UK Politics

.........But it's the oldest retail trick in trade isn't it? – Do what Burberry have done: create a demand for something that's produced very cheaply and charge the earth for it. The makers/sellers of smartphones have done pretty well in that respect also!

So has Greg Secker........

Split – you've highlighted the retail cons that have been foisted on the consumer over the years. Clarks shoes when they were produced in this country were of top-quality (luckily I bought several pairs at knockdown prices when they were closing down the UK factories) – they are now produced abroad cheaply and at lower quality and are rubbish. But newcomers arrive e.g. Rieker, a German firm that produces really good quality shoes at sensible prices for the whole of Europe. There are other quality British retail names that are still with us but are now of decidedly indifferent quality e.g. Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's, Russell-Hobbs. It seems very common in the retail/consumer trade to buy up old respected quality British names and put them on cheaply produced (sometimes decent/sometimes rubbish) products made elsewhere. I don't have a problem with that – it's reasonably easy to see what's worth paying for. It just irritates me that the retail trade is quite happy to con many of its customers that they are buying good old-fashioned British quality (and paying for it) and getting just run-of-the-mill stuff instead.

But it's the oldest retail trick in trade isn't it? – Do what Burberry have done: create a demand for something that's produced very cheaply and charge the earth for it. The makers/sellers of smartphones have done pretty well in that respect also!

A Spaniard wearing a Burberry coat is not slow to make sure that everyone else sees the tartan trademark which forms the lining. Those invites, where I had dinner, are not going to buy Clarks shoes, for sure. So the exporters of British consumer goods are trashing their own, hard earned, reputations. Their foreign competitors can't believe their luck.

Vince's classy mag!

Atilla - Just in case you've let your subscription lapse to the magazine which “connects premium brands with high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth individuals” - and especially if you're going after that job as Vince's Chief of Staff, I thought this to be essential reading for you. https://order-order.com/

Vince.PNG

Atilla - Just in case you've let your subscription lapse to the magazine which “connects premium brands with high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth individuals” - and especially if you're going after that job as Vince's Chief of Staff, I thought this to be essential reading for you. https://order-order.com/

View attachment 254392

You certainly aren't a fawning dross who jumps to conclusions or puts his own interests before nations. ;)

Top man. Keep up the good show. :)

I see someone lurking in the political shrubbery.
Is it a bird ? is it drone ?

No it is Mr Trump's pick and look alike clone - none other than Boris.

His very quietness recently is a fore warning !!

:cool:

I see someone lurking in the political shrubbery.
Is it a bird ? is it drone ?

No it is Mr Trump's pick and look alike clone - none other than Boris.

His very quietness recently is a fore warning !!

:cool:

His HISTORY. ..

His HISTORY. ..

He was all for remaining until just before the referendum but when he saw which way the wind was blowing and became a Brexiteer.

Yes he can be flexible or see a sinking ship before time.
Everyone seems to agree Mrs Poodle has had her go and it is time for the ole dear to step down. Almost feel sorry for her but then politics is a nasty business. Lucky for her that the knife wielding Tarzan of yesteryear has retired.

Sounds like a good way the political parties can off-load their responsibilities to regulate their own members' behaviour. But otherwise, a new law that doesn't help anyone in the real world.

I think that this is mainly aimed at a cohort of young people that are currently active on social media that have massive followings and may be thinking of entering politics at some point in the future.

I'm sure that the political parties are already quite capable of calling out their own when they misbehave and I for one would rather know the backgrounds and attitudes of those I am voting for rather than an arbritary label of restriction applied to potential candidates by those 'in charge', thereby forcing people to obscure their own true intentions.

We will have to wait and see how it is to be applied, but it feels more Orwell as they are seeking to change things across the information/media spectrum whilst simultaneously injecting their own [fake] narratives.

UKGov has been losing the information war recently with Brexit/Skripal/Novichok/Syria/Trump/Russia/Islam/Migrants/EU/BBC/MSM/etc, this is just one way for them to try and reassert control.

I am not in favour of centralised control from the top. They have a very comfortable status platform at the moment without too much bossyness. Just about right imho.
I haven't followed twitter or facebook etc. Perhaps a populist wannabee politician could emerge from here. Especially if they have a big following.
They do risk however the established politicos nicking their policies.

I haven't followed twitter or facebook etc. Perhaps a populist wannabee politician could emerge from here. Especially if they have a big following.

Spot on Pat!

They do risk however the established politicos nicking their policies.

Nothing new there, except they will do that whilst simultaneously removing their ability to get into politics in the first place.

Another nail in the coffin of British democracy.

Last edited:
I still think British democracy is still worth saving , warts and all.
The thought of a nasty dictator dishing out the orders...….yukkeeee.
They invariably rob the country they have promised to serve.
Utter ratbags.

I like UK Column, their analysis appears to be thorough and without much bias, I wonder who funds them? Copied from one of their tweets:

Tommy Robinson is entitled to justice the same as anyone else. Small screen video link to court is not justice seen and heard to be done. So many questions to be answered. Question also remains why is ultra extreme Middle East Forum supporting his case & organising his protests?