UK Politics

Yes see your point Tim.
However mine was/is a postal vote so it is too late for me.
A possible upgrade of the present system would be to have a fixed term of office e.g. 4 or 5 years.
It would discourage hung Parlts and give more continuity imho.
You're having a laugh Pat? Part of the shenanigans we've had for the last 3 years was due to the Fixed Term Parliament Act! (A brilliant piece of political dimwitery devised by Cameron & Clegg – both of whom are over the hills and far away)

Yes see your point Tim.
However mine was/is a postal vote so it is too late for me.
A possible upgrade of the present system would be to have a fixed term of office e.g. 4 or 5 years.
It would discourage hung Parlts and give more continuity imho.

I think some countries give the winning party in seat numbers (even if by 1 seat) an automatic majority of seats so as to avoid the hung "parliament" issue.

Maybe someone can remember an example of where this happens.

What is it about politicians that just makes it impossible for them to admit that they are wrong? Amber Rudd is a typical example: there arises a matter which is basically indefensible, so they stall, prevaricate, take semantics and nuance to a higher level but in the end, always in the end, they end up telling a porky and then they have to go. They always go because of the porkies – never ever because they were enforcing unpopular/popular/bad/good policies!

Why don't they, straightaway e.g. in Amber Rudd's case, just put their hands up & say they/the government got it wrong, admit the truth (these days if you tell porkies, your untrustworthy self-righteous civil service department will soon fix it for you through the press) and will now put it right? But who are we to scoff? – Isn't the hardest thing for us always to give up a bad trade and we always vow to get it right next time and find it so difficult to admit truthfully to ourselves that we just ballsed it up?

On a wider governmental political note this latest episode is just a typical example of the amateurish and incompetent shenanigans of a government which is basically leaderless and doesn't know where it's going – its only wish is to stay in power. Its only redeeming feature is that it's a darn sight better than the likely alternative. Theresa May is just a Cameron retread – basically bereft of good ideas, influenced by the latest political flavour of the month, incapable of showing proper leadership and only interested in being Head Girl.

When oh! when for goodness sake will someone in this now lookalike Blairite Conservative party have the bottle to dump May and get someone in who is capable of giving some good strong decisive leadership? I'm not holding my breath!

As for Diane Abbott giving some worthwhile commentary or alternative solutions – you've got to be joking!
wow well said my friend.

What an opportunity for the Liberals but they couldn't win an egg & spoon race they are so hopeless.

What an opportunity for the Liberals but they couldn't win an egg & spoon race they are so hopeless.

Yes. Its hard to see "split the difference" as a successful strategy. Until they find a raison d'etre as a political party they will always remain in 3rd place. They have always been the "none of the above" voting option.

This is a first-class exposition of where we are with today's politics and how to understand why it is that way. You'll need to pay attention for the best part of an hour but it's worth it. It's at least as good as any postgraduate seminar you're likely to get at a decent university.

So it's goodbye to Swinson and Corbyn.
At last a clear majority.
Brexit by the end of January.

Ths silent majority have spoken - again!

Let's hope Boris does something about the BBC and gets rid of the oppressive licence fee.

Ths silent majority have spoken - again!

Let's hope Boris does something about the BBC and gets rid of the oppressive licence fee.
They need artistic talent at the top of the BBC, not the money greedy fatcats and their overpaid friends.

Agree with this blogger.

I think we should have a Life Long Quota Allowance based system for the NHS. If you abuse your body by smoking drinkign and excessive bad eating then there should be a limit on how much help you get. After certain level, one should be made to pay or simply waste away.

Agree with this blogger.

View attachment 271795

I think we should have a Life Long Quota Allowance based system for the NHS. If you abuse your body by smoking drinkign and excessive bad eating then there should be a limit on how much help you get. After certain level, one should be made to pay or simply waste away.

Lot of common sense here. The NHS has the capability to bankrupt public spending unless some politically unpopular and socially disruptive decisions are taken.

Even preparations for these decisions, such as the coordination of healthcare and social care for the elderly, will be a massive and long-term project which alternating governments elected on the traditional 5 years in, 5 years out basis, cannot face.

Agree with this blogger.

View attachment 271795

What a good idea! If you play rugby, it’ll be your fault if you break your arm so don’t call us. Accident while driving? But you do too many miles so piss off. Use KNIVES in the kitchen-well what do you expect, take your bleeding finger elsewhere or it’s £50 a stitch. Broke your leg skiing? How dare you indulge in such dodgy things. Your lifestyle is too high risk so that’ll be £10,000 please.

I can definitely see patients with "voluntary" conditions or complications getting a less than first-class NHS experience. I believe they are already delayed or fobbed off from some procedures on clinical grounds even though these can safely be sourced immediately from the private sector.

But government doesn't work by making hard and fast decisions, for which failure rate and accountability is easily measured. They slice and divide the potential for opposition and link unassailable rights with unpopular obligations.

e.g.
A growing factor in NHS politics will be the impact on health care in the countries from where the NHS draws its clinical staff. The more doctors we draw from developing countries, the fewer doctors they have left there. Eventually, someone is going to start tallying up excess mortality in those countries and linking it to NHS successes and its going to be very uncomfortable for us. There's a potential linkage here between ensuring medical care for our own citizens, safeguarding developing countries' populations, while not rewarding unhealthy lifestyle choices. I can see the day when "selected" NHS patients by the plane-load are being jumbo-jetted to India where they can be dealt with by clinical staff who remain in their home countries.

Could save us a lot of money too. And maybe we'll see an NHS hospital setting up an overseas branch, where they will treat UK NHS patients flown in but also offer some services to the local middle classes for private sector fees.

Far-fetched? Not really. Literally hundreds of western universities have already established overseas campuses years ago.

What a good idea! If you play rugby, it’ll be your fault if you break your arm so don’t call us. Accident while driving? But you do too many miles so piss off. Use KNIVES in the kitchen-well what do you expect, take your bleeding finger elsewhere or it’s £50 a stitch. Broke your leg skiing? How dare you indulge in such dodgy things. Your lifestyle is too high risk so that’ll be £10,000 please.

If you've just landed from a foreign country, feeling ill, got a disease, cancer or even gunshot wounds from 3 weeks ago, then you can be treated for 'free'.

Well, if you are from the European Economic Area (EU plus a couple) then that’s true. Otherwise you will be called upon to pay. ‘Course we get treated free in the EU, but that”s maybe not going to last for long:)

If all pensions were equal then the oldies could afford to pay towards their health and have the grandchildren over for a meal too.

If all pensions were equal then the oldies could afford to pay towards their health and have the grandchildren over for a meal too.

Then there'd be no incentive to invest or save or plan financially or seek promotion for a better salary or try for a better job or get better qualifications. At least we'd all be equally poor.

Most pensioners are boomers aren't they, lashings of golden handshake pensions, holidays galore, perma tans, new car every 3 years and all the toys they need? Last of the generous pensions when they die out.

Most pensioners are boomers aren't they, lashings of golden handshake pensions, holidays galore, perma tans, new car every 3 years and all the toys they need? Last of the generous pensions when they die out.

Seems silly to me that people getting huge pensions are generally those that are rich enough already. While the vast majority of pensioners have to suffer the cold, damp one room housing in grotty areas. Shame on the politicians for not doing enough about it.