UK Politics

Atilla

Legendary member
18,565 2,575
Balance is lost in this case imo. Law must be applied equally to all citizens.

Outrage is pouring from grief stricken hearts and response is pitifully woeful.

Injustice in one area of society will lead to disproportionate disequilibrium in an other tipping the scales of sound reason and rational. I think we are witnessing the outcomes.

Signalcalc

2,529 488
Signal

It’s an interesting conundrum as government seeks to find the right balance between citizens’ freedom and citizens’ protection. Always difficult, particularly as circumstances are ever changing and often government struggles to get it right. Eg: An explosion of hate against a section of our community can, quite reasonably, lead to a curtailment of free speech to protect citizens. Similarly, the recent explosion of knife crime can, quite reasonably, lead to a curtailment of peoples’ freedom via stop and search for the protection of citizens. These actions might be of a totalitarian (with a small “t”) type but do not have totalitarian objectives.

A totalitarian regime takes totalitarian actions in order to maintain itself and it’s cohorts in power. A democratic regime takes sometimes similar (but rarely as extreme) actions in order to protect its citizens. I think there is a fundamental difference in objective.
Complex subject indeed.

Signalcalc

2,529 488
Balance is lost in this case imo. Law must be applied equally to all citizens.

Outrage is pouring from grief stricken hearts and response is pitifully woeful.

Injustice in one area of society will lead to disproportionate disequilibrium in an other tipping the scales of sound reason and rational. I think we are witnessing the outcomes.
Crunch time, markets suffering.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,253 1,275
What a bl**dy shambles if Mrs Useless agrees to pay the Brussel's clots 1 Billion per MONTH.
Might have to put on holdher other waste of money projects like nuclear submarines. aircraft carriers. High Speed trains etc.
Not to mention MPs pay rises !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DRAIN THE WESTMINSTER SWAMP.

Last edited:

Signalcalc

2,529 488
"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Joseph Stalin

Signalcalc

2,529 488
Bit of a stretch to conflate employees personal bonuses with the Grenfell disaster. I don’t disagree that some people should be held to account and lose their bonus (and possibly freedom), but this does not apply to the majority of council workers.

Grenfell council spends more than £90k on bosses' bonuses https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47540281