The Volatile IBEX - a simple trading strategy..

Swissy finally broke its channel this morning. Should be an extended move down now.

'Puppies' On dow right now for a down move.
IGNORE IGNORE !!!!

Last edited:
Phew at last! Next time I'll save as a GIF. :eek:

Here's an example of two pairs of puppies on the hourly bund. Stochs is on a different setting.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Bund puppies 190607 and 200607.GIF
    Bund puppies 190607 and 200607.GIF
    87.4 KB · Views: 242
dow comment: different chart.

Apologies:

When I called the 'puppies' and the Dow short just now. I was looking at a chart I do not normally use for the dow. IE cmc's I normally use IG for dow chart. 'Puppies' were not present on the Ig I normally use. This will make me question the wisdom of using cmc if the call proves wrong.

cmc on left in this post and IG on right.

What a bloody difference! Note also the prices on the right hand side. An opportunity perhaps?

Attachments

• different company charts.JPG
    different company charts.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 220
MMMM! Out of hours spread on cmc 4 points. Ig 6.

Plus big difference on price. sometimes by as much as 10. Arbing op poss.

Leson 1. Don't use or look at cmc outside of 'proper' market hours for trading. Price updating is jumpy so charts are not trustworthy. Whereas IG's have a more continuous price inflow so charts look smoother.

Dow price went opposite way to what cmc chart was saying earlier. But price was ahead of Ig's. So does cmc know something that Ig doesn't. If the answer is yes then there is a golden opportunity to trade the diff on IG.

Anyone with both companies as I am, please take a look and add input.

Now look at this.

Resistance line with both companies.

Attachments

• res point on dow.JPG
    res point on dow.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 233
Faris:

After this I take back what I said about trading times. I will now only trade 'puppies' amongst others during real market hours. First few on the europeans and then from around 1.30 along with the dow open for a few hours.

Firstly: where are you based? I have never heard of it.
Secondly: Your chart posts are coming up small and are difficult to see

Hi Options, Krung Thep is the local name for Bangkok. Is that groans of sympathy I can hear from you commiserating me on my hardship posting ? :devilish:

As for the charts, i had done exactly as you decsribed except i hadn't done anything about enlarging the image within Paint. i guessed the image would be on the small size but i wasn't trying to show detail anyway, just to give the rough sense of a chart unencumbered with candlesticks etc. but I'll be sure to try to make any future attachments larger :eek:

garry

Prices are now beginning to line up. But look at the cmc chart on the left and you can see a 'puppy' over 3 bars quite easily that does as it is expected to and falls. The Ig chart is a lot harder to spot the move. Ig seems to be slightly ahead of cmc in updating bars, but in as much as makes no difference.

All the settings on the charts are identical. With the exception on a line I was testing out on the cmc chart as an additional filter. Which I have now taken off.

Extra on the cmc chart is the ability to change from the bis to the ask, as shown in the 2nd chart. But I don't think this will make too much difference to anything.

O'all at the moment I think I prefer the Ig charts for clarity. There is more 'in' the bars. Although having said that, the 'puppy' move would have been harder to spot on the IG chart.

Attachments

• dow exmp 1.JPG
    dow exmp 1.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 221
  • dow example 2.JPG
    dow example 2.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 210
rathcoole_exile:

Hi Options, Krung Thep is the local name for Bangkok. Is that groans of sympathy I can hear from you commiserating me on my hardship posting ?

Well, I'm living in Tenerife at present. Somewhere also warm and cheap(ish), but looking to move to somewhere even warmer. Hadn't thought of somewhere like that.:idea: :idea: :idea:
You posting? Is that in relation to your job?

Re: The charts. Nothing is done in 'paint' to the sizing. just marking up and texts. The enlargement bit comes just from clicking inside the attachment once it opens up. Must be because of the source you are using or something like that.

we came back to live here a few months ago after the baby was born, had had enough of 8 years in the Middle East, and my wife (who is thai) never reallly settled there.
So back we came, and with the relatively low cost of living etc, i'm trying to make a go of it just trading without having to go out and find a "real" job.
So I go to school 4 hours-a-day 5 days-a-week for intensive thai language lessons, come home at 1pm, sleep a bit, play with the baby, then work on the US markets from 8.30pm til 3am.
At least the hours keep me out of the go-go bars. most of the time ...........:devilish:

the long hours on top of school were one of the reasons i'd been trying to extricate myself from my short term trading and go more on the dailys, trying to take some of the pressure off and give myself some breathing space.
but you're ruining my plans blast you ! you and your blooming puppies ;) I'm getting very tempted to get back into the 5 minute game looking at the success you're having.

continued best wishes, g

Learning Thai. F#ck me I'm having enough problems with Spanish!

Who do you trade through?

What a dilemma.

So who do I trade with?

Charts are nearly up to date with each other and prices are the same at a 4 spread.

The 'puppy' which was on the cmc chart and would have got you into the trade at the right time

So going by the 'puppy' alone. CMC has it.

Just a question of being in the right place at the right time then.

Attachments

• dow 3.JPG
    dow 3.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 209
  • dow3.JPG
    dow3.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 202
optionsXpress. I usually use an Option rather than buying/shorting the underlying itself.

i'm trying to get to the stage where, using much of the methodology discussed on this thread, i can be reasonably bullish (or at least neutral) about an equity, identify an entry point I'd be happy with if assigned, and write the naked put.
then relax and nip off to the go-gos while the missus is asleep :eek:

as a big fan of Benjamin Graham I take seriously his notes on Fundamentals etc, so a great deal of my time is spent in research, assessing balance sheets etc. I try to have a list, currently 16 strong, of stocks I'm attracted to.
Only then do I try to see if the Technicals match up. I figure you've got to know a little bit about what you trade, develop some instincts for prices, trends etc.
Same on the rare occasions I trade forex, i usually only look at Cable or Eurodollar. No point overstretching and trying to match the Kenyan Shilling with the Greenland Mackerel or whatever.

In recent weeks I got side-tracked into more day-trading with some fantastic success (rode the Up and creamed the Down of the Dendreon FDA fiasco) but as I say, i'm trying to get back to basics, keep it simple and enjoy life more :p

90 Point drop then and I missed it.

Why do I have to find these 'spanners' at the wrong time.

Mind you though I would normally only have had the Ig chart open for the dow, so I probably would have missed it in any case. It was very hard to spot on the IG one.

optionsXpress. I usually use an Option rather than buying/shorting the underlying itself.

i'm trying to get to the stage where, using much of the methodology discussed on this thread, i can be reasonably bullish (or at least neutral) about an equity, identify an entry point I'd be happy with if assigned, and write the naked put.
then relax and nip off to the go-gos while the missus is asleep :eek:

as a big fan of Benjamin Graham I take seriously his notes on Fundamentals etc, so a great deal of my time is spent in research, assessing balance sheets etc. I try to have a list, currently 16 strong, of stocks I'm attracted to.
Only then do I try to see if the Technicals match up. I figure you've got to know a little bit about what you trade, develop some instincts for prices, trends etc.
Same on the rare occasions I trade forex, i usually only look at Cable or Eurodollar. No point overstretching and trying to match the Kenyan Shilling with the Greenland Mackerel or whatever.

In recent weeks I got side-tracked into more day-trading with some fantastic success (rode the Up and creamed the Down of the Dendreon FDA fiasco) but as I say, i'm trying to get back to basics, keep it simple and enjoy life more :p

Well, this methodology works equally well in hourly or daily time frames. Just takes longer for something to appear.
I always start out with a look at the large frames and work in for this type of trading. I am a big fan of the longer frame though for fx.

Greenland Mackerel? I had a fantastic run on them last year. Great with chips!

options,

some of those (todays puppy divergences) were a tough call on the ig charts, i have found its best to check the exact levels, leaving the cursor over the points on the chart and checking the readings..

still working out if there is a way to quantify how good the move will be from the puppies though? all i can find out is that its mainly determined by the proximity to support or resistance and clearly the bigger time frames result in bigger moves:cheesy: