UK Politics

mike.

Just felt it's in need of it's own thread, So not to clutter up the Brexit thread with non-brexit-related political gubbins...

Just to kick off with the resignation of Amber Rudd :-0..not really that much of a shock i suppose, I thought she might of hung on another week until the next big story overshadowed the windrush scandal.

Secondly, I suppose its classed as political now, "the Skripal case", All seems to have gone a bit quiet...Until---

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...salisbury-attack-vladimir-uglev-a8326076.html

Amber Rudd had nowhere left to go, she either wan't in charge of what her department was doing or knew but wanted to conceal it or stupidly thought it didn't matter either way. She did show a burst of determination to deal with the crises affecting members of the Windrush generation but it was too little too late.

She actually had no need to conceal there were deportation targets as these have long been in place under both Conservative and Labour Home Secretaries for years so she had nothing to gain from concealing them. The more likely scenario is that she was just incompetent.

No clear word from Dianne Abbott on what Labour's policy is on the 1 million estimated illegal immigrants.

Amber Rudd had nowhere left to go, she either wan't in charge of what her department was doing or knew but wanted to conceal it or stupidly thought it didn't matter either way. She did show a burst of determination to deal with the crises affecting members of the Windrush generation but it was too little too late.

She actually had no need to conceal there were deportation targets as these have long been in place under both Conservative and Labour Home Secretaries for years so she had nothing to gain from concealing them. The more likely scenario is that she was just incompetent.

No clear word from Dianne Abbott on what Labour's policy is on the 1 million estimated illegal immigrants.

What is it about politicians that just makes it impossible for them to admit that they are wrong? Amber Rudd is a typical example: there arises a matter which is basically indefensible, so they stall, prevaricate, take semantics and nuance to a higher level but in the end, always in the end, they end up telling a porky and then they have to go. They always go because of the porkies – never ever because they were enforcing unpopular/popular/bad/good policies!

Why don't they, straightaway e.g. in Amber Rudd's case, just put their hands up & say they/the government got it wrong, admit the truth (these days if you tell porkies, your untrustworthy self-righteous civil service department will soon fix it for you through the press) and will now put it right? But who are we to scoff? – Isn't the hardest thing for us always to give up a bad trade and we always vow to get it right next time and find it so difficult to admit truthfully to ourselves that we just ballsed it up?

On a wider governmental political note this latest episode is just a typical example of the amateurish and incompetent shenanigans of a government which is basically leaderless and doesn't know where it's going – its only wish is to stay in power. Its only redeeming feature is that it's a darn sight better than the likely alternative. Theresa May is just a Cameron retread – basically bereft of good ideas, influenced by the latest political flavour of the month, incapable of showing proper leadership and only interested in being Head Girl.

When oh! when for goodness sake will someone in this now lookalike Blairite Conservative party have the bottle to dump May and get someone in who is capable of giving some good strong decisive leadership? I'm not holding my breath!

As for Diane Abbott giving some worthwhile commentary or alternative solutions – you've got to be joking!

Last edited:
May got the job because nobody else from her party wanted it. Absence of a strong opposition party meant the conservatives could let her in and plan for a "proper" leader after her term's over.

May got the job because nobody else from her party wanted it. Absence of a strong opposition party meant the conservatives could let her in and plan for a "proper" leader after her term's over.

Reference May's accession to the leadership: after the extraordinary goings-on from Gove (as Sir Humphrey used to say: you've got to get behind someone before you can stab them in the back) the only remaining credible alternative was Andrea Ledsom. Rather prophetically she actually said that because Lady Theresa hadn't had a family of her own that she didn't really understand society – and of course, confronting reality is a heinous crime in politics and she paid the price. Seems it's turned out to be rather true. I wonder how Ledsom would have shaped up to the job? At least she was a Brexiteer unlike May who isn't and even to this day can't clearly state where she stands.

What is it about politicians that just makes it impossible for them to admit that they are wrong? Amber Rudd is a typical example: there arises a matter which is basically indefensible, so they stall, prevaricate, take semantics and nuance to a higher level but in the end, always in the end, they end up telling a porky and then they have to go............

I wonder if for politicians, the resignation letter is like the trader's stop-loss? So many traders in a hole can't pull the trigger either........

I wonder if for politicians, the resignation letter is like the trader's stop-loss? So many traders in a hole can't pull the trigger either........

I think you make a good point. One of the hardest things I've had to learn in trading is to quit a trade when it's obviously failed or is losing. I've always found it hard to do (and I still have to fight it to stop dropping back into old, bad ways) even when subconsciously/consciously knowing that the trade was going nowhere. And yet, when it finally hit that stoploss and I was taken out automatically, the feeling of relief and the ability to move on, was so very welcome. And in the subsequent debrief of the trade I just used to wonder why & how I let it get that far off track. A very hard but worthwhile lesson to learn. Maybe we should have more politicians who have been successful traders?

PS – come to think of it, doesn't Nigel Farage ring a bell here?

What is it about politicians that just makes it impossible for them to admit that they are wrong? Amber Rudd is a typical example: there arises a matter which is basically indefensible, so they stall, prevaricate, take semantics and nuance to a higher level but in the end, always in the end, they end up telling a porky and then they have to go. They always go because of the porkies – never ever because they were enforcing unpopular/popular/bad/good policies!

Why don't they, straightaway e.g. in Amber Rudd's case, just put their hands up & say they/the government got it wrong,
!

There has to be a consequence if you admit your wrong these days, Apologies are no longer suffice unfortunately, If your department messed up then they want your head on a silver plate, It appears irrelevant how good you were at the job. The only real solution is to tell the odd porky and hope the hyenas spy another victim.

I've heard it said that a lot of leaders, it doesn't have to be in politics, do not promote anyone unless that person has written a resignation letter first.

We have serious problems, here, in Spain, involving the integrity of many politicians and they will not resign until the latest possible moment.

The latest to go, Cifuentes, refused to resign over the scandal involving a false Masters degree. This has brought a prominent university into severe disrepute and a lot of of politicians are being harried by the press about their degrees.

However, the media kept at her and dicovered that she had once been caught with 40 Eurosworth of skin cream in her bag by the security of a a supermarket That did the trick--the party bosses would not stand for that! Thank Heaven that Spain has no Brexit problem to deal with!

How pathetic is Abbott:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/diane-abbott-clashes-piers-morgan-12453198

Sajid Javid will be as useless at tackling immigration as any other Tory, we have no hope of getting a grip of it until a big broom sweeps most of the house of commons into the street and they are replaced with people that will tackle immigration in a sensible and measured way.

There's no point listening to the current crop, all they do is lie and spin, it's worse than ever and they think the 'people' don't see through it, sheesh.

Think maybe we'll see a commission soon into how to break up the Home Office into 2 separate departments and split off a third of its work to other agencies.

Now we have Javid demanding that Corbyn apologise for Labour racism against him and he didn’t, when will Labour sort their racism issues?

Both parties have lost control of so many aspects of society and it is ordinary people that lose out when the clueless idiots start using the law (or changing the law) in an attempt to get a grip of it, it is of their own making.

UK Poiltics

Scandal watch.

How many scandals do we currently have on the go:

Breast cancer screening
Windrush
Grenfell
Rape gangs
NHS
Carillon
Political racism
Knife crime & acid attacks
The EU
Military rundown
Skripal & Syria
Julian Assange
Social media clampdown

Feel free to add to the list...

According to the guardian, Sergei is still in hospital, I would imagine Julia is in a safe house somewhere. MI6 say they haven’t identified any suspects as yet...

Hasn’t a D notice been issued? When was the Guardian report dated?

Scandal watch.

How many scandals do we currently have on the go:

Breast cancer screening
Windrush
Grenfell
Rape gangs
NHS
Carillon
Political racism
Knife crime & acid attacks
The EU
Military rundown