Updata V Sharescope?

Yes but..

isn't it annoying how their website keeps referring to "the nation" as in sweeping it. "What nation?" I keep yelling at my PC. This used to be one of the annoying things about the web about 10 years ago - I thought the lesson (duh - there is more than 1 nation) had been learned by now.

MAB

Update

Hi
Judging from the comments on this forum I must be the exception that proves the rule.

I have been using TA for 2 years without any interference with other programs, and this is on a machine that I develop software on and have installed several demos of development tools and geneaology packages in that time.

I have also found Technical Support to be prompt and curtious with their replies and fixed the one problem I had the same day (my laptop ran out of power half way through an update leaving a mess - I had thought it on mains) .

For what it's worth I used Metastock before Updata and moved away becuase it wasn't very intuitive to me. There are some features I miss :( but overall am much happier :cool: with updata.

Regards
Graham Wade

Marc100 said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Both informative and obviously knowledgable.

This thread has led me to conclude that I don't want Updata or Sharescope.
I personally don't like the basic look of Sharescope but might consider them for a data feed as alluded to by DaveJB . I want a more robust programme.

DaveJB, you mentioned Metastock which I'm now investigating. I like the look of it as it contains Options and Futures which I'm interested in.

Anyone know or rate the below link as a data feed, seems cheap?

http://www.finexprestel.com/piproducts.html

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Marc.

My initial experience with Updata had led me to conclude that I will not use it again even if it is offered for free for rest of my life.....!! But that dosen't mean some else may not like it or use it.....and if they are happy with that, then feel free...

For my money having used Indexia, Updata, Sharescope and Metastock, my best combination is Sharescope and Metastock......

Once you have bought Sharescope and Metastock, the monthly cost is cheaper than Updata which charges about 28 odd quid plus VAT per month...

If a software is good then you don't need to ring support on daily basis...!!

Neither

I used to subscribe to Updata for about £30 a month. However, when I wanted to "back up" my data files onto another computer, just in case I had problems with my main computer, they wanted another £30 per month. As so often is the case in this country, fleece the customer for all he is worth appeared to be the motivation.

Then Updata stopped the facility of exporting data to a spreadsheet, but never gave me a satisfactory reason.

I switched to CSI in Florida, who I think are the best EOD providers. Though not perfect, they have heard of customer service.

I think Updata's TA is, beneath the sophisticated veneer, quite a basic package of technical analysis tools. Very cleverly marketed. Maybe the real-time package is worth the money.

As for Sharescope, for EOD UK stocks, I would rather stick with CSI.

Pippppin said:
I used to subscribe to Updata for about £30 a month. However, when I wanted to "back up" my data files onto another computer, just in case I had problems with my main computer, they wanted another £30 per month. As so often is the case in this country, fleece the customer for all he is worth appeared to be the motivation.
I back up my whole Updata folder with data onto my server every week. I didn't have to ask anyone's permission. I think you have the wrong end of the stick. In any case I can redownload a whole new database any time I wish at no charge.

Pippppin said:
Then Updata stopped the facility of exporting data to a spreadsheet, but never gave me a satisfactory reason.
In my research into Ichimkou charts I have been exporting data to spreadsheets regularly !!

There are obviously (still) some ongoing legacy issues here, as anyone who’s been around for the last four years will be uncomfortably aware of. To cut to the chase, time was when baiting Updata on the popular BBs became a regular pastime and pre-occupation for the disgruntled few. Those times are past and I’m politely suggesting to anyone who wishes to continue in this vein that their “pre-occupation” with these issues is well and truly past its sell by date.

If you make statements that are at best misleading and/or factually incorrect, then people will tend to think that you’re pursuing an agenda of your own, or that you’re simply ignorant.

As Gruntnoway says, you can backup your data anywhere you like and this has always been the case. You can even run the software on more than one machine, although you cannot do this concurrently unless you have a second license. There is no charge and there never was an additional fee for backing up your data.

Again, as Gruntnoway says, you’re able to export the data from your database in Excel format (among others) for individual instruments, or sectors or markets, as you wish. For clarification, and the avoidance of doubt, there is no charge for this feature and there never has been.

It’s true, as you say, that Updata “stopped the facility of exporting data to a spreadsheet”, but they did this temporarily (for about three months or so, if I remember correctly) and at the request of their data supplier. So far as I recall this issue had a fairly thorough “airing” on Updata’s BB at the time – this was maybe eighteen months ago?

I’m not quite sure what point you’re making when you say, “I think Updata's TA is, beneath the sophisticated veneer, quite a basic package of technical analysis tools. Very cleverly marketed.” There are some here who’d say that Updata aren’t particularly good at Marketing, the evidence for this is that they’ve only just got around to getting Technical Analyst reviewed in the November 2004 issue of Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities magazine. It’s fair to say that TA received an excellent review and you can read this for yourself because I’ve taken the trouble of attaching a copy of it to this post.

I can’t speak for the other Updata users who use this board, but I really can’t remember when I last spoke to support, and this is simply because I have no reason to do so. Upgrades, or version/level releases roll out at regular three monthly intervals or thereabouts and these download and install without any difficulties whatsoever.

You can trial Technical Analyst for free for three weeks, and I’m fairly sure that you’ll be able to do the same with Sharescope and Metastock: and I’d suggest that’s precisely what you should do if you want to make an informed and considered decision about which of these software package suits you best and which you’ll be most comfortable with for the future.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Attachments

• TAS&C_TECHNICAL_ANALYST .pdf
    512.8 KB · Views: 1,163
Yes there seems to be a 1 or 2 man crusade - talk about a thin veneer. Funny I never blame the tools when I can't get the market right.

The sophistication is I know beyond some people but that is no reason to avoid Updata. If you want bar charts and moving averages you have it. If you want optimisation of a technique you have it. I can't really think of anything it doesn't do.

Grow up guys or girls and take your bitterness elsewhere. In the meantime I am doing extremely well

Devils advocate

I must admit I was playing devils advocate (a little).

I think TA is a very good piece of software for using the major technical analysis tools. However, Updata have been sending me emails for a number of years since I was a customer. Not once did they inform me that they have reinstated the "export to spreadsheet" capacity.

Only the very best companies in any field take the time and trouble to treat each customer as an individual. So often, once you have become a customer, you are no more than a number on their database. That is how I felt when I left Updata. Which explains why I am not currently familiar with what they are offering.

Updata has a policy that unless you subscribe to their service which includes data, support and software, you exist in their database and you exist a a customer...

If you decide to ditch one aspect - say data then you don't exist as their customer, regardless of the fact that you may have their version say 1.6 or 1.8....

Even microsoft or say autocad will treat you as a customer regardless of the fact that you are using old version of their software....The support will always be there....At some stage a cut off data is provided so the customers know...Nothing like that from Updata, you stop subscribing, you don't exist on their database. Simple as that..!!

This is my understanding, unless someone can say otherwise..!!

As I understand it, you don't purchase the software, support and data separately. You subsrcibe on a monthly or annual basis and get all of these or you don't subscribe and get none of them. Certainly I pay monthly and all are included,

I've not seen a great deal for a while, which suggests quite strongly that Mayfly has a reasonable handle on the way things are now - a number of us were unimpressed with one aspect of the Updata setup or another maybe 2 years back, but the ensuing silence does suggest that whatever they weren't getting right back then is indeed a thing of the past... there'd be a solid record of 2 years worth of complaints otherwise <g>

I suspect it's just that Pippppin is referring to somewhat long ago experience here, which I'd suggest isn't evidence of a campaign to undermine, it's just that we tend to remember (elephant like, at times) things that made us grumble and we tend to go on about them a bit past their sell by date. (I have it on good authority that 'the germans bombed our chip shop' for example, which I suspect is no longer a newsflash).

Like a lot of other programs out there, Updata TA has fans and it has those who aren't as keen - some of whom (sadly) were put off more by what occurred around Indexia/UTA changeover time, this should not put people off trying UTA now if they are looking for a good TA program... there are quite a lot of TA programs/datafeeds on the go and I for one like esignal these days, but the sensible user will test drive a good few and pick one they like using having had a week or two to give it a run.

Dave

Hi all

Does anybody have a DDE fix for Updata Software.

Another posting under "Old Updata Customers"

Please Help

Sandra

Is there any good reason why you can't call the Updata Helpdesk about the "problems" you're experiencing while configuring their DDE Server, Sandra? :)

Cheers

Mayfly

What about the tipstracker sevice is that money worth spending on?

Regards

Hi bbjit,

I can’t really answer your question, and that’s because I really think it’s only something that you can decide for yourself.

Although it may help you to know that Updata are now offering a free two week trial of their Tipstracker service to anyone who’s interested in using it, which means that you’ll be able to come to an informed decision about whether or not it’s suitable for you.

If you call sales at Updata on 020 8874 4747 I’m sure that they’ll be happy to set it up for you.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

In contrast to the others I have been using Updata TA now for 3 years and am very happy with it. Yes it costs more than some other solutions but does what I need. I've had no problems with it interfering with other programs and the only time I needed to contact technical support they were helpful and sorted the problem out within 1/2 hour.

If you've been using Updata and are happy with it why worry what other people think of it. As you surmised most people who belittle Updata on this site haven't used it recently and are basing their opinions on experiences of a couple of years ago.

I am currently subscribed to this service and won't be renewing. It basically gives David Linton's view of the tips that appear in the papers and certain financial journals. There is the occasional market overview and once this year all FTSE100 shares were rated and targets given. I found that several times I have been interested in a share look at the site to see what they think of it and it isn't mentioned because no one has tipped it.

Graham Wade said:
I am currently subscribed to this service and won't be renewing. It basically gives David Linton's view of the tips that appear in the papers and certain financial journals. There is the occasional market overview and once this year all FTSE100 shares were rated and targets given. I found that several times I have been interested in a share look at the site to see what they think of it and it isn't mentioned because no one has tipped it.

Graham I subscribed a few weeks ago and it says I can request a comment on any share so you can do that too. What I like is checking and comparing things like the targets on my TA programme. Its teaching a lot. having moved from point / figure, i am back looking at them again. fascinating.