UK Politics

Is Kemi Badenoch the Conservatives' Jeremy Corbyn?
Hi Tom,
Possibly, but I don't think so. To be honest, I know little about her other than her anti-woke credentials - which is why I warm to her. She's the opposite of Penny Mordaunt who appears only to be interested in Penny Mordaunt. As far as I'm aware, Kemi's not particularly far right in the way that Corbyn was far left and she did well in the poll that I posted (for what it's worth) because she's more in touch with - and her views better reflect - what the population at large care about and want. Could all be a front of course, and I'd be surprised if she ends up in the final two.

Liz Truss is a disaster and should face criminal prosecution for encouraging people to go to Ukraine to commit suicide. Rishi would be a disaster as he's largely responsible for the mess we're in - so I don't see him getting us out of it. Besides which, I suspect he actively wants to scupper the economy so he can then usher in CBDCs which he has a vested interest in doing. I don't know much about Tugendhat, but I suspect c_v's assessment that he's an ineffectual poster boy is probably about right. All pretty depressing really. Shame Neil Oliver isn't in the running as he's a decent, honest and fair man with principles - qualities rarely found in political leaders these days.
Tim.

Hmmm.

I suspect whoever takes over in No.10 right now will have their hands tied by international circumstances and the paralysing fear of damaging the NHS. Neither the defeat-inflation-now approach nor the cut-taxes-now approach will be feasible, and the winner will be a lame duck waddling towards a General election already lost.

I wonder if the best approach right now is to disappear into the shadows and wait for the last body to hit the floor. Why did these senior Conservatives not stand? -
Michael Gove, Dominic Raab, Theresa May, Angela Leadsom etc.

But my point stands.

It's the MP's votes that would have to be gained in order that she finishes in the top 2. Not a realistic possibility therefore it doesn't matter what conservative members think at this stage. Unless of course, their views are so strong that they may be able to influence the MP's votes.

Bring on a General Election. The worst PM in my lifetime has gone (almost); next we have to get rid of the most corrupt government since WW2. I'd, happily settle for an alliance of Labour, LibDem and Greens.

Bring on a General Election. The worst PM in my lifetime has gone (almost); next we have to get rid of the most corrupt government since WW2. I'd, happily settle for an alliance of Labour, LibDem and Greens.
Your comments are utterly delusional if you actually think that this government and leader are worse than the one that fabricated evidence to justify an illegal war that killed over 100K people.

Your comments are utterly delusional if you actually think that this government and leader are worse than the one that fabricated evidence to justify an illegal war that killed over 100K people.
Questions of legality are complicated by the background question, "Who makes the law?"

So, leaving aside the legality question, was the Iraq War morally justified?

I'm not ignoring Blair, and the Iraq war. Until he made this grave error of judgement, he did a fairly good job.

I'm not ignoring Blair, and the Iraq war. Until he made this grave error of judgement, he did a fairly good job.

It started going downhill for him when he deviated away from Thatchers economic policies.

Even in wartime, he could have taken a lesson from Thatcher. Argies invade Falklands so she orders a kick ass squad to go sort it out. Job done....result !

Last edited:
Last night, one of the few honest Tories, Tobias Elwood, had the whip withdrawn for abstaining from the vote of confidence in the government. I don't understand why the same punishment wasn't given to Chris Pincher for his sexual assaults.

"Our democracy appears to be set up to give absolutely nobody what they want".
Spot on assessment from comedian Andrew Lawrence in this satirical round up of the leadership contest. Enjoy . . .

I think its a true observation, that our system leads to the PM being the least worst option.

Although I have absolute faith in the representative / Parliamentary democratic system, its a system which has evolved so as very much to exclude both minority and populist factions from power. Which is quite a trick.

I don't have such a strong faith in the good sense of the average voter. I don't really want the UK electorate voting on laws and treaties and Acts of Parliament. These arrangements have historically produced bad outcomes. There is no added morality in a bad outcome simply because a lot of people voted for it.

I voted Tory last time and honestly the thought of any of them now makes my skin crawl. Most if not all we're complicit in keeping Boris there as long as he was. Make no mistake we are in a real mess in this country.

But what does Andrew Lawrence stand for?
I'll take this question Tom as I posted the video.
The short answer is everything on the flip side of what he's against and is critical of: i.e. openness, honesty, integrity and doing your level best to serve the best interests of those who elected you etc. Sadly, when it comes to most MPs (not all), that's a case of 'pigs can fly'.
Tim.

I voted Tory last time and honestly the thought of any of them now makes my skin crawl. Most if not all we're complicit in keeping Boris there as long as he was. Make no mistake we are in a real mess in this country.
It won't matter which candidate gets into No.10. So far they haven't given any clue that they have any clue what they will do. In any case, there will be very little they can do which will have a major impact - none of them is a Margaret Thatcher or a Ronald Reagan and none of them wants to be.

They will become time-servers. always moaning about how they would have liked to do this or liked to do that but they never could - inflation stopped them, the unions stopped them, the doctors stopped them, the price of oil stopped them. And that will be true because none of them is a Margaret Thatcher. We get the leaders we deserve.

Then they will lose the election anyway and I can only hope that Starmer gets into No.10 because he's extremely unlikely to do a great deal of damage before he's voted out at the end of his term.

I'll take this question Tom as I posted the video.
The short answer is everything on the flip side of what he's against and is critical of: i.e. openness, honesty, integrity and doing your level best to serve the best interests of those who elected you etc. Sadly, when it comes to most MPs (not all), that's a case of 'pigs can fly'.
Tim.
We all want those things. None of us want the things he is against. Has he been specific about anything? Ever?

(I don't watch him, his eyes give me the creeps)

Top flight journalism from Katie Hopkins -

But wait a minute, maybe she has a point.....................

She makes lots of good points, especially around California, Commies and trailer trash. Maybe less so about Rishy.

I still think Truss is dangerous, but hey, if you don't mind London getting nuked, she's your PM.