Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

'Voting for the FOMC monetary policy action were: Alan Greenspan, Chairman; Timothy F. Geithner, Vice Chairman; Susan S. Bies; Roger W. Ferguson, Jr.; Richard W. Fisher; Edward M. Gramlich; Donald L. Kohn; Michael H. Moskow; Mark W. Olson; Anthony M. Santomero; and Gary H. Stern. '

It took them 'all' nearly 2 hours to realise they had left a word out? Hmm, not very good that?

bugger..

interesting day yesterday, eh?

still in this short from 10,300. didnt get out of it as my take profit order was in at 10,190.

not amused by the comedy late spike.

and liverpool won too. balls..

time to go and find the severn bridge..

SOCRATES said:
I am sure what is about to unfold is perfectly obvious to you all too.

So do you mean by "all" everyone who is likely to be reading this thread? If so then you assume that that only "advanced" traders will be reading this thread, presumably.

SOCRATES said:
Precisely, but you are answering your own question and you don't somehow realise it. I cannot realise it for you, you have to realise it yourself by developing the skills necessary to do it.

You continue to evade the point by obfuscation.
If you have something meaningful to communicate then do so with clarity.
Semantic riddles don't imply either insight or intellect.

SOCRATES said:
And by the way before this leads to another question, I will answer it befor it is asked.

The skills you need to develop are the skills required to read the market. The higher your level of skill the more accurately you can read it.

When the skills are highly developed not only can you read the market as if it were a sentence, you can detect by all the full stops, commas, semicolons, exclamation marks and all the other punctuation, what the unfolding story really signifies and all it infers, and then of course, the most probable likely outcome.

The greater the skill level, the greater the ability of the reader to replicate with unerring accuracy.

This is just patronizing nonsense. There are professional technical analysts who cannot read the market with any degree of precision. TA relates to the laws of probability and is not an exact science. Other factors such as fundamentals, political developments and even the odd cliche, included or excluded, in a Fed announcement all impact the markets on a consistent basis.

If you are so smart why

a) Don't you demonstrate your great insight by posting the moves that you believe the market is going to make every day over a couple of weeks and we can see how accurate you are.

b) aren't you rich and relaxing on your multi-million pound yacht in the Caribbean instead of posting this message board.

Meantime us mere mortals will continue to play the market using the tools that we both hope and think will optimize our chances of making some money.

FetteredChinos said:
he likes the look of his own text...

im getting a nasty case of font-envy.

Hmmm - you're probably right.

What I dimly recall, from my politics & philosophy classes of many years ago, was that the real Socrates eschewed science in favour of philosophy. He believed that he was wise only because he realized that he knew nothing and therefore concluded that the main purpose of his life was to strive for knowledge. It was his subsequent irreverence towards authority that ultimately led to his downfall rather than any claim to wisdom or great insight.

indeed, his downfall was his arrogance..despite his protestations of ignorance

when on trial for corrupting the young, (does that sound familiar nowadays lol), he declared, when found guilty, that his punishment should be that he should be set free, with a handsome reward etc.

funnily enough, the Athenian council werent to happy with this..

I used to enjoy reading threads like this one but after a few years, I now prefer to make up my own mind and stick to it. With over 3,000 posts, all I can see is the Dow and others might be going up or down or perhaps sideways. Then we have Socrates, who knows where it is going but couldn't possibly let us know in advance. While I find this quite amusing, I remember the days when I used to get influenced by what other people were thinking and that never worked for me.

FetteredChinos said:
indeed, his downfall was his arrogance..despite his protestations of ignorance

when on trial for corrupting the young, (does that sound familiar nowadays lol), he declared, when found guilty, that his punishment should be that he should be set free, with a handsome reward etc.

funnily enough, the Athenian council werent to happy with this..

I have not been reading this thread for long, one month maybe.

I have read nothing from our friend, Socrates of any value, and it appears to me that he is nothing more than a troll.

So I was surprised to see the title of legendary member under his username.

Members can rate different posters by clicking on the username - not a great solution, but at least an opportunity to give feedback.

Minder said:

Members can rate different posters by clicking on the username - not a great solution, but at least an opportunity to give feedback.

sadly you can only vote once...

:cheesy:

back to today's action.

right.. after all the hubbub yesterday, it seemed as though tuesday was a "sell" day in hindsight.. the day closed near monday's high.

therefore, im expecting a short-sell day. with an early high followed by a steady decline today.

futures are currently up near 10,290, so it looks to be going according to plan.

might have another poke above 10,300 to suck in some longs before heading down.

as always, trade what youy yourselves see, but im still short.

which probably means that Racer is long lol.

FC

kriesau said:
This is just patronizing nonsense. There are professional technical analysts who cannot read the market with any degree of precision. TA relates to the laws of probability and is not an exact science. Other factors such as fundamentals, political developments and even the odd cliche, included or excluded, in a Fed announcement all impact the markets on a consistent basis.

If you are so smart why

a) Don't you demonstrate your great insight by posting the moves that you believe the market is going to make every day over a couple of weeks and we can see how accurate you are.

b) aren't you rich and relaxing on your multi-million pound yacht in the Caribbean instead of posting this message board.

Meantime us mere mortals will continue to play the market using the tools that we both hope and think will optimize our chances of making some money.
You are completely off the putty, you really are Kriesau.

FC,

Is the 3-day cycle flexible, then ?

Using some intra-day data, I can see the behaviour (quite interesting), but I think sometimes the pattern stretches itself over 2 days.

Also, I think the pattern doesnt follow through over the weekend. (Friday to Monday)
ie; it works better over consecutive calendar days.

This title is awarded based on the number of posts made, not the quality of them. So if you post enough rubbish you can be a legendary member too.

correct on all counts trendie..

it works best when just looking at the previous day, and seeing what happened then.

largely sideways for most of yesterday.. implies that consolidation is underway.

after a recent run up./down,would favour a bit of a retrace.. usually accompanied by a fake in the original direction of the move.

as such , i would be suspicious and even more cycnical over anything about 10,300 today.

target to bag profits is 10,190.

SOCRATES said:
You are completely off the putty, you really are Kriesau.

More meaningless innuendo !

Is your command of English so mediocre that you cannot express yourself succintly ?
"Off the putty" what the hell does that mean ?

Do you actually live on planet Earth ?

ladies.. handbags away please.

:)

we have done pretty well to get through 3,000 posts on this thread without a bunfight thus far. can we save the barny for the Where is the Dow & Others heading in 2006 thread?

ta

C

justyn said:
This title is awarded based on the number of posts made, not the quality of them. So if you post enough rubbish you can be a legendary member too.
This is not exactly correct either.The really best stuff cannot be posted on a public forum.
And when you are given a glimpse you immediately assume it is rubbish according to your
frame of reference, which is the identification of rubbish, and nothing else but nonsense.

Kind Regards.

kriesau said:
More meaningless innuendo !

Is your command of English so mediocre that you cannot express yourself succintly ?
"Off the putty" what the hell does that mean ?

Do you actually live on planet Earth ?
My dear fellow, it does not matter in which language or how anything may be explained to you, you do not seem to understand it. I am not persisting any further with you, because there is no point.

Kind Regards.

SOCRATES said:
This is not exactly correct either.The really best stuff cannot be posted on a public forum.

why not?

Socco, you attempts to educate, or at least help other people on here really arent going too well.

please either re-assess your didactic method. or just bung a cork in it.