UK Politics

If I was Trump or UK PM, I would implement a form of onion defence for the Mexican border or the NI border after Brexit, we'd be as safe as houses and the landscape would probably look something similar to this.

An interesting thought about Brexit and the likely " no confidence " vote is the 1931 UK political solution.
There was a similar situation where the Govt, could not form a workable majority in Parlt. and neither could the opposition leader.
The answer was to choose the only person in Parlt. who could form a coalition Govt. The fatherly figure of Ken Clarke springs to mind in the current situation.
It could soon be goodbye Boris.

An interesting thought about Brexit and the likely " no confidence " vote is the 1931 UK political solution.
There was a similar situation where the Govt, could not form a workable majority in Parlt. and neither could the opposition leader.
The answer was to choose the only person in Parlt. who could form a coalition Govt. The fatherly figure of Ken Clarke springs to mind in the current situation.
It could soon be goodbye Boris.

Already answered this point in the Brexit thread.

Johnson will probably call an election and with the support of the Brexit Party to command a commons majority, we will get Brexit done.

It's not just young viewers the BBC needs to be wasting tax payers money on, its EVERYONE, I feel smug now that I'm not paying for their sh1te anymore [emoji23]

I might join you soon SC. :unsure: (y)

I think you are on to something here. Listen to radio and read internet more than anything else. TV is sooo yesterday. :whistle:

I might join you soon SC. :unsure: (y)

I think you are on to something here. Listen to radio and read internet more than anything else. TV is sooo yesterday. :whistle:

Thing is that modern 'smart' TV's are just an entertainment outlet. We went from just the state broadcaster and analogue terrestrial reception, to multiple channels with advertising whilst the state broadcaster kept to the old model. With the advent of the internet and smart TV's we don't even need an aerial or satellite dish, all services are digital and available with an internet connection.

Only old analogue TVs are non-capable of alternatives, get an internet capable TV and ditch the state broadcaster. In the comments on that news item, someone stated that Sky rebroadcast footy matches (if that's your thing) on their youtube channel 15 mins after the live broadcast, what is the point of watching it live on the BBC? All these services are going to go the same way. Prime also has live [paid for] broadcasts (streamed) as it happens, it's legal to watch Sky rebroadcasts but I think it may be illegal to watch Prime streaming without a TV license, that's how bad the license is!

I expect more desperate measures by the BBC/govt over the coming years as their income starts to dwindle, I wouldn't put it past the govt to introduce another sort of TV tax to make up for it.

I guess one would need broadband internet to watch it. My standard net for U tube is painfully slow.

I guess one would need broadband internet to watch it. My standard net for U tube is painfully slow.

Yes you will need broadband, dial-up speeds will be painful or non-workable, alternatively mobile networks at 3G minimum. For a hassle free switch then broadband is a minimum requirement, if you can put up with some hassle then service providers such as Netflix have optional download for much of their content, but not everything is included.

August is a quiet time for British politicians. They are on holiday. Probably guests of some bozo with a Carribean island.

The story of Assange is likened to the time surrounding the invention of the printing press in 1439 which changed the structure of society, the state, elites and the church (deep state then) lost control of their narrative, that happened to be in Latin as a result.

BBC plans to use license fee payers money to launch its own spying machine to enable UKgov direct access to voice data.

That's what my cynical headline would say. I have vowed never to have one of these data gathering devices in the house.

BBC News - BBC to launch digital voice assistant next year

BBC plans to use license fee payers money to launch its own spying machine to enable UKgov direct access to voice data.

That's what my cynical headline would say. I have vowed never to have one of these data gathering devices in the house.

BBC News - BBC to launch digital voice assistant next year
It's not spying the report says, so WTF is it then? The BBC defending spying on people by tech firms, just as they announce the same kind of 'spying' service.

Be afraid people, be very afraid.

BBC News - Tech firms must give up their awkward secret: Humans

Here's another report along the same lines, they are all in damage limitation mode, pretending to now be transparent about their spying activities, hands up if you believe them!

BBC News - Tech Tent: How to stop shoes following you across web

UK politics are going to get rough soon. Boris is determined to stop fluffing around and get out of the EU on Oct 31st. But will he still be PM ? And will there be a Parliament ?It is a terrible advert for Parliamentary Democracy. There was a time when the MPs cared more about the future of Britain rather than their own personal interests.

I've decided to cancel my BBC licence too. Looking into it now.

Don't watch much TV anyhow. More radio 4 and other news channels.

Thanks for the info and kicking it off. :) (y)

Now Boris is in trouble. The Scots Court has ruled that he had no right to advise The Queen to prorogue Parlt.
The Supreme Court can't rule on this judgement until next Tuesday. So are the rebels going to start doing what they will or what ?