webcam

osho67

Is there a facility to talk to someone or chat via a webcam?-on this boards?Would be nice

I know paltalk can do it... probably MSN messenger too... but not directly through the BB, unless Sharky knows different....

This is not my area so what is the bandwidth requirement to have reasonably clear pics of the person you are wanting to see and chat to at the other end. I could probably manage it on adsl but those on 56k?
Do you really want to see me in all my early morning glory?

Has anyone thought of using Skype for members chats its free calls, good quality and encrypted for security?

http://www.skype.com/

Attachments

• skype.gif
    skype.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 613
Thanks Rognvald,

I hadn't come across that new software before - it appears its only just been released. When I first saw it was from the creators of Kaaza I thought.. oh, no - spyware is the catch, but looking on the site there's no spyware or adware, so it does look good. Will be interesting to try it out - but unfortunately osho67 there's no easy way to integrate this into the T2W site. The only think I can think of is keeping an updated list of the users of this Skype software or the other technologies like MSN Messenger - which we do to an extent via a members profile, but we don't keep a single repository of this information to quickly see who you can chat with.

Sharky
Sype keeps a li9st of who your "friends" are and knows who is available to talk at any time eg T2W could register all its members as skype buddies if they wished and hold a central list and I think that then the individuals would registered with skype would then have access to a list
If you look at the Skype website you will see that they plan to include conference calls eventually along with the ability to call "normal" phones
This may become part of the subscription system eventually planned but meanwhile it is free of charge with no ads or spyware.
I think it may merit some detailed investigation - over to you! Its a perr to peer system with no central "cortex"

I think we should progress gradually. first we can just have chat facility. next add voice and third stage add webcam.

Did anyone get to try this? I will trying it early next week. After my dad upgrades to XP. (I think it needs MS2000 or XP).

If you did try it how did you get on?

Also I see that you can get a phone that connects to a USB port so you can take your calls that way.

Last edited:
read the small print on skype. It free at the mo because they are beta testing it. Gives the impression that they will be charging once everyone irons out the bugs for them.

Maybe they will offer it with advertising or with a small(?) subcription cost per year?

Ok, I have used this now and it works very well. It is very clear.

As for setting up apart installing the software there was nothing
to do. Apart from put on my head set and start talking. :)

Last edited: