U.S. Shutdown, no agreement

• Thread starter Liquid validity
  • Start date
  • Watchers 14
Yesterday's open after the week-end showed more reaction to the upcoming uncertainty than did the event itself.

the longer it takes the more fun will ensue in the markets.....watch this space indeed

jees the biggest Democratic Nation in the world and they cant even run the Admin office

god bless the land of the free....

N

With New York just coming on line I wonder if the cancellation of scheduled USD data releases today will mean some will be exposed if they’ve taken a position on expected volatility/movement based upon release of the data. In which case will they leave things as they are and wait and see, or move to cover their positions?

Perhaps the shutdown is the only way they can tackle their debt mountain. Take out the entire public sector: administration, government, benefits. Savings would be substantial. Come back in a couple of years’ time and see what needs mopping up.

Seriously though, the Republicans will come out of this a lot worse than the Democrats as they are seen to be the ones pushing for it. Straw polls suggest support for GOP has fallen to one third of pre-budget talks levels.

In a true democracy, where politicians really did work for the people who elect them, if they got USA Corp. into this sort of pickle - you'd fire the lot for gross incompetence.

Well - I'm not trading today - not with the potential for rumors and finger pointing all over the place.

Anyone fancy a pint?

Perhaps the shutdown is the only way they can tackle their debt mountain. Take out the entire public sector: administration, government, benefits. Savings would be substantial. Come back in a couple of years’ time and see what needs mopping up.

Seriously though, the Republicans will come out of this a lot worse than the Democrats as they are seen to be the ones pushing for it. Straw polls suggest support for GOP has fallen to one third of pre-budget talks levels.

I have the idea that the sun is about to start setting for the US. Their debt mountain has been tolerated because of the massive power and influence that they have enjoyed abroad in past years. That may be about to change

Increasing numbers of their own countrymen are handing in their passports and ceasing to remain citizens.

Their decreasing influence has become more apparent with the Syrian crisis, in which Russia has emerged on the scene.

LOL 'It will be sorted in the end'

You mean the can kicked.

Seems to me the only way out for the USA is hyperinflation now. They can't taper QE because they can't afford the increase in interest rates.

Just a matter of how and when it unfolds now.

It will all be sorted in the end as it always is.

Everything is always sorted in the end; one way or another, but that doesn't necessairly mean a happy ending.

You'd imagine these career politicians would put the country ahead of partisan game playing.

And 'the end' may not find it sorted to the ultimate benefit of your average American citizen, all because these clowns were left in charge.

With New York just coming on line I wonder if the cancellation of scheduled USD data releases today will mean some will be exposed if they’ve taken a position on expected volatility/movement based upon release of the data. In which case will they leave things as they are and wait and see, or move to cover their positions?

Great question, PB (y)

Here's what an economist at DB had to say: "The ADP report has improved significantly as a forecasting input for private payrolls over the past year. In the event that the employment report is delayed, we will be comfortable relying on the ADP series as a close proxy of September hiring."

source: Where can data junkies get fix during shutdown?

Everything is always sorted in the end; one way or another, but that doesn't necessairly mean a happy ending.

You'd imagine these career politicians would put the country ahead of partisan game playing.

And 'the end' may not find it sorted to the ultimate benefit of your average American citizen, all because these clowns were left in charge.

I don't think that they can, at this stage, PB. They owe the world trillions and whatever is wrong with them, internally, how are they going to pay for it? We, at least the UK and Spain, can't do it with our healthcare and they must have realised, long ago, that that is an impossible task. It is a terrible expense, all the more terrible because we really do need it.

I( think that they have crossed the point of no return.

It is not, I think, a question of whether we crossed the point of no return or not. We are just as a country going through a cycle of life. The world is so interconnected in so many ways that debt is traded much like commodities and to say that we cannot pay back debt is meaningless because every country or business is indebted in some way to someone else. Political favor is sometimes worth much more than most people might think. Power is money but power is only useful if people follow. As people continue to become more like sheep in wake of social technology, actual money becomes less important. A number is just a number. Be it a trillion or a million.

Cheers

It is not, I think, a question of whether we crossed the point of no return or not. We are just as a country going through a cycle of life. The world is so interconnected in so many ways that debt is traded much like commodities and to say that we cannot pay back debt is meaningless because every country or business is indebted in some way to someone else. Political favor is sometimes worth much more than most people might think. Power is money but power is only useful if people follow. As people continue to become more like sheep in wake of social technology, actual money becomes less important. A number is just a number. Be it a trillion or a million.

Cheers

All this debt is going to bring down the whole of Western capitalism, eventually. The money is devaluing at an ever increasing pace. When I first started work my wages were 30 pounds per month. Anyone putting money away for his pension is facing ruin and remember that there are more of us elderly folk every year. This is where, eventually, the crunch will be felt, with more and more people going to soup kitchens and freezing to death in winter.

We are living like rats on a waterwheel. We have to keep climbing to stay out of the water.

One day a man walked into an hotel and asked to inspect the bridal suite. He left a £50 note with owner as a deposit.

The owner nipped round to wine merchant and paid him the £50 he owed him.

The wine merchant nipped round to the deli and paid him the £50 he owed him.

The deli owner nipped round to a lady of the street and paid her the £50 he owed her.

The lady of the street nipped into the same hotel and paid the £50 she owed for rooms.

The man came back from the bridal suite, picked up his £50 from the owner and left.

Voila - everyone was out of debt and went on their merry way.

Such is the way the world works today - smoke and mirrors.

This was of course how it was before money was used - pure barter. Although to find all of them pricing their products and services at the same level is stretching it. I don't think the lady working in the leisure industry would be paying the same rate for the room as she was charging her clients.

More of a worry than the budget is the debt ceiling. If Congress screw that up too we have a far bigger worry of a potential US default on bonds. It's happened before so don't think it can't this time.

Would make 2008 look like a tea party.