Best Thread Trade2Win's 10 Year Anniversary - Day 5 (Anatomy of a Trade)

Well, I will first apologise for lack of detail on the decision making process. I am not using much information to trade off. No higher timeframe analysis, no price derived indicators, no news. I do have cumulative delta on my charts as I do have certain scenarios where I will use that information. The volume profile is pretty much redundant - I put that on my chart when I downloaded the Gomi CD indicator as a replacement to my, errr... rather less elegant one. Someone remind me to take it off.

I have price levels I watch for but I will also look for specific action to trade off. I will confirm all trades with a combination of DOM & Time & Sales. We are already gapped up over yesterdays high, so I don't have to worry about that level being of interest. I'm generally bearish today as a gap up following 2 down days could well bring in reactive selling.

So - onto my notes - these are from my trade log, this is what I log as I am in a trade. I also did a few more screen grabs than usual to make more sense of the log. Excuse my screwing up the past/present tense as I edited my notes for the log...

10:04 Trade Entry - Price took a small trip down from the open and then moved up for 20 minutes. At 1287.75 price stalled. The 'rhythm' had changed, buyers started to become a little shy about buying. Within a few minutes some big sellers came in (500, 700, 1000, 1200 lot orders). This looked like a reversal to me. I took a short 3 contracts with a limit order at 1287 on which I was filled. The fill took a while and I thought I wasn't going to get it - thankfully I did. I wasn't the only one wanting to sell there, which is nice.

Trade1.png

Initial stop loss on the order was 5 ticks. I put first target at 4 ticks, second target 11 ticks (just above the morning low) and the last target I left open to manage later.

10:09:40 - Target 1 Hit.

Trade2.png

Note that someone was trying to hold the price up according to the DOM/T&S at 1285.50 but the sellers are still managing to push through it but then buyers keep jumping back in. I would like to see 1285 broken (the open) to feel a little more comfortable. It's too early for a b/e stop so I am still risking the 5 ticks on 2 contracts. It is taking roughly 2000-2500 contracts to push down through each level.
Trade3.png

OK - 1285 is now broken, it took 4481 contracts on the last push at 1285 for it to break through.

10:22 - Target 2 Hit.

Trade4.png

It got though 1284.50 with only 1226 contracts. This is a good sign

Price has moved down to 1283.50 and then moved up 4 ticks from that low - we need to see sellers come in now as we are now looking like a double bottom, although we still have good participation from the sellers, they are not getting anything for their efforts. We need to break the low to get some acceleration as the new longs get run over.

OK - we got that push down.

Trade5.png

The buyers of the double bottom just got run over.

10:32 - Tightening stop to 1286 as we have broken 1283 and I don't want to give too much back if it comes back up. If BIG buyers jump in, I'll bail if it moves up 6 or 7 ticks anyway

10:38 - Saw a lot of buyers coming in on the tape. Sellers have become less aggressive and I think we are heading into some chop. There is little chance of a nice clean pullback at this point and so I will exit the last contract.

Trade7.png

Trade8.png

Chart as of finishing this typing job.

Trade10.png

I hope never to have to repeat this exercise of trading and having to explain myself afterwards! I genuinely felt under much more pressure because of this than if I were just trading for myself. Not nice. I can't see how anyone could run a trading room...

As a bit of an afterthought - here's a 500 tick chart from which it's easier to see the described price action (aka noise ;) ).
Trade12.png

Last edited:
Very nice trade DT - the chop at 10.35ish came from longs on the H4 20 and 50 MA's but it's weak so they got run over IMO.

This annotating a trade (s) and describing it in the way Sharky suggested is actually a good idea for a thread, there have been some good contibutions, - and it is better than 99% of the other rubbish posted on a typical day. It is also interesting to see the style of others' trading and markets traded.

G/L

Thought I'd make things more interesting with a different kind of trade. Chew on this...

Uzbekistan v Jordan, AFC Asian Cup, Match odds, In-play
2697393790105305888S600x600Q85.jpg

Trade
Trade: Lay at 1.9
Exit: 2.0 (10 point target)
Stop: If a goal goes against me (at the time, it equates to just a 50 point stop that was quite unlikely in my experience as the trade lasted about 45 seconds; poor R/R but great probability of success; if it continues to fall, it means they have control of ball still so get the hell out).

Justification
Uzbekistan are favourites to win the game and as you can see from the chart at around 2.0 it fell because they had control of the ball (I'm not watching but it's obvious). General trend is up because it's a time-related thing - the odds get bigger as we advance towards full-time and the team has yet to score a goal. Laid at 1.9 because it is a recent high and there was movement back up (ie they lost control of the ball).

Outcome
Target was hit by the time I'd figured out how to do a screen grab of the software as they're all separate windows hidden from the task bar, if you see what I mean.

Last edited:
Thought I'd make things more interesting with a different kind of trade. Chew on this...

Uzbekistan v Jordan International Friendly, Match odds, In-play
2697393790105305888S600x600Q85.jpg

Trade
Trade: Lay at 1.9
Exit: 2.0 (10 point target)
Stop: If a goal goes against me (at the time, it equates to just a 50 point stop that was quite unlikely in my experience as the trade lasted about 45 seconds; poor R/R but great probability of success).

Justification
Uzbekistan are favourites to win the game and as you can see from the chart at around 2.0 it fell because they had control of the ball (I'm not watching but it's obvious). General trend is up because it's a time-related thing - the odds get bigger as we advance towards full-time and the team has yet to score a goal. Laid at 1.9 because it is a recent high and there was movement back up (ie they lost control of the ball).

Outcome
Target was hit by the time I'd figured out how to do a screen grab of the software as they're all separate windows hidden from the task bar, if you see what I mean.

correction : Asian cup :D , btw it is 2.4 now

Oops. I was watching Young Boys earlier (steady!) and assumed it was the same. You're right! Will edit. And yes, 2.4 now but it took a lot longer to get there which opens you up to a goal being scored against you.

"Trade2Win's 10 Year... Jan 21, 2011 5:07pm DionysusToast Brilliant !"

Yes, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about. :D

Edit: sorry, DT, didn't think you'd care I replied/posted your comment.

Last edited:
Just in case my last entry isn't permissible as it's not a trade I have taken, how about this one?

Reason: faded trader_dante*

*second time this week - he's very bullish yen

LOL, now if you had only taken my initial call, you could have bought the low and cut and reversed at the high :p

"Nice shoes, by the way, Arabian." Which indicator do you use to determine his shoes? :D

Tom awoke, bleary eyed... The pillow next to him without the lovely head resting on it from last night... oh, last night.. what a night... didn't they...? Well - it HAD been a long time for both of them.

Tom put his hand to the pillow, still warm, he turned over towards the door of the bedsit to see a fresh pot of coffee on the boil and the back of his lover, those stylish Fosters jeans with a crease down the front and a pair of immaculate patent leather brogues, walking through the door...

Oh, yes Arab, we had been naughty boys last night...

...better start looking for the bloody hamster...

Blimey, donkey has made a video so here I am on a Friday afternoon downloading video making software just to keep up with him.

This annotating a trade (s) and describing it in the way Sharky suggested is actually a good idea for a thread, there have been some good contibutions, - and it is better than 99% of the other rubbish posted on a typical day. It is also interesting to see the style of others' trading and markets traded.

G/L

sort of. anyone who has spent 5000 plus hours refining their method is hardly going to give a detailed explanation of it? one can talk in terms of principle ie trendline break etc but specifics? for a kindle? :cheesy:

we did have that big setup thread a while back that did all that?

sort of. anyone who has spent 5000 plus hours refining their method is hardly going to give a detailed explanation of it? one can talk in terms of principle ie trendline break etc but specifics? for a kindle? :cheesy:

we did have that big setup thread a while back that did all that?

Lol.