Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another article about Dubai,taken from Bloomberg with some alarming facts and figures.

Bloomberg.com: News

I would definitely class Dubai and especially the real estate market there as high-risk investment.

Here's another article about Dubai,taken from Bloomberg with some alarming facts and figures.

Bloomberg.com: News

I would definitely class Dubai and especially the real estate market there as high-risk investment.

Doesnt look to convincing to me... i wonder just how much stressed foreign money is sitting in Dubai property ??

Although the Arabs do have VERY deep pockets !! so I suppose they could really create a totally fictional economy even if there is nobody there :confused:

Doesnt look to convincing to me... i wonder just how much stressed foreign money is sitting in Dubai property ??

Although the Arabs do have VERY deep pockets !! so I suppose they could really create a totally fictional economy even if there is nobody there :confused:

I know what you mean.I reckon there's got to be a lot of money over there invested in empty properties with no chance of selling.If real estate markets world-wide are crumbling I see no reason why it would be any different in Dubai.Property there had surged very quickly too.

An irony I find with Dubai - they are investing all their oil wealth in building a tourist industry but when their oil runs out,if oil goes up to $200 a barrel,no-one will be able to afford to fly there!

Who says it's increased so much? The developers, rumours, gossip etc? Have you seen any proof that prices are still strong, ie official paperwork that properties are being sold for x or y?

I would think it's an almost impossible for Dubai and the UAE to be insulated from the current problems. So much development, so much excess capacity and above all so much speculation over the last 5 years.

I could be wrong but I'd hazzard a guess that dubai property prices either have collapsed or are about to. Virtually all assets have been negativly effected, and the ones where the speculators piled in will likely and have been the hardest hit.

Maybe the oil will help somewhat but the trouble is that a lot of the buyers have been western and they don't have any oil wells (or oil revenue) in their back gardens to fall back on.

Very strange though that over the last year there have been NO stories in the press about dubai property prices, and I read all the papers and magazines.

Here's another article:

Survey Signals Dubai Housing Boom Has Ended - WSJ.com

At 0.5% they can easily pay their mortgages. I know a buy-to-letter who's paying about £100 a month. Extra £800 a month in her account every month. She is laughing.

In my view it is highly unlikely that prices will fall 50% and the main reason is yield. Once prices start dropping below a certain level then the rental income will be very high relative to other investments.

I have already seen properties selling for around £70K with a £7k a year existing rental income which is a 10% yield. If they drop much further then there will be a deluge of cash rich buyers jumping on the bandwagon, and it is already happening in some areas.

I don't doubt that "some" properties may go down by that amount but they will be polarised and this will just not happen to the market as a whole. The problem with many of the comments about property is that they are far too general which is highly misleading.

Paul

In my view it is highly unlikely that prices will fall 50% and the main reason is yield. Once prices start dropping below a certain level then the rental income will be very high relative to other investments.

I have already seen properties selling for around £70K with a £7k a year existing rental income which is a 10% yield. If they drop much further then there will be a deluge of cash rich buyers jumping on the bandwagon, and it is already happening in some areas.

I don't doubt that "some" properties may go down by that amount but they will be polarised and this will just not happen to the market as a whole. The problem with many of the comments about property is that they are far too general which is highly misleading.

Paul

I suspect 30-35% more likely to be the mark.

If one looks at inflation - in the next 2-3 years it will become rampant.

Billions of pounds / dollars / euros pumped into the global economy with no (absolute zilk - zero) output in goods and services.

Where will all that extra liquidity go?

Ok let's say there is a wealth effect of owning an asset valued at £500K now valued at £325. Somebody has lost £175K. But have they? It is all a case of perception - nominal values of assets and confidence.

We have had a collosall redistribution of wealth and incomes and the books now don't add up. Rich got richer and poor got poorer.

National Product and National Income has decreased whilst National Expenditure has Increased ====>>>>> INFLATION... Theory and practice say / state they should all be balanced (Taxation????? / or Debt?????)....

I reckon house prices have another year or so adjustment before people realise consequences... In summary house prices will recover rapidly.

I agree that inflation is at risk of being rampant which is why, in my view, interest rates should be at 5% minimum. The idea that having an almost zero rate would make lenders more likely to lend is nonsense. If there is no money to lend then reducing rates will not in any way help as was seen when Japan did the same.

Paul

ONATHON PORRITT, one of Gordon Brown’s has said, UK population must fall to 30m, read it yourself here

How exactly will that ever happen ? It is much more likely that the population will grow to 75M than it halving unless we get some disaster occurring such as bird flu or something else that would literally kill half the population.

Paul

House prices to remain subdude, Intrest rates to remain stable for next 3yrs then rocket as fast as they declined.
Equity Markets well see my post Niklei 225 is the answer.
1992 niklei nearley 4000 now 8500 .....
NDX was 5000 now ....... its all there for us to see , we live in cycles & repeat patterns.

I agree that inflation is at risk of being rampant which is why, in my view, interest rates should be at 5% minimum. The idea that having an almost zero rate would make lenders more likely to lend is nonsense. If there is no money to lend then reducing rates will not in any way help as was seen when Japan did the same.
Paul

You are absolutely right.

This situation is absurd.. Either gross stupidity or gross manipulation by the central banks - you take your pick!

Something that gives you a clue:

China is talking about replacing the dollar as you probably know.

Is China just scared of being the loser in this game? Or are China part of manipulating the world markets? What does China stand to gain from creating dis-trust in the dollar? Nothing it would seem.. weaker dollar hits them twofold: exports and currency reserves.. Then why these attacks? Are they playing a part?

I am not a conspiracy theory subscriber, but we did hear about the aboliton of the dollar many years ago in these circles. It was always said one of the goals was a new world currency.

The first step would be to increase the power of the IMF and WB. This is on the way I am sure, there have been talks about it.

houes prices to fall by 50 per cent that seems bull**** to me. The house price index that most of the governments use is flawed anyway. The people desperate to sell are skewing the results somewhat(IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE THE VOLUME OF HOUSES ON SALE POST 2007 AND PRE.). There stil is a lot of money in houses to be made there are a hell of a lot of houses now for sale (more than before) where money can be made by a quick turn around then equity strip (remortgage). Although you need a 10 or 20 percent deposit for better rates if you invest wisely and you ar informed then its the same as before really but now you dont get money for nothing.

Although this reccession may have been more sever than the last the government have reacted quite well to it the cut in i/r i feel was justified if not way to late. What you do see however is most WORLD LEADERS really do not know what to do and seam to only react to problems rather than plan and execute before hand. Still feel it will get worse before it gets better may even be a bit of a depression but its not the end of the world we will recover and there are a lot of opps out there

Last edited:
Property market ALWAYS has approx 10 - 15 year cycle.....UP then DOWN.....UP then DOWN....

Long term the line is UP and UP and AWAY....

Yes things are in doldrums now blah blah..

As long as one has not over streatched....i.e...deposited 30% or so then things are better now....

It is 110%ers who will pay heavily....As they can't sell and can't afford.....But there are many who will willingly purchase the offloaded properties......albeit at a price..!!

China is talking about replacing the dollar as you probably know.
Are they playing a part? QUOTE]

China cannot be trusted! - it will slowly pull the rug of the americans feet!
China slowly wants to see the destruction of West and take over the superpower status
Look at the way they are expanding into Africa.

Talking of property demand/yield%/population etc is a meaningless exercise, if guys have no money to pay then no matter what is the population, it does not matter!
Property prices will go down, and i would not be surprised if it went down by 50%

Guess like Chinese, it is time to look at Africa

if guys have no money to pay then no matter what is the population, it does not matter!

People still have to live somewhere and if they cannot buy they will have no option but to rent. There are a lot of cash rich buyers around who are already starting to buy properties that are giving a good yield and as the yield rises more cash will be attracted to it. The idea that prices will drop by 50% means that some of us are going to get yields that are staggering. But as we all know that will mean more competition for the properties which in turn will increase the prices.

In my view it will not take too much of a further fall to see a big increase in the interest in buying. I agree that certain types of property located in certain areas may well see a large decline but to argue that this will apply on a general basis is unlikely.

Paul

Not if this is the case,JONATHON PORRITT, one of Gordon Brown’s has said, UK population must fall to 30m, read it yourself here :(
UK population must fall to 30m, says Porritt - Times Online

If this was true there be a glut of houses on the market

Porridge is living on another planet, like his master, Gordon Brown.
Perhaps he thinks the human population should be treated like an animal population and culled when it is consuming too many resources. Conservative returning constituencies must be a prime target for "population adjustment" to ensure the continued return of Labour governments and because Conservative voters must be better off and therefore consume more, thus being enemies of the state and people. You can see the way these do-gooders and we know better than you what's good for you socialists think.
At least their days in power are numbered - at least for a few years until the Tories **** things up and the pendulum swings again.