Trading the ES (E mini) December 2003

TICK TOCK

mombasa said:
Hi Stoploss, China, Sandpiper,

Been printing and going thru this thread trying to figure out what u guys are talking about and failing miserably :(

Any chance of someone posting a summary on the basics of how u use TICK etc?

Any useful links or recommended books would be great.

Cheers

OK. I can do the basics... just about ;).

Just in case there is any confusion. TICK is the net of all NYSE stock upticking versus those downticking. A lot of people confuse it for some kind of advance/decline measure but it's vitally important to remember that is isn't.

Now. There are about 3,200 NYSE stocks. So, in theory, TICK has a range of +3200 to -3200..... ;). In practice TICK readings in excess of +1200 or below -1200 are extremely rare.

As China says, TICK is a measure of buying/selling intensity NOW. A figure of +300 means that 300 more NYSE stocks upticked last than downticked. This could be 600 upticks 300 downticks or some other combination. You don't know.

From a purely logical standpoint, there is no reason to connect the TICK reading now with the TICK reading 1 hour/1 day ago. Why, well for a start, the +900 TICK reading now may represent a substantially different set of stocks than the +900 reading we had 1 hour ago. Secondly, a +900 TICK reading now when the S&P cash is, say, +10 is different than the +900 reading we had when the cash was maybe -5, 1 hour ago.

Although TICK is "transient" you often see the same patterns forming in it as you see in the S&P cash or the e-mini. For example, it's quite common to see a congestion wedge in TICK forming at the same time as a wedge in the cash or the futures. In that case it does tell you that fewer and fewer stocks are ticking up/ticking down (although it doesn't even do that actually if you think about it), but you don't really need TICK to tell you that since you can see it in the price movement of the cash or the futures.

A common use for TICK is as a kind of entry filter. In my case, if I've identified an uptrend, or I want to go long on a breakout, I won't go long until TICK retreats or retraces to a value of 300 or less, i.e. I wouldn't go long with TICK at +900 or +1200. And vice versa. Ideally in this situation (i.e. an uptrend) you often get a retracement of TICK to 0 which is also a good point to consider going long. All of this applies in reverse if I want to go short.

Generally speaking, sustained periods of TICK readings greater than 0 are bullish and vice versa for sustained reading of less than 0. But, bearing in mind the transient nature of TICK you have to be careful with this one.

The other useful thing that TICK sometimes highlights (for me anyway) is buy and sell programs. Not always that easy to see just looking at TICK, but you can start to get an idea. That's kind of another area anyway so I don't want to go OT about it.

In order to develop any kind of confidence trading with TICK, you have to really understand what it is and what it isn't and crucially what it's limitations/weaknesses are. China has been through them at various points, but just for the record:

1) TICK measure buy/sell intensity of NYSE stocks NOW (all 4,200 of 'em)
2) We trade a future on a weighted cash index of 500 of the largest cap stocks.

It stands to reason then that any TICK reading reflects up/down ticks in a lot of additional stocks as well as the ones that underly the index that we are interested in. So, what happens if all the small cap stocks are ticking up, but the large cap are ticking down?. Well, in that case you would get a higher TICK reading in comparison with a lower S&P Cash/Futures price (a kind of divergence.... see Stoploss post from a couple of days ago).

I'll leave someone alse to summarise how you might identify and trade different types of TICK divergences (if they want to). But, as has been said, it's all there in the posts that Stoploss and China have put up previously.

hth a little bit.

Post should, of course, have read 3,200 NYSE issues (not 4,200), so I've edited it accordingly.

Last edited:
Good job Sand and a great reminder for me. Do you remember all those questions I was asking you guys. I was so confused.

divs btwn indices and abberation

Sand - many thx for yr post. I think it cud not be explained any better!

OK - I need to apologise in advance. I will have to post 2 charts I have already posted - with detailed explanations this time.

We had 2 abberation days which were resolved differently. I personally do not recall 2 aberration days in a row since early 2000. Very good as we get a chance to thoroughly analise them.

Let us first remind ourselves how we define divs across indices in this system to figure out if it is a trend/non-trend day. I hv 2 tell u str8 away (as u may hv already sussed it) that u may find certain things counter-intuitive at 1st glance

1) internals
2) relative positioning of indices towards THEIR RESPECTIVE key avarages
3) relative intraday tops/bottoms divs - say Comp dancing LHs whilst Dow performs HHs :)

An example. Situation A - Comp down 0.8%, Dow down 0.5% BUT both of them r "equally" below their key averages. Situation B - Comp down 0.8%, Dow down 0.8% BUT Comp is well below its key averages whilst Dow is well above. IN OUR SYSTEM Situation B is displaying MORE NEG DIVERGENCE btwn Comp and Dow than Situation A.

Str8 away - look at NDX and SPX charts for 08-12 and 09-12. U will c that on 09-12 the neg div btwn indices was loads stronger, as SPX was above ITS averages whilst NDX below ITS averages, unlike 08-12 when BOTH were below. I am not even talking here about secondary bit of info - BIX shining on 08-12 (relative to SPX) and sinking on 09-12 (again, RELATIVE to SPX).

NOW ABBERATION. It is a rare situation when tech indices r down, dow is up AND intraday techs record LLs whilst blue chips display HLs. What is meant to be a trend down day (from internals) HAS a chance to reverse into the close on the back of blue-chip strength. Or put it the other way round, those rare situations when blue chips, and not techs MAY be leaders. This may occur due to a variety of reasons - "gravitation" to 10K on the blue chips, some asbestos court news (80% of Dow components r exposed to asbesto) etc. - why it happens is irrelevant, WHAT MATTERS IS HOW ABERRATION GETS RESOLVED. The simple fact is that neg divs across indices try to pull Dow and SPX down, whilst aberration tries to give techs a lift. Tug of war.

2 aberration days. 08-12 and 09-12. As I mentioned b4, neg divs across indices were much stronger on 09-12, so the odds of aberration resolving in techs' favour (down) r already higher than on 08-12.

And now the final touch. C point 3 in definition of divs across indices above. We know what the intraday lows r doing. Look at intraday highs.

On 09-12 after Fed SPX and Dow went to HHs, techs failed. On 08-12 blue chips had LHs (well, equal :cheesy: ) while techs had HHs.

The irony about this is that even when blue chips LEAD u still get the final-touch hint from tech leadership.

much of this stuff goes against guts I know. Took me a long time to develop this perspective of WHAT is really outperforming. Pls DO grill me with yr critique :cheesy:

Attachments

• spx0912keyavrg.jpg
    spx0912keyavrg.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 322
now NDX chart

u really need to be looking at both charts to c what I mean :cheesy:

Attachments

• ndx0912keyavrg.jpg
    ndx0912keyavrg.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 333
mombasa

pls find a minute to read my pm and sand's brilliant explanation of how tick works. Hope u get a clear pic. If not, fire away yr Qs.

lads/lasses - it is 21:45 here in mexico and I am off. Looks like it's gonna be a long n8 :) good trading to all u lot tomorrow :)

China,

Thx m8 - much appreciated.

Looks like its gonna be a long hard learning curve :)

PS - sent u a PM too re program trading.

Sandy - thx for your explanation too - u have a PM too.

Rgds

Last edited:
China and Sand

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge so openly. The four threads that I have started since September have taught me the bulk of WHAT I NEED TO KNOW about how to trade. All the other newbees out there should really take a look at this stuff as we have covered every thing from price action to internals and now we are looking at S&R and cross correlation.

Rossored
Can you tell me how you save the monthly threads as it would be a shame to loose this information.

Back to cross index relationships. What I do on a daily basis is I drag across horizontal lines for the days highs and lows for as many sessions as I can. I then calculate pivot points and S1,2,3 and R1,2,3. I identify the pivot point as the line in the sand and see if any of the calculated support and resistance is in the area of the highs and lows made by the price action. I then clean up the chart so that my points are are the nearest round number.
What I then do is see if market professionals making postings have identified any other areas or s&r or have identified one of my areas as being key. Maybe there is for instance and area of importance to swing traders. Now having Chinas MA set up is interesting as yesterday, the MA was at the pivot. I suppose this will add weight but I am only guessing.

China
As for other cross correlations, do you think it would be a good exercise for me to keep my set up of SOX, BIX and RUS2000 as we can compare notes. I would like to have the Comp the Dow and the NDX as well but I do not have enough screen space at the mo. Going to three 19 inches next week. Waiting for delivery.

Andy

Stoploss,

I use "comp-dow" and "ndx-spx" as main crosses. "sox-comp" and "bix-spx" r secondary ones. If I had to sacrifice, I'd hv to do away with sox and bix mate.

anyway u r getting the screens next week :)

Cheers China

I am going to see if I can do some overlaying to save space.

The cheque is in he post for my new set up. I am hoping to have it all ready by friday.

Just in time for all the Xmas burglars.

A suggestion

As we have probably covered the majority of what is in the tick, we should maybe develop this thread a little. We could maybe revist the tick once we have an understanding of what else is out there.

How about we look at

(A). Support and resisitance.
(B). Index cross confirmation.

Which one do you guys want to look at first.

Cheers
Andy

Andy,

what if we encourage every1 interested to ask specific Qs - and then summarise As into a sort of a tutorial? otherwise i am afraid if i start faffing about index crosses I'll clog up all this cyberspace :)

All too complex for me..

very impressive but I just buy when the chart turns green and sell when it turns red... xchart is coloured based on SLOWD of 38,9,9 stochastic..

Attachments

• spoos 10dec.gif
    spoos 10dec.gif
    40 KB · Views: 259
stoploss

they are warnings to tighten stops becasue reversal is near..i.e the 2 stochastcis I follow 14/3/3 and 38/9/9 are either both above 75 = overbought or less than 25 = oversold..

Quite useful I find.. don't act on them directly but take care..

madasafish

very cheerful chart indeed :) what software is it?

also - when u use stochastic - u enter trades on the cross of fast and slow, right? The reason why i am asking is that if i remember it right, u can't do any divergencies on stochastics.

Hi does anybody know what the symbol for the big s&p is

on Interactive Brokers ?

thanks
ian