Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

I totally agree with racer....
Market sentiment is what counts and not the earnings.......
And what would you say underpins sentiment over the long term?
Futures drive a lot of the markets...
Futures are a derivative, an improtant concept to remember, in the short term the gyrations of the futures can whip the markets around, but in te long term the future will obey the cash, not the other way around. IMHO that is of course.

Indices also tend to go up over the long term because periodically the tired losers are chucked out to make room for the rising stars?

Rav700 - not sure why you quoted me earlier? My comment to Pat was totally off-topic; I merely blanched at the idea that a classical education should be conisdered a "waste" when compared to a glittering career in business.

frugi said:
Indices also tend to go up over the long term because periodically the tired losers are chucked out to make room for the rising stars?

Rav700 - not sure why you quoted me earlier? My comment to Pat was totally off-topic; I merely blanched at the idea that a classical education should be conisdered a "waste" when compared to a glittering career in business.

Sorry mate was not quoting you did that by mistake.....
Hi Guys,
I am expressing my thoughts on the near term future rather than anything else....
And that is dow jones to go down in the next 2 weeks....
Happy trading everyone.. ;)

I expect I will get into trouble here pointing out that Fundamental theorists are all too often scratching thir proverbial heads and saying that shouldn't have happened !
Well either they have got their analysis wrong somehow or the markets sometimes behave erratically. Either way a bit of a problem.
Perhaps chaos theory could explain it ?
( alright alright - rubbish & I'm getting off)

Racer said:
Thank you for the information, going to the gulf of Mexico.....hmm,. better go short oil and long the dow in that case :rolleyes:
Hi racer just read you comments...
Short on the Oil and Long on the Dow.....What article are you refering to when you made this recomendation... :rolleyes:

I believe the next reason for the Dow to go down could be a combination of earnings and Iran...

mickandpete said:
I believe there was a touch of irony in racers post
See my post 6909
Yes mickandpete and more than a touch

;)

Last edited:
Racer said:
Now most of the markets are driven by computers triggering stops etc., or bought and sold on some strategy or other, e.g. rate of change of the curve.

How high will the program trading percentage be for last week ? Options expiry, S&P reweighting, huge volume. 60 %, 65 %, 70 % ?

Interesting report from Brad DeLong detailing the split among economists at the Jackson Hole conference about what will happen when the dollar falls in value.

Appropriate to the discussion here over the weekend - apologies, I only found the link this morning.