What do you tell people you "do"?

When people ask what you do for a living, what do you say?

Day trader? Futures Trader? Options trader? Stock trader?

All of these labels seem to evoke the vision of an unemployed guy sitting in his pajamas all day gambling. To avoid petty conversation and confusion by telling people I trade futures, I just tell them I'm an independent investor. They usually don't ask much more after that.

What about you? Stories? :cheesy:

When people ask what you do for a living, what do you say?

Day trader? Futures Trader? Options trader? Stock trader?

All of these labels seem to evoke the vision of an unemployed guy sitting in his pajamas all day gambling. To avoid petty conversation and confusion by telling people I trade futures, I just tell them I'm an independent investor. They usually don't ask much more after that.

What about you? Stories? :cheesy:

Tell 'em you're a pianist in a brothel. It's more interesting and most blokes can relate to it.

Derivatives Trader...........

That normally curtails any further chit chat !!

Well, I'm not doing it as a full time yet, so I can still answer what I do for a living without people looking at me differently. However, I do as a part-time, so there are a quite people who know that I do it. I usually tell them that I'm a Forex trader.. if they ask what it is, I'll explain.. simple!

I tell them I'm a serial killer. It doesn't pay well but the job satisfaction is high. Either that or the conversation descends into me saying that'...I look for repeating patterns comprised of a confluence of ...' which like the poster above, usually kills it off.

Last edited:
I find if you mention you a successful gambler or trader from home they usually want to know how which can lead to lengthy explanations. So something else. Not too boring unless you want to end the conversation and not too interesting like pimping for pretty girls or they will want some.
Actor gives a lot of leeway on the roles one can opt for.

I'd be interested to know what full-time spread bettors put down as occupations on forms for eg. car insurance. For the last 2 years I've listed myself as unemployed. The last thing I want to put is 'Trader' in case HMRC gets a sniff of it. I'm also worried the trader tag would put you in the same super-high risk category as 'Actor' or 'Footballer'

If I have to tell anyone I'm trading, I am very dismissive of it - you know the sort of thing - its just a bit of fun, just a side-line, just for pocket money.

The odd thing is, the more I try to play it down, the more they think I must be raking it in.

I don't have any of the problems that many of you outline here, as I just say "I'm on the staff for an online community forum". This invariably concludes the very brief conversation about my occupation, but it's not without it's problems. The response is usually that they have XYZ technical issue with their phone, tablet or lappy etc. and ask my advice on what to do. When I say I'm a technophobe, a Luddite, and that I know sweet FA about any of that stuff, they look utterly perplexed. " But, you just said you work for . . ."

Not unreasonably I suppose, there's a common (mis)perception that anyone who works for an internet based company is a tech nerd that knows anything and everything about computers etc. Even my wife doesn't quite believe me when I say that I know no more about them than she does and to phone customers services when she's got a problem. I genuinely don't have a clue - and absolutely zero interest!
Tim.

Great question!

What I would love to say (but would get too many funny looks):

"I am an artist at living. My work of art is my life" (Suzuki)

What I would like to ask:

"Do you mean "How do I spend my days?" or "How do I make money?" because they are not the same thing, as in pay-per-hour professions"

What I actually say:

"Oh I am still doing that freelance thing I was doing before. Yes, I have enough work thank you".

My immediate family know what I do but my extended family and friends have no idea and are sometimes a little perplexed at how much free time I seem to have.

My husband thinks I should just tell everyone the truth (he thinks what we traders do is really cool) but there is NO WAY I am getting into an explanation of trading with any of them. The way trading is perceived by the majority of people (including traders) is so alien to how I actually spend my time, I wouldn't even know where to start.

I am thinking of starting a blog (non-trading) as a bit of a cover, so at least I can say "oh, I'm a blogger" and be classed as someone who just pisses about on the internet. Which I suppose is what trading is, so not so far from the truth! :LOL:

depends on who if fine young lady i'm an "International currency trader & Financier. A mover and shaker of global economies". they ALWAYS perk after that :D

I usually tell the truth, I mean that I trade in forex. Some people are sceptical about it, others don't care at all, but most people are interested and ask me about trade and how much it is possible to make here.

I tell people I am self employed ......if I can be arsed and the person is interesting to talk to we may stray into my trading and training work as well as discussing what they do..

....but rarely.....I’m generally ok just listening to the mindless drivel of the person concerned until my wife says we can leave ......to allow them the chance to give me their expert opinion on markets and trading and investing is just pouring petrol on the flames

N:smart: