Updata Conference 29th Oct - Free tickets!

To be honest, there was nothing new, and I missed a good day on the markets. BP finally broke 400.

Best speaker was Gerald Ashley, also Simon Cawkwell was entertaining.

Updata doing the hard sell again, but anyone who has had experience of their "support" (ha !) will know better..

Glad I didn't have to pay for it anyway.

Well as 'X-ray specs' says I am one of the newbies who is checking out this site after attending the Updata/Barbican seminar yesterday.

After more than 10 years trading it was the first such seminar I've been to and overall I have to agree with 'Morris', there was nothing new. Are other seminars any better?

The real reason this seminar caught my eye was because Jack Schwager was one of the speakers, I'm a fan of his after reading his first 'Market wizards' back in '91. But whilst interesting, just reading his books would have been more productive in the long term.

So is it worth me going to any other seminars? Are the basic 'rules' of trading as old as the hills, and listening to other people tell you how they trade fairly irrelevent to a non-beginner who has found 'their own method'?

On the plus side I did get lots of post-it notes courtesy of GNI! :D

conference

What did people think about Bill Adlard and his wave stuff?? I thought I was convinced for about 5 minutes, but now....not so sure! We could have used a lot more in depth material from the fellow from ETrade I felt. The history of day trading was useful but it came at the expense of nitty gritty 'this is what we are doing now to make money'. Anyhow, am new to this site so look froward to chatting with some of you out there....

Polluxius

Attachments

• owen.bmp
    123.1 KB · Views: 179
Pollux

I agree it was all a bit lightweight.
I've seen Nick Sparkes talking at GNI and he was a little more insightful as he had a bit longer to elaborate.
He said he trades anything where he gets an edge and when he loses the edge he will move on and look for other opportunities.
His current list that he mentioned was the closing auction trading CFD's to try and pick up stock in smaller 350 co's where the price has moved by more than 5% in the closing auction.
Although this means holding overnight, chances are that the stock will not move by more than that amount and its a game of percentages.

He also mentioned he looks at the top 10 FTSE stocks and if any move suddenly (news related), the FTSE Futures market will not react as quickly as most people trading the FTSE Futures only trade the graph and not the news.
The example he quoted was an instant drop of 15p in BP respresenting about 15 points in the FTSE but the Futures did not move. He sold the Future thinking it would realign with the FTSE 100.(It didn't in this case but would normally)

Another of his plays was to watch the news monitors both UK and US and if say Intel reports profits warning, ARM in the UK will get hit but not for a very short while.

Another of his plays was the momentum play buying CFDs in fast movers and getting out after 1 to 3%.

I did ask him what his most consitent and profitable play was and he said support and resistance breakout.

Hope that gives you a few ideas to look at further but as was said, what works today may not work tomorrow.

Re about Bill Adlard and his wave stuff - my first thought was, if this guy is "nearly always right" (his phrase) then why on earth is he a bloomin' journalist ???

It's very easy to pick a few nice examples to prove a pattern IMHO.

As I said, the best speaker was Gerald Ashley IMHO.

The psychological aspect of trading is all important (not trading today as I feel in very low spirits, and I know that will have an adverse effect on my judgement/performance).

Mo

Morris

Sorry to hear you're feeling low but do you remember what Jeremy Du Plessis said about biorhythms.
He said he would not trade on days when he biorhythms were weak and to reinforce his point, highlighted that British Airways will not let their pilots fly when their biorhythms are very negative.
Check out yours at http://www.facade.com/biorhythm/ to see if today is a good day for you to trade.

The event was called Trade Secrets - although it was very good, I must have been asleep when the Secrets were revealed.

Thanks X-Ray Specs - nice link.

Does anyone know which of the rhythms are 'good' trading ones - ie, which of the following rhythms should be positive, and which ones negative, in an ideal world?

The rhythms are: emotional, physical, intellectual, mastery, passion, and wisdom.

Hi Skimbles
I have used bio's for years, and have found them of great use to me. Must rush this, duty calls. Basicly it's down to knowing your self then using the bio's to your advantage. For example a few years ago if all thee indicators where on the up and not crossing I would tend to be in the first three or have horendous crashes. (like I say know your character). So now in that situation I am very confident but am aware that when things go badly they go bad big style and very quickly. Sorry this is so rushed. So to sum up,
Be aware, and go for it, but don't push your luck.

Good luck
Greg