Weekly forecast for S&P 500 cash 2011

Oddly Attila, October for swing trading has been the poorest month I've had this year too. Intraday has been very good though. So it seems I'm tuned out of longer term at the moment and it's reflected in what can frankly only be described as a p1ss poor score.

As for being worse than average, this is a lifestyle choice for me my friend.

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 152
It seems to go in cycles. My hot streak seems to be over too

Up and up 1287

Pat, Im thinking it is not that your hot streak seems to be over, maybe competitors are getting a bit more serious and experienced :clap:, and thats positive, we can get to learn more from each other.
Finally the market launches from its launching pad, so no looking behind for this week, my bet is 1270.

Markets swing wildly on headlines from Europe (Chicago Options: ^REURUSD - news)

* Long-term investors steer clear of crisis-ridden markets

* Euro and S&P 500 (SNP: ^GSPC - news) trade in lock-step

NEW YORK (Frankfurt: A0DKRK - news) , Oct (KOSDAQ: 039200.KQ - news) 21 (Reuters) - The EU summit is on. No, wait, it's off. No, hold on, the summit is on, and what's more, now there are two of them.

The daily headlines out of Europe are enough to make a long-term investor's head spin and more importantly, to keep them out of the market altogether.

Markets have see-sawed all week on frequent and sometimes contradictory reports on the success or lack thereof of European leaders to deal with their region's debt crisis.

Stocks have risen on the mere suggestion of a hint of progress, with investors afraid of missing the rally that will follow if politicians finally come up with a solution.

Volume has been muted, generally spiking on sudden rallies and sell-offs. It's a sign investors are avoiding real investment decisions and chasing rallies in what has been a tough year so far.

"People have been burned by reacting to individual news stories only to have them refuted, withdrawn or contradicted," said Stephen Massocca, managing director at Wedbush Morgan in San Francisco. "It's really kind of wait and watch, which is why the volume is so low."

Trading activity has largely been the province of professional traders pinging stocks and other asset classes back and forth using futures, ETFs and blue-chip issues.

Those in the market are trading the euro , oil and stocks tightly together, as correlations between these assets have rarely been higher.

The volatile trading environment reflects the enormity of the euro zone debt crisis and fears that a Greek debt default could engulf the entire region with potentially devastating consequences for the global financial system.

That's worrisome for this reason: Even though European leaders are doubling up on summits this coming week, the vast scope of the problems means solutions are elusive. That's going to keep uncertainty and volatility high -- so look forward to more trading like this.

"The question of the euro zone's very existence in its current form continues to plague the financial markets. Global (Chicago Options: ^RJSGTRUSD - news) equities oscillate from euphoria to despair, depending on the headline," said analysts at Goldman Sachs Investment Strategy Group in a note this week.

The gyrations aren't necessarily indicative of fear and despair playing one another -- the range remains too tight, even considering the rally Friday.

It's more a sign that short-term players are using the headlines to shift large bets on trends in several markets at once. Often they appear to be shifting back the other way on the next headline.

Some have surmised that complicated algorithmic programs with strong name-recognition software are dominating this market, making automatic shifts as soon as headlines containing words such as 'EFSF' and 'Merkel' hit.

But market participants say those programs are the province of the sharpest hedge funds and not much more, with the bulk of the moves coming from firms reacting to shifts in momentum and riding those moves as long as possible.

Momentum traders using computer models often follow the shifts, especially if levels that have served as resistance or support are surpassed. From there, performance chasing follows.

"If you go and look at the trades that react to that data down to the millisecond level you'll see an immediate spike in the futures ... and then you'll see buying across the equities in less than a second, across the S&P 500, major liquid equities," said Chris Bartlett, director at Nobilis Capital, a high frequency trading firm in New York that uses momentum strategies.

"The other part of the equation is the algorithmic and automated and high frequency trading that takes place, (those) who have momentum algos running that see a sudden spike in the buying after the news comes out."

Bartlett said this type of market was perfect for what he termed short-term alpha trades but was frustrating longer-term money managers seeking entry and exit points.

The short-term bets are macro in nature and involve bets on several markets. The 22-day correlation coefficient of the S&P 500 and the euro was at 0.94 on Friday, just shy of 1, a perfect lock-step relationship.

Many investors bet using plain-vanilla or leveraged ETFs. ETFs now account for about 20 percent of daily share volume, according to Credit Suisse (NYSEArca: CSMA - news) , up from about 15 percent at the beginning of 2011.

Some have also fingered ETFs for the increased market volatility, but traders attribute it more to the similar bets being made among sectors, stocks, and the overall market.

Don Bright, director and trader at Bright Trading in Chicago, said he is keeping his time horizon short. He is currently playing in the ProShares UltraShort MSCI Europe , the double-short Europe ETF, but he doesn't plan on holding it long.

"We put that trade on yesterday (Wednesday) because there's still a lot of uncertainty related to the euro zone," Bright said. "I'm short term on that trade and will probably scale out of two-thirds of it by Friday's close, depending on any kind of news events that come out by then. I don't want to be short going into the weekend."

Pat, Im thinking it is not that your hot streak seems to be over, maybe competitors are getting a bit more serious and experienced :clap:, and thats positive, we can get to learn more from each other.
Finally the market launches from its launching pad, so no looking behind for this week, my bet is 1270.

So long as I'm not getting worse

:)

I am grateful for and enjoying my recent run of beginner's luck.

For this coming week I am thinking we will test the resistance from the Mar/Jun lows.

1260 for the lucky rookie this week Pat.

Don...

No problem Pat, I ditched the S&P short when news of further quantitative easing reached out (the possibility of major mortgage backed securities repurchase by the FED) and I`m still in gold, but shortened the stop loss just to sleep well at the night.

For next month put 1265 for me.

Thanks man,
Lucian

I'm like a mixed up kid this week. I think it is about to break out of the sideway range from August but then what if it will just come off resistance and head towards 1100-1150 again. :rolleyes:

However it has tested 1220 three times now and broken out so got to go with the text book analysis and say it should really test 1280s next before coming off steam. Whether this happens this week or next I'm not sure but I'm going to go with this week it will kiss 1280 and come off the boil landing at by Friday...

Greek crisis no better off than last week. I smell a big sell off coming in eur and equities. Last week=hope, this week= nope.

Peter

I'm going to regret saying this next Saturday as I remain on nil points. Oh sh1t, me and my big mouth.............

Safety in numbers mon ami... (y)

Average was at 1265.

I don't think anyone has opted on a short have they?

To be honest I'm 50/50 this week. But hey why stop when you are onto a good thing... :party:

Greek crisis no better off than last week. I smell a big sell off coming in eur and equities. Last week=hope, this week= nope.

Peter

Hmmm Europe tanking is good for US though is it not? You know - one persons misfortune is anothers fortune and all that...

You are a right little Mr Salmon swimming against the raging river but I wish you good luck in getting your eggs laid. :cheesy:

I don't think anyone has opted on a short have they?

To be honest I'm 50/50 this week. But hey why stop when you are onto a good thing... :party:

If noone goes short then it is almost certain ?

:LOL: