Do you admit to being a Trader?

schoe

I just read a thread on Elitetrader which I decided to copy here. It got some interesting replies with many saying that they don't bother telling people that they trade for a living as nobody understands and a lot of people dismiss you as a gambler.

How about the chaps/chappesses on here do you tell people what you do for a living or pretend to be of another profession?

And how do your partners/wifes take the fact you trade for a living do they support you or think you are crazy and should get a 'proper' job?

I'm not a trader... hey wait, this isn't a photography forum, what am I doing here... Aaaagh!

hi schoe,

I think something of this sort has been mentioned before, but anyway....

since I am in IT consultancy, whenever I am trading in between contracts, I explain my time stuck at home, as "systems development for a finance house" ! :)

sufficiently vague I think. just combine computers with accountancy and they're asleep before I can finish the sentence!!

How about the chaps/chappesses on here do you tell people what you do for a living or pretend to be of another profession?

Hi Schoe,

By "you" in the below, obviously I don't mean you personally ... (although I'm not accusing you of not being a consistent winner, either :LOL:)

Assuming you are a consistent winner ...

Why pretend? To do so would indicate that you have something to be ashamed of, when the opposite is in fact the case. You have nothing to prove to anyone and every right to be extremely proud*. Once the market is regularly congratulating you with parcels of profits, true self-confidence will emerge from within and be more than sufficient to deflect the sideways glances of the superficially judgemental.

Trading is as "proper" as it comes, a job that demands unstinting graft and supreme personal honesty. If an ignorant society is unaware of this, what does it matter?

The obvious trappings of success by which the curtain-twitchers, ignorant, insecure and jealous are apt to judge others are optional, since the luxury of personal satisfaction has already outweighed anything the material can offer, and their opinion (at least of your "status") doesn't count for dust.

My partner is very understanding and appreciates the difficulty of the quest in hand and the sacrifices required in order to make the grade. I am very lucky to have her and friends around me who are not bound by petty convention or a corrosive envy of achievement.

So yes, if asked, I say I trade and the reactions are predictably varied, but generally very positive.

*in the positive sense, as it can mean arrogant and full of oneself

Socrates Now I know the real character behind the poster.

You are filtered

Thats more like it Socs, lighten up, it suits you better! I hope ive taken the above thread the right way, but i thought it was quite funny? All the best! RB!

No, I am not filtered. But I am obligated to apply a filter to nearly everything in order to ensure that that which is undesirable or unsuitable does not penetrate the fine mesh of the net, because that is the purpose of having a net in the first place.

RUDEBOY said:
Thats more like it Socs, lighten up, it suits you better! I hope ive taken the above thread the right way, but i thought it was quite funny? All the best! RB!

He doesn't see the light side, he feeds on attention, so ignore. I will say no more about him and his ways

I do not feed on attention. I do not understand your frame of reference as it is so far removed from my own, that is what it is really, and not what you think, Racer.

Racer, Socs is alright, youve just got to be a bit more understanding with people( sickly, i know ), its only type on a screen after all? Socs, youve got to stop...well...try to be a bit more flexible with youre approach to this site, if you dont, your undermining yourself and thats self destructive! Dont give me any of this...well if people dont understand...shyte! Youre a seasoned trader...dont be so f*****g stubborn and pompous. People want plain talk not cryptic clues. I think this site would be less without Socs, but MORE, with a straight talkin' Socs. Hope i made sense, because if not, i'm off to practice leg spin bowling with drunk nuns and live hand grenades! RB.

RUDEBOY said:
Racer, Socs is alright, youve just got to be a bit more understanding with people( sickly, i know ), its only type on a screen after all? Socs, youve got to stop...well...try to be a bit more flexible with youre approach to this site, if you dont, your undermining yourself and thats self destructive! Dont give me any of this...well if people dont understand...shyte! Youre a seasoned trader...dont be so f*****g stubborn and pompous. People want plain talk not cryptic clues. I think this site would be less without Socs, but MORE, with a straight talkin' Socs. Hope i made sense, because if not, i'm off to practice leg spin bowling with drunk nuns and live hand grenades! RB.

I rarely comment on peoples method of posting and let them get on with it, if I don't accept their views I will not try to get into an argument, why should I bother, I do not judge if he is right or not.. he is a person and free to make his own view, I make my own choice too.

Fair comment, Racer, fair comment. Socs, youve got to have a serious think about T2W matey! Otherwise forget it, thats the bottom line. You'll become an outcast, not a martyr or a diehard enthusiast, but an outcast, and that you wouldnt want. Think about it?

Thanks Frugi I enjoyed your reply and also Socrates I thought you made some good points and ironically for me it was one of your better posts so i was disappointed to see it transcended into criticism.

Anyway please keep the thread going on topic, I am finding it very interesting to ascertain if people admit/ are proud to being a trader.

I personally am not a full time trader so don't have a problem telling people what I do except that they don't always accept my other job as a cop!

Regards Schoe.

No it is not criticism as such, it is the result of sincere and helpful members giving advice, and that'e OK.

As you have read, because people have a natural propensity in this country to harbour resentment against achievement, it is not wise to admit freely if you are a succesful trader, since some people who know nothing or little about trading are apt to accuse traders of being parasites and other nonsense.

I would venture to recommend against pride in being a trader, but rather I am in favour of a deep sense of satisfaction for those who truly have mastered the topic and have succeeded in mastering themselves.

SOCRATES said:
I quite agree with you in what you say that nobody understands.

Even people who are connected with the stock market in some way or another believe it is all random.

It is therefore not wise to discuss anything with anyone except within your own circle and thern only with individuals who you know understand because they themselves are also successful traders.

It is prudent not to say anything at all and if pressed to say you are a retired taxidermist or something equally boring to put people off the scent.

You ought to make it a rule never to volunteer information such as giving market tips for example.

You might also consider when you become really successful to opt to walk around in old jeans and old sweaters with the odd moth hole in them, even if they are cashmere, because very few people can tell the difference. It is important never to show off, it makes people envious.

The best lesson I ever recieved occured when I was mugged in London and had my gold Rolex day date snatched. I was fortunate not to have been stabbed. Since then I wear an equally good wristwatch but it does not look expensive, as it is a pilot's watch.

I teach all my people to be very kind to "civilians", who are ordinary people with obligations, timetables to adhere to, jobs to keep and so on, as for us time does not matter since we are free to do precisely as we please.

I also teach them to be "grey men and women" so that they can merge into a crowd and not be singled out as different because of dress, jewellery and so on.

It is very different of course when you are in the right company, in the right place, on the right occasion.

The part played by a wife or partner is extremely important, and her cooperation is this regard is crucial.

The wife or partner of a successful trader also has to play the muted part, and not show off and be conspicuous.

She must be a good hostess, and be able to take everything in her stride, and be prepared to entertain and have some knowledge of what is being discussed about finance or trading or economics or otherwise at the dinner table, in order to keep up more or less.

She ought to also remember the likes and dislikes of individual guests who are regular visitors. She should be supportive of everything the partner does and decides, whether it involves screen watching, travel, entertaining, or conferencing.

Also which is most important she must accept not to ever enter the trading room uninvited, or to interrupt whilst trading is in progress.

If she is able to do this whilst at the same time accepting the wonderful benefits the world of trading can bring, and if she can be trained to do so, this is the ideal state, whilst still being her own person, and independent.

The wife or partner of a trader ought to be made financially secure and independent at the earliest possible, in order to remove the burden of dependency. She must be encouraged to have interests to keep her occupied, coffee mornings, hobbies, friends, and so on.

Only then can she feel confident and assured and be an asset to her partner and not a hindrance.

I can tell you all these things because they are part of my own life. They are the desired state for anyone who becomes successful in this field and is even more important on the road to that success.

i do hope that this post is tongue in cheek. otherwise you are depressingly misogynistic.

did you ever marry for love Soc?

As you have read, because people have a natural propensity in this country to harbour resentment against achievement, it is not wise to admit freely if you are a succesful trader, since some people who know nothing or little about trading are apt to accuse traders of being parasites and other nonsense.

Let them think and say these things if they wish. All water off a duck's back, unless they resort to violence, which I've yet to encounter. In any event the "parasite" argument is easily countered by facts. That said, I wouldn't go around telling random strangers that I was a trader, just for the fun of it :)

I would venture to recommend against pride in being a trader, but rather I am in favour of a deep sense of satisfaction for those who truly have mastered the topic and have succeeded in mastering themselves.

Yes, some definitions of pride carry an unwelcome charge of conceit, or disdainful behaviour, so the word was a poor choice on my part.

FetteredChinos said:
i do hope that this post is tongue in cheek. otherwise you are depressingly misogynistic.

did you ever marry for love Soc?
I am gobsmacked by your post above.

A mysoginist is a man who hates women. I do not hate women.

A virago is a woman who hates men. I very rarely meet one.

I have been married to my wife for many years, so neither of us can be either, otherwise we would have gone separate ways long ago. I think two statements in my previous post above may have upset you.

The first may be related to a trader's wife being muted. This does not mean she is browbeaten and silenced.This means it is undesireable for a trader, who has a great responsibiity to maintain a cool head, to be married to the type of woman who is an airhead, or a spendthrift or a showoff or shopaholic, or a loudmouth, or a persistent nagger, in the same way that there are unwritten codes of conduct for the wives of clergymen, commanding officers, magicians, judges and solicitors as all these professions also revolve around discretion and integrity, and self governance of the highest order.

The second may be related to the trading room. I will tell you visitors are stricly not allowed.
I will also tell you there is a switch in here that lights up a warning red light outside the door to indicate I must not be disturbed if it glows red unless the circumstances truly warrant intrusion or interruption.

As for love, a succesful marriage that lasts, has to be based on it, and many more features besides that. One of the most important is social compatibility. I have witnessed whole famiilies going astray as a result of the conflicting social backgounds of the parents.

This has even led to levels of depression so intense leading to suicide, at least in the case of one successful trader that I know of.

Kind Regards.

Your post does imply (albeit unintentionally, I'm sure) that it is inconceivable for a woman to be a trader.

Gerry