Sharescope

ShareScopeGM said:
....................... why do you need it on two computers?.......................

ShareScopeGM

ShareScope GM

Firstly, praise where it is due. I use ShareScope Gold. I think it is excellent and I agree that your support team is second to none - always very helpful and prompt in response. In addition, your programme of continuous improvement is excellent and the product gets better and better.

However, there must be many like myself who have a stand-alone workstation and a lap-top for use when they are away from it - on holiday for example. It is irritating to be expected to pay for an additional licence to cover such occasional use and it's a pity you can't find some way of recognising that.

That's my only beef :) Keep up the good work

Regards

jon

barjon said:
ShareScope GM

Firstly, praise where it is due. I use ShareScope Gold. I think it is excellent and I agree that your support team is second to none - always very helpful and prompt in response. In addition, your programme of continuous improvement is excellent and the product gets better and better.

However, there must be many like myself who have a stand-alone workstation and a lap-top for use when they are away from it - on holiday for example. It is irritating to be expected to pay for an additional licence to cover such occasional use and it's a pity you can't find some way of recognising that.

That's my only beef :) Keep up the good work

Regards

jon
Yes I take my laptop along on all my travels, and as I use only laptop now it is not a big issue for me....But many I know use PC and laptop....for those it may be good if there was a facility to transfer the License between two computers....

regards

Thanks for your opinions and comments which now give a much more balanced view.

Racer - US index closes are available from 22:30 - if you are not getting these please call or email Support and they will be able to sort it out for you.

Barjon - good point - I meant to mention yesterday that for people with laptops or desktops at work they can store the whole of ShareScope, data and all, on a (256Mb) USB memory key and run it from the key on any computer - one copy - one licence. Quite a few people do this where they want ShareScope to be portable.

GruntnoWay - hmnnn - quite a lot of people like our P&F now....I agree our old P&F was not the greatest - but we have done a comprehensive job and the new P&F has some fans. Of course, if what you have does what you need then great but dont dismiss us based on a screen-grab.

Hi ShareScopeGM,
How do i store the whole of ShareScope program on a USB memory key ?
I have tried to copy the C:\ Program files\ ShareScope.exe to my key.
It needs more files for it to work!

ShareScopeGM said:
Of course, if what you have does what you need then great but dont dismiss us based on a screen-grab.

Look mate, if the chart image is not up to scratch, I don't need to look further, but I will take the time to have another look. Who advises you on your PnF charts?

.......if the chart adds up, and is calculating exactly as it should be then use it........otherwise forget it.......

charting does not require a 'personality' as a reson to use it............

Judging books by their covers is a dangerous business - but I guess that we all do it all the time!

P&F - our P&F was derived from a number of books on the subject (Weber & Zeig was one of them) - then beta testing and feedback from our membership.

Camelot - you need to copy the whole ShareScope folder - call Support and they'll walk you through it :)

Barjon - good point - I meant to mention yesterday that for people with laptops or desktops at work they can store the whole of ShareScope, data and all, on a (256Mb) USB memory key and run it from the key on any computer - one copy - one licence. Quite a few people do this where they want ShareScope to be portable.

I cant.

I dont have usb ports on my desktop

ShareScopeGM said:
Judging books by their covers is a dangerous business - but I guess that we all do it all the time!

P&F - our P&F was derived from a number of books on the subject (Weber & Zeig was one of them) - then beta testing and feedback from our membership.

Camelot - you need to copy the whole ShareScope folder - call Support and they'll walk you through it :)

I am not sure I understand your first sentence.

Weber and Zieg is a good book. Not that comprehensive but good all the same.

I’ve always thought that http://www.investorease.com/home.php offered much better value than Sharescope.

It’s about a third of the price at £9.75 per month, plus Vat and it seems to me to do much the same sort of thing as Sharescope Plus: although the charting is probably weaker – but, then I’m told that that was never really a reason to subscribe to Sharescope in the first place.

But, perhaps I’m out of date? :)

Cheers

Mayfly

sharescopgm - couldnt it be done so we can do an update at say 17.00 on the understanding that some of the data may not be accurate, then u finish sorting the data and another update wen its ready. it is a pain having to wait between 17.15-18.00 for update to be ready as this eats into the evening.

Mayfly said:
I’ve always thought that http://www.investorease.com/home.php offered much better value than Sharescope.

It’s about a third of the price at £9.75 per month, plus Vat and it seems to me to do much the same sort of thing as Sharescope Plus: although the charting is probably weaker – but, then I’m told that that was never really a reason to subscribe to Sharescope in the first place.

Cheers

Mayfly

I agree. I have used InvestorEase for my company results and news for 5 years. Excellent service and very cheap.

Racer - please please call Support - I cant really help you through these boards.

GruntonoWay - I meant that everytime I go to WH Smith I buy a book based on its cover (and perhaps a review or two)!

Investorease - Interesting, I didn't know that their data was intraday - no NASDAQ though. Good product - highly respected, been around for a long time - I disagree that it is much cheaper that ShareScope though - £11.45 a month - so £2.55 a month cheaper than ShareScope Gold. Still both incredible value for money if you ask me!

theblackmamba - our database structure means that we adjust for all spilts and conslidations and check the data before we distribute it - so sorry, not really possible to do a 5pm update....I will float the idea though because I like it and because we have done a lot of work on making the database more flexible recently. - so you never know!

Mayfly said:

Cheers

Mayfly
....hmm......Yes there is a saving of £2 and few pence....and if one really saves, it may accumulate to grand total of £25 or so per year......enough to pay for a round with you Southern boys gang.....!!....Not that I am going to worry about how much will it cost for a round with you boys....!!!!

Last edited:
I am still hoping to get a response to my predicament.

I may not have usb's available but the desktop is networked to my laptop

can I just copy the whole directory across ?

presumably I have to install ss on both machines.

Sorry Double Six

One licence per machine. So if you are networked with a copy on the desktop and the laptop that is two licences. No workaround for that one I am afraid.

Regards

GM

Milk them....

Interesting argument this one, but one which does rather typify the attitudes of most companies in this country to their customers (i.e. milk them)

In my experience US companies tend to be much more flexible and genuinely customer-orientated.

For example, I subscribe to Febo, who provide end of day US commodity data and charts for $125 per year. If you wish to run their software on more than one machine, they charge an extra $15. And that is not payable until the end of the year when subscription is due for renewal.

Most individual traders want/need to run their own setup on two machines. However, UK companies are either too greedy (most likely) or too inflexible to put their customers needs sufficiently high up the agenda

Hi Pippppin

Thanks for your comments - am horrified that we should/could be perceived as "milking" - sorry you feel that way. That said, we are not a charity, we have wages to pay and development to invest in - and I spend a lot of my time trying to keep prices down. To be honest, a lot of the price pressure comes direct from the exchanges, which in most cases are effectively monopolies - they tend to impose price increases with no alternative - for example, in July, NASDAQ started charging $1,500 a month extra to distribute any of its indices - a completely new charge out of the blue - no choice about it.

Anyway, at ShareScope we always endeavour to be fair. Customer care is extremeley high on our list - the only thing that is possibly taken more seriously is our data integrity - and that is because our customers demand it and we listen.

As I mentioned before on here (or maybe it was on our boards) - I am sympathetic to people running two machines so we are going to review the licence policy - not today, not this week, but soon, and I am taking on board all of the comments made. We will do our best to come up with something that works. But as I have said before - you have to draw a line somewhere - and inevitably someone will always be just the wrong side of where you draw the line!

Anyone got other good examples of how this is done satisfactorily elsewhere?