Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Speaking of TA, Charlie says this morning

"Taking all of last weeks analysis and next weeks FOMC meeting into account, it looks as though we are set up for some flat to downside until Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday....... If my EWA is correct our take off to greater heights begins in the middle to end of next week.......another piece of evidence that a major move is in the offing. EWA says it's likely to be a Bull Run........just be ready to protect yourself if it's a move to the downside.............remember that inability to rise after the last pivot is a sign of weakness and if something doesn't come along (like Alan Greenspan) to revive the cat then it's body is likely to fall through the crack.........this discussion bears upon the grander issue that I (recently) suggested that you ponder - why we may be set up for another major recession"

Make of that what you will. Recently Charlie seems to be suggesting that there is a final bull rally waiting in the wings before a major downturn (to 9000 or below) comes along.

Thats the beauty of TA, you can interpret it in so many different ways depending on which indicators you favour and how much weight you ascribe to them. One thing is for sure - there will always be signals that you can retrospectively identify that told you the market was due a rally or a dump !

I believe that we could be due some downside prior to the FOMC meeting next week since 10700 has remained firmly intact as the resistance ceiling for 4 months now and unless this is convincingly breached the market will not move higher. A rate hike or pause may be the trigger for the next directional move. I went long twice on the Dow at Friday lunchtime when it finally broke through resistance at 10600. I closed one position at 10645 and am still holding the other. I moved my stop up to 10590 after last nights close in order to see if it can hold above 10600 on Monday but if it stops me out there I'll go short again.

Still bearish over the longer term trend !

kriesau said:
Interesting Quote from Dr Gary Hirst, author of the section on Global Macro Funds in the prestigious book "Hedge Funds: Dstinctive Strategies and Techniques"

"I was very, very skeptical that Technical Analysis had any value so I used computers to check it out and what I learned was that there was, in fact, no useful reality there.

Statistically and mathmatically all these tools - Stochastics, RSI, Chart Patterns, Elliott Wave and so on just don't work. If you code any of these rigorously into a computer and back test them they produce no statistical basis for making money, they're just wishful thinking.

But I did find one thing that worked. In fact just about all technical analysis can be reduced to one thing, though most people don't realize it - the distribution of returns are not normal, they are skewed and have "fat tails". In other words markets do produce profitable trends.

Sure I found things that worked over the short term, systems that may work for 5 or 10 years and then fail miserably. Everything that you made you gave back. Over the long term trends is where the money is"

Interesting, and I wonder how he determines if a stock is in a trend? Does he per chance pull up a balance sheet examine the fundamentals and proclaim "My this stock must be in a trend! I think I'll buy some." Or does he per chance examine a chart? Could it be that the determination of a trend in a stock is a feature of technical analysis?

roguetrader said:
Interesting, and I wonder how he determines if a stock is in a trend? Does he per chance pull up a balance sheet examine the fundamentals and proclaim "My this stock must be in a trend! I think I'll buy some." Or does he per chance examine a chart? Could it be that the determination of a trend in a stock is a feature of technical analysis?
He doesn't elaborate on how he identifies trends. There are obviously sectors that are in uptrends and downtrends at any given moment in time but there still needs to be criteria to indentify stocks within the uptrend sectors that are likely to outperform.

The bottom line is that there is no Holy Grail or failsafe system that can guarantee success. The market is a jungle and like any explorer you develop, discover and use tools that you find are most effective in helping you to try and achieve your objective. What works best for one person doesn't necessary work as well for another. Different indicators work more or less effectively at different times. I'm constantly testing and refining the indicators that I use and as a result inevitable have good runs and bad runs.

Indices are more volatile than individual stocks, but with potentially bigger swings in the short term.

In the end it is a numbers game and the key is come out with more winning than losing trades or an effective ratio of bigger winners to losers. :)

mickandpete said:
This may be of interest
Daily update of Katrina effect
http://eia.doe.gov/

thanks, and a quote from there

'While the peak crude oil production loss from Hurricane Katrina was similar to Hurricane Ivan last year and even less than Hurricane Dennis earlier this year, the pace of restoration is expected to be much more similar to Hurricane Ivan than any of the other recent hurricanes. For example, while the peak daily loss in crude oil production during Hurricane Dennis was slightly more than suffered following Hurricane Katrina, within a week of the peak loss, crude oil production following Hurricane Dennis was back to normal while it will likely be months before crude oil production is back to normal following Hurricane Katrina. '
(my highlight)

kriesau said:

Interesting article! In UK, housing bubble is appearing to be shrinking albeit some tailing effects in the North. But, more interestingly, FTSE is still rallying on the strength of BP and oil majors. The question is whether there could be any similar market uplifting force in the US when the housing bubble is burst or shrunk.

money going from housing to stock market.. big push bulls red mist or should I say blue ;) and then big fall and implode?

DOOM and GLOOM

Imho it is very easy to fall into the doom and gloom trap ( sorry shorters ),
It rarely happens

Pat494 said:
Imho it is very easy to fall into the doom and gloom trap ( sorry shorters ),
It rarely happens

What do you mean by this pat ? That the market is not bear any more....

My understanding of the market right now is the following:

On Monday we have the opec meeting:
Analysis as follows....
Even if opec do increase their production does it really have that much of an impact as the consumption has increased 3 times the production and I think will always be the case...As a result of this I see that the dow jones will fall and then stabalise in the 10600 -10650 region...

On Tuesday we have the FOMC Meeting:
Analysis as follows....
I am 99% positive that the there will be another rate hike and this will continue through out the year well till december...and he will be using the Famous "measured pace" in his statement this time as well.......
Impact NEGATIVE
As a result of this I see the fall of the dow starting at this point and this will continue mid october probably going down to the 9900-10000 level.....
(I have take the so called Red October and the heavy selling that generally takes place in this period as well......
I also think that like other people have said that the 10700 resistance will hold....especially at this time of the month
So I Personally will be shorting around the 10700 level if it gets there ....
Best of luck
Hope this helps
Sorry if this seems negative to the bulls out there....... ;)

gmca686 said:
Stock market crash coming !!

See article http://www.safehaven.com/article-3799.htm

I hope its soon as my shorts are getting a bit tired looking!
regards, G McA

Some of that article uses Michigan sentiment as an indicator. I would value that indicator as completely useless.

are you aware how this is calculated?

It is a telephone survey of 500 people.

So how can that represent millions and millions of people? And such a small survey could have considerable bias without having any significance to the whole population. And if you do any research into peoples perception and actual reality... they can be two completely different things and they can respond completely differently not only to reality of expectations but also themselves compared to the rest of the population.. there will be considerable personal bias.

But I have seen the Dow fall considerably on release of this particular indicator, but I think that fall would have happened anyway, it was just an excuse.. as oil is now. The market was primed to do what it was set up to do regardless.

Last edited:
Rav700
Company results and that is what it's mainly about just don't support the crash to below 10,000 imho. There are loads of very good and well reasoned posts supporting the crash scenario but it isn't in my view going to happen. Markets all around the world are gearing up as never before. Universities all around the world are pointing their cleverest students into business. They used to waste the most talented on Latin/ancient Greek/religion etc. Expect ever faster change with the conservative change resistant to fall further and further behind.

Pat494, I don't think the market goes by earnings that much, unless they are very bad or very good, and even then the reaction can be the opposite of what you expect. Take for example some FTSE companies recently, earnings poor, outlook guarded yet the share price went up.. because they could be taken over perhaps....
It is underlying sentiment that counts not the companies or their earnings

Universities all around the world are pointing their cleverest students into business. They used to waste the most talented on Latin/ancient Greek/religion etc.

Your definition of waste is not the same as mine, then. :)

frugi said:
Your definition of waste is not the same as mine, then. :)
I totally agree with racer....
Market sentiment is what counts and not the earnings.......
And Also I am not saying there is going to be a crash please dont get me wrong but am just trying to tell you that the market will start going down at the end of sep till mid october due to the various factors.............

mmm, ultimately it's earnings and dividends - that's why the flippin' thing's been going up for 200 years.

Working on the theory that the markets prove most of us wrong sooner or later, i can only say
nil desperandum

barjon said:
mmm, ultimately it's earnings and dividends - that's why the flippin' thing's been going up for 200 years.

Ah but is it.. about earnings and divis? Perhaps at the beginning and end of the bigger trends when they are stretched to the limit
Futures drive a lot of the markets... that is block trading of block of shares of all components and do futures traders care about divs and earnings? No not a bit, all the care about is if it is going up or down, a lot don't even know the dow components. Now most of the markets are driven by computers triggering stops etc., or bought and sold on some strategy or other, e.g. rate of change of the curve.

Racer said:
........Ah but is it.. about earnings and divis?......... .

Ultimately it must be - not everyone is a trader. What would happen to the market if it were announced that, henceforth and for evermore, no company would pay a dividend?

Traders may, indeed, trade sentiment without bothering about investment income but, again, that sentiment is ultimately about future prospects for companies and whether they'll be able to turn a buck or two.

good trading

jon