Trading the Dow Jones Strategy

Hi N. B.
If you load Chartmans info onto a floppy you can see it on another computer, and it's small to carry.
regards

Dow Trading the Dow Jones

Dear Newtron Bomb

I have just come across this useful document. Are you able to advise me what charting software and data feed you/chartman use. I am basically a novice and have Medved quote tracker and Scott trade data feed, both of which are free. unfortunatly this set up does not show the 100MA (I assume 100 day moving average) so it is not that useful in terms of this trading systme that needs it.

Regards

Orky

Newtron Bomb said:
At last ive compiled the trading the Dow Jones strategy with the kind permission of Martin AKA Chartman, thank you. :D

It brings together all the key points from Trading the Dow so you can get to grips with forming the foundation of a sound trading strategy.

Hopefully it will become a work in progress explaining the basics to the beginner and expanding it maybe to include additional tools to get to a more advanced level.

All suggestions for improvements are welcome please PM me about them or post them here.

Some of you may have problems printing the document if you do go to print preview to make sure the charts are there and print from print preview.

Have Fun :cheesy:

Trading is a high risk area of investment and it is possible to lose more money than your original deposit.
Investment in this area may not be suitable for you, should you have any doubts, you should seek advice from your investment advisor.
PAST SYSTEM PERFORMANCE IS NO GUARANTEE OF THE DESIRED OUTCOME IN THE FUTURE !

Rossord
Cheers for responding, only just seen this message ;)

Orky
Rosso mentioed the software that you will need above in his post. There are a whole host of providers for data and software. You may want to check out the reviews section of the site and do a search on google for online charting if you are looking for somehting free to get you started.

Happy Trading
NB

I have been working on a simialr system, but this Excellent document just confirms what I was doing, many many many Thanks.

jonnyy40 said:
Yes,I PMed Newtron bomb,and he suggested works wordprocessor,which unfortunately didn't work.Can anyone suggest an alternative?Are there any downloads available to facilitate reading zipped graphics?I only need the charts,the rest was ok.Can word be downloaded from somewhere?

hi :) try www.openoffice.org ... they have a free office xp emulator which will read all office documents, including Word, and it doesn't crash, either :)

hope it helps

Great document

Hi there,

I've been lurking in this thread for a while now, and I think this document is worth its weight on gold, specially for noobies like miself.

These sort of things do provide some kind of framework to start shaping one's trading around.

Priceless. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Regards,
Incover

Raptor: i.e www.raptorgroupresearch.com

I'm a newbie trading Dow exclusively, but got lost on this site.

What is the route thru it to the stuff of 'Dow' interest?

(Maybe I should make the coffee a bit stronger :LOL: )

Tim

Last edited:
Hi NM,
Just a clarification, Iam a newbie to this Spread bet and trying to get more details about it.
The document which u posted in this thread is that particular for the DOW trading strategy? or is this applicable to all types of Spread bet trading like Equities/Index etc....
Cheers VP

Hiya folks

I'm really happy that you can take from the Strat in the Document, I simply put it together.

My view on TA is that it can be used on all markets and time frames. This is generally speaking and please do not send me you views for and against this argument.

My suggestion is to put this method or indeed any method and note how the price action interacts with the method you are looking at so that you have a benchmark with which to trade with.

The methods I use are interchangeable between forex, index futures and nasdaq stocks

There is a degree of separation between these three markets but the TA is the same. The way I use those tools will vary depending on market and market conditions.

Remember price is king

Happy Trading
NB

As a new trader this strategy has proved invaluable - thank you Chartman & Newtron.

I seem to be struggling a bit with the 1m timeframe at the moment. This I believe is because at the moment I am not synthesising the data quickly / thoroughly enough, which leads to poor trades. Then once I am in I panic exit when it moves against me.

I have seen mention of using a 3m timeframe with 34EMA in place of the 100EMA. Do the CCI & RSI settings stay the same please?

Regards,
Gizmo

You would normally use 1/3 settings, so CCI 50 and RSI 5, but don't bank on it....

Needing Specifics on Setting Up Platform to Trade Dow Futures

Hi to all.
I'm a newbie to this forum and will betray my ignorance. I have been studying a strategy on trading Dow futures for several months. I'm encouraged and believe the system will be successful but definitely want to take it slow and 'paper trade' for several months to gain comfidence and skill. I have never actually set up a platform to trade and am feeling lost. I'm unsure what programs are best for trading Dow futures and what brokers to consider. I have searched this forum without finding actual specifics to help me but may not be looking in the right place. I know you've probably heard this plaintive plea numerous times before, but some help would be greatly appreciated. All the best to all of you and remember our troops on this Memorial day.
Staghorn

Hi
I'm dying to read your document but keep getting an error when my microsoft Word 2002 tries to open it. Error says something about 'this application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.' I can see the open document in the background but each time a click 'ok' on the error message I lose the file. Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks
Staghorn

Hi
I'm a newbie working on learning to trade Dow futures. I just tried to access the URL you provided but was unable to do so. Any idea if this website is still up? thanks for any advice.
Staghorn

My thanks go to Newtron Bomb for collating this work . Time simply prevents me from producing such a document. Those starting out trading the DOW should find it a useful reference document.
Enjoy.

I've added Stochastics with a setting of 39 1 1 which seems to get me in the trade quite early. Can't remember where I got those settings from now, but they've worked well on daytrading the Dax as well.