What do you say you do for a living?

AtlanaAnna

I just started trading about a month ago and am very successful. What do you tell people you do to make all this money? What is your job title?

Keep your business to yourself. If you must tell someone about your success, tell us!

Seriously, in these hard times you might breed resentment. It's like winning the lottery, you'll always have friends until the lot is gone. Then, no one wants to know.

Probably, lots would be satisfied with you being "something" in the city. Don't be specific.

Good luck with your trading

I just started trading about a month ago and am very successful. What do you tell people you do to make all this money? What is your job title?

Why be ashamed of what you do....Tell the truth.

It's not illegal or wrong. As for resentment as splitlink mentions. This is true, but its also true it will show who your friends are...money or no money...real friends are just that, every one else are just people you know.

Why be ashamed of what you do....Tell the truth.

It's not illegal or wrong. As for resentment as splitlink mentions. This is true, but its also true it will show who your friends are...money or no money...real friends are just that, every one else are just people you know.

What you say is true, but I think it is better to play a low profile, if possible. Times have changed. There are those who will scratch a Rolls out of spite.

I trade foreign currencies. Therefore I tell people I trade foreign currencies. What a bizarre question.

What you say is true, but I think it is better to play a low profile, if possible. Times have changed. There are those who will scratch a Rolls out of spite.

There are those who see ability, dedication and possesion of brain cells as unfair advantage. Always reminds me of the UK 1970s worker who resented his Director's Jag whereas his US counterpart's thought was - "I'm gonna get one of those."

I just tell people "I follow the stockmarket" - they can think what they will - doesn't alter the contents of my wallet. But Split is right - they don't like to think you're getting something for nothing. But it's OK to win the lottery and for footballers of limited intellect to earn thousands a week. Beats me.

This may be true....I have had some quite nice cars in my short time and never had any problems with them being scratched ect...maybe its the way you park or where you park:LOL:

Times have changed..and theres more camera's.

Be proud about what you do...simple.

I buy and sell contracts on the market...that is what i do. And if the person I'm talking to don't like it, they can f*ckoff..

I bear no apologies for the harshness in this post....DONT be ashamed of trading for a living...pure and simple.

Well, I don't trade for a living but I make it a profitable hobby. Maybe keeping that quiet is easier for me because I am already retired and people accept that!

Well, I don't trade for a living but I make it a profitable hobby. Maybe keeping that quiet is easier for me because I am already retired and people accept that!

Agree. They don't think you've got a proper job after you've given up the day job. Best thing i ever did.

Discretion has it's place inside and outside the markets ?

Interesting questions that pops up from time to time. Ive found with social intercourse as with sexual intercourse, if I open my mouth and say the right thing at the wrong time then in both cases, the parties over!

So now when engaged in both the afore mentioned situations,I tend to keep my mouth shut & just grunt a lot, and everyone seems happier!

Depending on approached used, then trading is about reading behaviour and in that sense in your social situation it's no different. But I've noticed some people feel less comfortable in some instances and if your out in society then you don't want to make people feel uncomfortable? Especially if it's their turn to buy the beers next , and for that reason alone, in my book, warrants the use of social discretion on the matter.

Last edited:
say your a currency trader it's easier than explaining indice values or anything else more complicated, even explaining currency trading is hard enough. first reaction is, ooo, bit risky isn't it!

Thanks for all the encouragement. There are some people in my life that I fear knowing my success because they work so hard to earn what they make and I'm a little uncomfortable telling them I worked so little to make the same and more. For some people, I thought, well, I could tell them I'm a Forex Analyst. That's sort of right. I analyze the history and fundamental data of the Foreign Exchange Currency market and then according to the anticipated direction of the price of various currencies, I buy and sell contracts. Most people I know have never heard of the Forex Market. I hadn't either until 2 months ago. This is a good discussion. Thanks to everyone that shared.

When i tell people i trade the markets, they usually seem impressed, and then ask if i make lots of money/how much money. I respond by politely stating - "Thats none of your god damn business!" :(

That usually saves them from asking follow up questions like -
What exactly does this involve?
Can you show me what to do?
My brothers looking for a new job. He's good with numbers, can he come & watch what you do?
etc. etc.

God damn cheek - (n) whats in it for me :confused:
I wouldn't walk up to a teacher and ask them for a copy of their degree, PGCE, and all the teaching knowledge they possess free of charge :mad:

Seriously though. I tell people in stages what i do.

If someone asks, I tell them - I work for myself.

If they then ask what i do, i tell them - I buy and sell things.

If they are nosey enough to want to know what i buy and sell, I tell them -

contraband cigarettes :clap:.