Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Interesting debate, I hope I don't upset anyone with the way I make my points... I'll try and tone it down.

My point is that there are primary and secondary ripple effects when considering any cause and effect with respect to oil and house price inflation.

Oil obviously feeds into many other prices as it is a source of energy used as input.

With respect to the early 70s and the oil shock that ensued after the ME war and Opec got together and realised they had the oil stick was partly due to rise in prices but more due to the response of the various governments in reacting to that oil price hike.

They eased on monetary policy which subsequently fed into higher prices. Coupled with low output and productivity led to high prices and inflation.

That then fed into wage increases, industrial disputes and further spiralling prices.

The traditional Phillips curve broke down (link between high unemployment and low inflation). We finally had high inflation and high unemployment i.e. Stagflation.

Whilst there are simalarities the cause and effect and transmission mechanisms are different.

Today it's not down to wage increases or falling output. As we have rising productivity and output. Problem is more due to loose monetary policy in terms historically low interest rates and high lending, hence the debt bubble. Coupled with house inflation and the wealth effect inevitably feeds into high demand and further inflationary pressures.

Debt bubble has also been with us for the last 2/3 years.

Best part of 2006 & 2007 we had oil at well over $50/$70 dollars. That is double the $35 price prior to the rises. Everything was hunky dorry until end of 2007...

This recession is inevitably the bursting of the debt bubble and house price inflation based on pure economic developments imo.

He he he he! guess this is the best opportunity of a lifetime to make tons of money!!!
Would you ever imagine that the biggest democracy/capitalist in the world would nationalise banks!!

and now we have the biggest ever bancruptcy in the world,
Is the party over!!!!

well on 2nd thoughts I think the party has just begun, for me at least
YES YES and I am saying YES YES to the greatest ever recession

Can I ask what you will be doing to benefit from it?

I currently rent, and hold a lot of cash.

Can I do anything else?

Can I ask what you will be doing to benefit from it?

I currently rent, and hold a lot of cash.

Can I do anything else?

Ok so you rent and hold lot of cash!
first thing is DO NOT BUY NOW!

Use the rally to SHORT the markets - Make tons of money and then BUY

One strategy you can use is that vacate your rented house, encourage as many people to do this as possible, so you do not rent! - Go move in with parents/relatives!

The buy to let investors will have empty properties - they will be forced to sell.

So you have cash ready!!!!!!!!!!
and then you have the opportunity to BUY

What you think???
I know it is going to extremes! - But this is life and thats why the 1% have the 95% of wealth

Ok so you rent and hold lot of cash!
first thing is DO NOT BUY NOW!

Use the rally to SHORT the markets - Make tons of money and then BUY

One strategy you can use is that vacate your rented house, encourage as many people to do this as possible, so you do not rent! - Go move in with parents/relatives!

The buy to let investors will have empty properties - they will be forced to sell.

So you have cash ready!!!!!!!!!!
and then you have the opportunity to BUY

What you think???
I know it is going to extremes! - But this is life and thats why the 1% have the 95% of wealth

LOL... talk about extremes... this is why I now live in Thailand... I sold everything and now live in a tropical paradise with all my cash safely earning 7% plus ... I will wait and then come back to buy at around a 30% discount to the peak...

How do I know when the prices have dropped 30% I know my local property market inside out... I know what to pay an when... forget what the Halifax and Nationwide say... they are National figures and should be taken with a pinch of salt...

Even with a pile of cash you still have to be carefull.. Who would have predicted such events as the last few days... I was offered a job at Lehmans about 18 months ago, which I turned down and went elsewhere but i would never have believed they could be gone !!! This is an extreme event... more will follow..

be careful out there :cheesy:

LOL... talk about extremes... this is why I now live in Thailand... I sold everything and now live in a tropical paradise with all my cash safely earning 7% plus ... I will wait and then come back to buy at around a 30% discount to the peak... :cheesy:

Thailand!!! WOW - guess you have the WWW - Wine, Women ( that 2 lovely!) and the weather, and what's more the ability to trade the switchover from asian to UK session!
But how do you manage trading the US session? Or dont you bother with this?

Thailand!!! WOW - guess you have the WWW - Wine, Women ( that 2 lovely!) and the weather, and what's more the ability to trade the switchover from asian to UK session!
But how do you manage trading the US session? Or dont you bother with this?

I trade mainly FOREX so I get the AUS / NZD at good times... plus if I need to I just stay up late and sleep in :D

I would say its quite a bit easier to trade from here,, but not if your a scalper.. the prices are a bit slow...

YES indeed the party is OVER! thats what the author said!
Look at some of the early post on this threads, some guys were saying that UK was immune to the problems! WOW was it - Northern Rock! Bradford & Bingly , HALIFAX, this is just a start!

We in india are also awaiting for the american sneeze, and i can see chaos in India aand then spreading to Asia!

YES the party is over! - what's more thats what Nacy said!

YouTube - Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) Floor Speech Before Bailout Vote

All good points, except that it missed the big one: the party has been over for some time now. I sold my London house just over a year ago and I reckon I was at or very near the peak. (The house next door sold a few months later for unbelievably 25% less!)

All good points, except that it missed the big one: the party has been over for some time now. I sold my London house just over a year ago and I reckon I was at or very near the peak. (The house next door sold a few months later for unbelievably 25% less!)

Yep... I reckon you were bang on... BUT in there is a key stage in the bubble cycle and its called "DENIAL" I sold in January of this year smashed the ceiling price in my street as well I can only put it down to DENIAL. Whilst keeping my mouth firmly closed about what I knew was going to happen it seems the man on street simply did not see the train coming until its was too late..:eek:.

My missus was always moaning about me watching financials on TV.. but she doesnt anymore!! lol...

I also bailed out in August 07 and stuck the proceeds into an off-plan development in Dubai which has seen huge increases in cap appreciation over the last few years.

People say the UAE economy is insulated from the world economy based on oil revenues but I'm kinda wondering whether to cash in and scoop up a decent unsold lot at auction in the UK sometime next year when things should be really dire!

Anyone got any views about whether the Middle East will catch the USA flu? I think Dubai gets 12% of it's GDP from oil so there's 88% derived from all sorts of other stuff like import/export tourism, air travel (big transfer hub to Far East) etc.

Surely a monster global recession coupled with ever increasing oil prices in the medium term will seriously curb international travel and international tourism?

Thoughts?

Yep... I reckon you were bang on... BUT in there is a key stage in the bubble cycle and its called "DENIAL" I sold in January of this year smashed the ceiling price in my street as well I can only put it down to DENIAL. Whilst keeping my mouth firmly closed about what I knew was going to happen it seems the man on street simply did not see the train coming until its was too late..:eek:.

My missus was always moaning about me watching financials on TV.. but she doesnt anymore!! lol...

The problem is the so called guy in the street listens to the morons who calls themselves pundits or gurus

I also bailed out in August 07 and stuck the proceeds into an off-plan development in Dubai which has seen huge increases in cap appreciation over the last few years.

Who says it's increased so much? The developers, rumours, gossip etc? Have you seen any proof that prices are still strong, ie official paperwork that properties are being sold for x or y?

I would think it's an almost impossible for Dubai and the UAE to be insulated from the current problems. So much development, so much excess capacity and above all so much speculation over the last 5 years.

I could be wrong but I'd hazzard a guess that dubai property prices either have collapsed or are about to. Virtually all assets have been negativly effected, and the ones where the speculators piled in will likely and have been the hardest hit.

Maybe the oil will help somewhat but the trouble is that a lot of the buyers have been western and they don't have any oil wells (or oil revenue) in their back gardens to fall back on.

Very strange though that over the last year there have been NO stories in the press about dubai property prices, and I read all the papers and magazines.

Who says it's increased so much? The developers, rumours, gossip etc? Have you seen any proof that prices are still strong, ie official paperwork that properties are being sold for x or y?

I would think it's an almost impossible for Dubai and the UAE to be insulated from the current problems. So much development, so much excess capacity and above all so much speculation over the last 5 years.

I could be wrong but I'd hazzard a guess that dubai property prices either have collapsed or are about to. Virtually all assets have been negativly effected, and the ones where the speculators piled in will likely and have been the hardest hit.

Maybe the oil will help somewhat but the trouble is that a lot of the buyers have been western and they don't have any oil wells (or oil revenue) in their back gardens to fall back on.

Very strange though that over the last year there have been NO stories in the press about dubai property prices, and I read all the papers and magazines.

Here's an article from the White Times.It was printed on Sept 29th but I've provided the link from the Times Online.

Reality bites for Dubai property market boom - Times Online

Ready

Thanks for that. Like I said I real ALL the financial papers and personal finance magazines and that's THE first Dubai negative property article I've seen since this mess started about 1 year ago.

Personally I think some sort of cover up. The Dubai government was a massive spender of PR money over the last 5 years in the western press, probably mainly here inthe UK. Wouldn't be surprised if they've paid more money to keep the bad news out. You can do this you know, Maggie Thatcher's old PR man Sir Tim Bell has got a couple of very wealthy clients on his books (100s millions or billion type guys) who pay him BIG money to keep their names (generally) out of the media.

Everyone got's a price (I certainly have!), even the Queen, but her's aint cash it's the country.

Ready

Thanks for that. Like I said I real ALL the financial papers and personal finance magazines and that's THE first Dubai negative property article I've seen since this mess started about 1 year ago.

Personally I think some sort of cover up. The Dubai government was a massive spender of PR money over the last 5 years in the western press, probably mainly here inthe UK. Wouldn't be surprised if they've paid more money to keep the bad news out. You can do this you know, Maggie Thatcher's old PR man Sir Tim Bell has got a couple of very wealthy clients on his books (100s millions or billion type guys) who pay him BIG money to keep their names (generally) out of the media.

Everyone got's a price (I certainly have!), even the Queen, but her's aint cash it's the country.

For what its worth I dont think there is really anywhere on the planet that will not feel some measure of pain because of the current "issues", I have friends who invested in Dubai at 30K each for apartments.. seemed a good investment to me, and provided they hold on long enough I suppose everything comes around sooner or later... it might take a decade or so ??

the main issue I think Dubai might face is over supply..

Beef

I would think that 'over supply' is already a major problem out there.

Beef

I would think that 'over supply' is already a major problem out there.

Indeed, but I would say that over supply only really surfaces because the money to build new developments is removed (like in a Credit Crunch) it is not a concern that units are empty when there is cheap money still available.

developers continue to build regardless whether they sold their last developments or not because they use the empty ones as leverage to capitalise new one's.. or attract new money with fictional publications / advertisements.

Until at some "tipping point" when a landslide of selling begins...

You should see Phuket these days... its a giant building site, they are still going nuts here ??? there are empty properties everywhere

You should see Phuket these days... its a giant building site, they are still going nuts here ??? there are empty properties everywhere

Don't worry the Thais in their wisdom have a policy for falling sales and revenues - raising prices :)