched a different game to most of them. They were heaping the praise on the English team - 'really, aggressive, creative and energetic' . . . 'best football in the competition so far' etc. What I saw was a comedy of errors and highly paid professionals missing chances that I reckon I could have put away. Creating opportunities is only half the job and of little use unless - at the very least - they result in a shot at goal. I think we were bloody lucky to win the game and the Tunisians will be feeling justifiably hard done by to have lost it. Okay, Kane is good and he did score two goals - fair play to him. However, he's no talisman and I can't see him winning us the competition in the way that Ronaldo might for Portugal.

I expect we'll beat Panama on Sunday which will be enough to see us through to the next round. However, our final game in the group is against Belgium and I think they'll beat us comfortably and highlight the fact that we don't have any truly world class players in our squad.
Tim.

Given that the majority of the Belgian team play in the premiership, I would suggest that their will be no nasty surprises for the England camp. (y)

Verdict...evenly balanced....so depends who turns up on the day.

So assuming that the group stages don't present a problem, then we have to look at the knockout stage. Group G1 and 2 play GroupH 1 and 2. GroupH qualifying teams are likely to be Japan and Poland.....Hardly stiff opposition whichever team we meet ! Progression to the Quarters ought to be routine :LOL:, but this is England we are talking about !

The noticable difference already in this campaign is that there is zero talk of, just needing a point from this or that game. I suspect Southgate has told them to get out there and win....The fallback position being....don't lose the game...

Last edited:
Patience was the style liked it, not someting you see in England in previous years.
Well done Gareth Southgate learnt the trade under el tel.
Should beat Belguim in the last game.
Japan could be a problem in round 2(if) when they start turning the players very quick and good on the ball.
France should winthe final, they beat the Aussies after all:LOL:

Patience was the style liked it, not someting you see in England in previous years.
Well done Gareth Southgate learnt the trade under el tel.
Should beat Belguim in the last game.
Japan could be a problem in round 2(if) when they start turning the players very quick and good on the ball.
France should winthe final, they beat the Aussies after all:LOL:

:LOL:

Aussies should stick to sports they are good at (y)

Oh wait !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44539728

:clap::clap::clap:

Everyone knows the Ozzies are world champs at wrestling crocs, shagging roos and BS in the pub.

:LOL:

Here is a chance for Brazil to shine.

Attachments

• football 6.PNG
    football 6.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 133
Come on Pat.
What's your call for the winner.

I stick with the French.
Now that is a good question mate.

What with the Germans and Argentinians losing it is anybody's tournament.

You are right the Frenchies are in with a chance.

My pick has to be Brazil depending on their game today.

Yes well I watched quite a lot of the Brazil/Costa Rica game. Only in the last 10 minutes did Brazil up the momentum and CR were tired. Not exactly wonderful but good enough.
Still think they will win.
Did you watch the game ?

England are playing again tomorrow. Should win.

Attachments

• football 7.PNG
    football 7.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I think Mexico are a contender for the Cup.
They try hard with skill.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of the Team's HQ. Are they lounging around drinking etc. or analysing the next opponents ?
They should be watching and commenting on the videos of their next opponents' tactics, weak spots etc, and making counter tactics.

Even such small points e.g. who takes their penalty kicks and where does he like to put the ball. Top right, bottom left etc.

Lots to do on and off the field to stand a chance of winning imho. Just turning up on the day isn't good enough.

:smart:

. . . Even such small points e.g. who takes their penalty kicks and where does he like to put the ball. Top right, bottom left etc. . .
Fear not Pat, if you (and millions of others) have had thoughts like this, then there's a half decent chance that Mr. Southgate and his squad have as well!
;)

FWIW, my predictions are:
1. England will beat Panama today, but lose to Belgium on Thursday. So, we'll qualify for the last sixteen as group G's runner-up.
2. We'll beat the winner of group H in the next round (Japan or Senegal???) to progress to the quarter finals (to face Brazil or Mexico???) and get knocked out on penalties at that stage.
3. The final will be between Belgium and France and the French will steal victory by a late goal.
Tim.