World Cup 2018

Pat494

Legendary member
13,205 1,269
Yes well I watched quite a lot of the Brazil/Costa Rica game. Only in the last 10 minutes did Brazil up the momentum and CR were tired. Not exactly wonderful but good enough.
Still think they will win.
Did you watch the game ?

Pat494

Legendary member
13,205 1,269
I think Mexico are a contender for the Cup.
They try hard with skill.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,205 1,269
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of the Team's HQ. Are they lounging around drinking etc. or analysing the next opponents ?
They should be watching and commenting on the videos of their next opponents' tactics, weak spots etc, and making counter tactics.

Even such small points e.g. who takes their penalty kicks and where does he like to put the ball. Top right, bottom left etc.

Lots to do on and off the field to stand a chance of winning imho. Just turning up on the day isn't good enough.

:smart:

timsk

Legendary member
6,862 1,777
. . . Even such small points e.g. who takes their penalty kicks and where does he like to put the ball. Top right, bottom left etc. . .
Fear not Pat, if you (and millions of others) have had thoughts like this, then there's a half decent chance that Mr. Southgate and his squad have as well!
;)

FWIW, my predictions are:
1. England will beat Panama today, but lose to Belgium on Thursday. So, we'll qualify for the last sixteen as group G's runner-up.
2. We'll beat the winner of group H in the next round (Japan or Senegal???) to progress to the quarter finals (to face Brazil or Mexico???) and get knocked out on penalties at that stage.
3. The final will be between Belgium and France and the French will steal victory by a late goal.
Tim.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,205 1,269
Fear not Pat, if you (and millions of others) have had thoughts like this, then there's a half decent chance that Mr. Southgate and his squad have as well!
;)

FWIW, my predictions are:
1. England will beat Panama today, but lose to Belgium on Thursday. So, we'll qualify for the last sixteen as group G's runner-up.
2. We'll beat the winner of group H in the next round (Japan or Senegal???) to progress to the quarter finals (to face Brazil or Mexico???) and get knocked out on penalties at that stage.
3. The final will be between Belgium and France and the French will steal victory by a late goal.
Tim.
Some good reasoning imho Tim. But if Brazil all turn up on the day they in my opinion should win with your picks a close second.
We shall have to wait and see.
Have you any of your hard earned on yet ?
Oscar's a betting man and should have a wod on ??

timsk

Legendary member
6,862 1,777
. . .Have you any of your hard earned on yet ? . . .
No Pat, I'm not a betting man - not like that, anyway.

Just a thought about our game against Panama today . . . I'd love to see Panama score an early goal so that we have to come from behind. That would make for an exciting game. However, I suspect it'll be the other way around, and then England will go into defensive mode to protect their lead - and that'll make for a very dull match. As professionals, the job of the players is to win the game any way they can; entertaining millions of spectators who've given up a chunk of their Sunday to watch them comes a dim and distant second.
Tim.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,205 1,269
Just watching even the better teams, their free kicks from near the opponents' box leaves a lot to be desired. Their usual is an uninspired kick straight into the wall who clear it - useless !

I would suggest 2 men line up with either one to take the kick. If possible a left footer and a right footer. Position a man wide on the left and another on the right so the option of a quick pass is on either way and a first time pass to the front of the goal to be headed in.
Now the team has the option of a curler either way or a quick pass either way.

Not rocket science but a lot better than the woeful efforts seen so far.

Hope I haven't bored you with my amateur musings.

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,253 2,338
Make a Call Mate.

Who Will Win the Final.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:We Wait the CV Call:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I agree with Pat in that anyone could win this world cup.

The only outstanding team so far has been Belgium but i'm beginning to wonder if they haven't shown too much too early. So with that in mind, i'm saying Belgium will go out. Also going out will be Argentina and Germany.

There have been flashes of brilliance from England, Spain, Brazil, Portugal, France and we cannot discount Russia, Uruguay and Mexico.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say England can win by teamwork. All they have to do is neutralise the superstars and treat every game as if it's the final. They have enough of a strike force to win any match. The winning formula has to be domination of the midfield.

As Rochdale proved in last yrs FA cup match against Tottenham. It's just 11 v 11 and the reason why predictions in football matches are pure folly! :LOL:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
timsk The Foyer 13
Oscar Reed The Foyer 10
Oscar Reed The Foyer 15
Pat494 The Foyer 153
S The Foyer 2