What do you say you do for a living?

I don't even tell the Missus I trade. I let slip I might be spending all this time on the laptop writing a novel. (Mind you, that might be more profitable...). Well, the mortgage is paid, the kids are grown, so the worst thing I can do is lose the housekeeping money...

Of course, when I start raking in millions :) :cool: I'm going to have to tell her, but by then she might not have any objections.

I usually say I'm a made member of the mob and that me and my crew are active in the meatpacking business. This by itself will shut most people up, since they can stop themselves imagining me slaughtering some poor guy with a blunt meat cleaver for asking questions like they just did.

I've had a change in heart on this question.

Say F#$%ing NOTHING, IT"S NONE OF THEIR Fing BUSINESS!!!

I usually say I'm a made member of the mob and that me and my crew are active in the meatpacking business. This by itself will shut most people up, since they can stop themselves imagining me slaughtering some poor guy with a blunt meat cleaver for asking questions like they just did.

I really, really, dig this guy's attitude.

wow
your not superstitious!
be careful is my only advise I can give you, go slow, and don t start being greedy that is the only way to keep constant winnings.
I just started trading about a month ago and am very successful. What do you tell people you do to make all this money? What is your job title?

I'm a bit superstitious so I don't scream out loud what I do. But financial consultant usually does the trick.

this is reallyinteresting question and every one wants to know what u do specially when they always find u gazing ur laptop and enjoying house comforts 24/7....even i felt it hard to explain people what i do exectly...but finally now i say "i work as an consultant for some software:p overseas company" and i work as a free lancer i get my pay by check:cheesy:

and i got this JOB:smart:

I usually tell people I am a day trader, as most people have a vague idea of what that is. I had the pleasure of explaining forex to my father-in-law and telling him that his only daughter is surviving strictly on foreign exchange trading. Went much better than I thought it would, he even offered some capital to help fund our accounts! :)

I just tell them the truth. I'm a petroleum equipment contractor!
Most people I know ,also know I trade currencies. This has raised eyebrows, because they haven't got a clue , or even heard of forex. If they want an explanation, I get right into it. They lose interest very quickly and change the subject!
Now to AtlanaAnna!
Hope things are going well for you girl! I see you havent posted for a while.
If I may offer some guidance.
As you probably well know by now, Forex can eat you up very quickly.Its the nature of the market.
It's happened to me also, blowing a small account and starting over.
I've traded now for 2 years and these are my results:
- first mini acc. tripled within six months ( definite confidence builder)
- blew entire account within 1.5 months ( felt like I fell off a cliff)
- opened another mini acc. and blew it ( revenge trading )
- sat out for a while ( learned about forex and myself)
- re-opened another acc. ( a little better armed this time)
- Today- marginally profitable/ to breakeven
- Gained invaluable experience

So the lesson I learned from all this is IT MUST BE TREATED LIKE A BUSINESS>
I may be fortunate in this department as I have successfully built a business
over the last 15 years, and can use that knowledge for forex.

-1- Have a plan ( short term and long term goals)
2- Learn every thing you can to achieve those goals
3- Practice strict money management
4- Let pitfalls be your way to success
5- Never! Never! let anyone tell you you cant do something!!

Follow these rules and the world is yours on a silver platter!!