Best Thread The 3 Duck's Trading System

Congrats on new arrival Andy(CC) and Mrs C:clap:

Looks like that last trade didn't set up, had a peak and it shot off the other way. The benefit of waiting I suppose better to not trade, than have gone short and lost.
:D
p.s Thanks made a nice 40 pips on GBP/USD with 3Ducks on monday, just need to spend more time reviewing pairs to find good trades.

Good weekend all.:clover:

I´m not sure i´m following..., 40 pips?, i am sure anyone can do better than that...., the 3 ducks can support for a lot more than that.

I am sure it can. I was quite happy with 40 pips at the time. Still am come to think of it.

Still getting familiar with system and limited my potential to lose very quickly on this trade, it is all personal preference. A couple of hundred pips a week and I would be happy.

Good luck:clover:

Hello everybody,

I'm looking at Capt C's 3 Ducks system and it shows that the 3rd duck must break the "last high". Now, what I don't understand is what is considered the last high? Would that be the highest bar of the day? Please explain your interpretation of "last high" and how you incorporate that into your strategy. Thanks and I really look forward to your replies. :)

Hi rca420.
Its kind a complex because everyone will make its own interpretation fo that.
In my case the last high ow down can represent s/r levels so that would be my target to take profit when i enter into a position.
Anyway, the systems is simple and follow it as it is.
Each duck must show a price into a relative position to a 60 periods MA, lets say you are into an uptrend, 4 hr chart show the price above the line, move to 1 hr chart lets say again the price is aboce the line and when you get to the third duck 5 min chart the price is under the MA line, you will have to wait untill the price at that chart goes above the MA line to enter into a position, my s/r levels are the previous highs and bottoms in a sideways market and only if through price action i can identify a more agressive s/r level then i get it, otherwise i take the previous one.
See these things and try to make use of your skills at the most simple way you can, dont overcomplicate it because its already complex, take your time you will learn, these is a wonderful system that always work.

Thanks for your reply fayalac. I'd love to hear what the rest of you guys have to say. I'm a beginner and people's interpretation of a system I already comprehend opens up my understanding of why people do certain things. This is really interesting. Thakn you again!

Hi rca420.
Its kind a complex because everyone will make its own interpretation fo that.
In my case the last high ow down can represent s/r levels so that would be my target to take profit when i enter into a position.
Anyway, the systems is simple and follow it as it is.
Each duck must show a price into a relative position to a 60 periods MA, lets say you are into an uptrend, 4 hr chart show the price above the line, move to 1 hr chart lets say again the price is aboce the line and when you get to the third duck 5 min chart the price is under the MA line, you will have to wait untill the price at that chart goes above the MA line to enter into a position, my s/r levels are the previous highs and bottoms in a sideways market and only if through price action i can identify a more agressive s/r level then i get it, otherwise i take the previous one.
See these things and try to make use of your skills at the most simple way you can, dont overcomplicate it because its already complex, take your time you will learn, these is a wonderful system that always work.

Use at your own risk, but here is the 3ducks expert advisor I created. Notice the name - 3 Ducks GBPUSD m5, that is to remind you to put it on the minute 5 chart! Also, it only is created for EUR/USD or GBP/USD.

I have other experts that make better use of my margin so this one will rarely be turned on for me. Also, there isn't enough tick data to give it a great test, only 1 year or so.

Inputs:
Compounding=true/false - this will dynamically adjust your lots for compounding, i recommend to leave it off.

Max.Orders = 5 - if you have 5 orders open, this expert will not open another one. If you have less and a signal comes, all system go.

MovingPeriod=60 - the moving average
MovingShift=0 - no point in adjusting this, if you don't get it, leave it alone

A bunch of people asked me for this and I know it's not perfect, but this basic model is as far as I am taking it because I have other experts I want to use instead.

Trust me, it's going to knock the socks of FAPTurbo or SuperMegaDroid BS systems you have to pay $500 for...even if it loses someday. Good luck, feel free to modify and call it yours!

EDIT: ALSO, this will only open trades 2-5 times a month. Because it is an expert and brainless, it needs to wait for prime conditions before entering.

Criteria:
above/below 60 MA on 4hr, 1hr, 5mn
60 MA is angled up or down on Highest tf, won't trade if H4 moving average is flat (those are duds)
Trigger:
15mn bar close over the H4 moving average (meaning if you are already over the line when you turn on the expert NO TRADE. It only goes if it is on while the bar closes over the moving average)

Stoploss:
ATR value Hour 1

Target:
ATR value Hour 4

Attachments

• TesterGraph.gif
    TesterGraph.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 135
  • StrategyTester.htm
    76.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 3 Ducks GBPUSD M5.mq4
    2.3 KB · Views: 265
O.k., i just made a backtest without any change, it wasnt bad at all as you said, it seems to be good for a newbie...., for you my friend thanks a lot anyway.

O.k., i just made a backtest without any change, it wasnt bad at all as you said, it seems to be good for a newbie...., for you my friend thanks a lot anyway.

Sweet! Yeah but its hard to tell if we just see a good section or if this is comparable to how it will always perform. I will say this, it is backed up with a solid logical system so I'd expect profits over the long term.

Sweet! Yeah but its hard to tell if we just see a good section or if this is comparable to how it will always perform. I will say this, it is backed up with a solid logical system so I'd expect profits over the long term.

Firstly thanks for all your contributions and the EA, To know if it works - aside from your EA - just check the duration of this thread: Running since 2007.

The basic logic seems to me jumping on when price is returning to long term trend and picking up steam.

Comparable systems : Bill Williams Alligator combined with fractals, and over on FF Eaglets Flight Training (2 or 3 blocks method in Lrathis fabulous ebook -- incl. EAs) and many more.

Thanks and regards

Hittfeld

Use at your own risk, but here is the 3ducks expert advisor I created. Notice the name - 3 Ducks GBPUSD m5, that is to remind you to put it on the minute 5 chart! Also, it only is created for EUR/USD or GBP/USD.

I have other experts that make better use of my margin so this one will rarely be turned on for me. Also, there isn't enough tick data to give it a great test, only 1 year or so.

Inputs:
Compounding=true/false - this will dynamically adjust your lots for compounding, i recommend to leave it off.

Max.Orders = 5 - if you have 5 orders open, this expert will not open another one. If you have less and a signal comes, all system go.

MovingPeriod=60 - the moving average
MovingShift=0 - no point in adjusting this, if you don't get it, leave it alone

A bunch of people asked me for this and I know it's not perfect, but this basic model is as far as I am taking it because I have other experts I want to use instead.

Trust me, it's going to knock the socks of FAPTurbo or SuperMegaDroid BS systems you have to pay $500 for...even if it loses someday. Good luck, feel free to modify and call it yours!

EDIT: ALSO, this will only open trades 2-5 times a month. Because it is an expert and brainless, it needs to wait for prime conditions before entering.

Criteria:
above/below 60 MA on 4hr, 1hr, 5mn
60 MA is angled up or down on Highest tf, won't trade if H4 moving average is flat (those are duds)
Trigger:
15mn bar close over the H4 moving average (meaning if you are already over the line when you turn on the expert NO TRADE. It only goes if it is on while the bar closes over the moving average)

Stoploss:
ATR value Hour 1

Target:
ATR value Hour 4

Thanks for your efforts.

I would put it at other way, the program which was generously provided Hittfeld need some forward test and some changes as he warned.

I would put it at other way, the program which was generously provided Hittfeld need some forward test and some changes as he warned.

Right now, the only thing I would change is the lot size. Rule of thumb for me would be under 3k in account, use lot size 0.05 (sizing w/my broker may be different, FXDD)

Also keep in mind, this does not offer a million signals like a scalping strategy would, so don't expect millions, it's a turtle!

I have it combined with another EA so when the opportunity comes up, DUCKS gets first priority, then if there is margin left over my RSI system will use it.

When Not To Trade The 3 Ducks

Greetings all,

It's always good to remind traders

The 3 Duck’s Method is purely technical and I don’t take too much notice of fundamental news releases. Bernard Baruch once said “Show me the charts, and I'll tell you the news” I would agree with Bernard.
However some major news announcements can cause gaps in the market and your broker can not guarantee your price at which your stop loss is set. For this reason alone I do not trade any currency pair on the day when The Non Farm Payroll announcement is due out. The only other time I do not trade a particular currency pair is when an interest rate decision is due out of that country. Example, lets say there is an interest rate announcement from the bank of England on Wednesday. That means I'm not going to trade any currency pair with the GBP in it on Wednesday.
Details of all the upcoming interest rate decisions release dates can be found at: http://www.dailyfx.com/calendar/bank-calendar.html
The Non Farm Payroll announcement is due out the first Friday of every month at 1:30 pm GMT.

Best wishes,
Andy

Re: When Not To Trade The 3 Ducks

Greetings all,

It's always good to remind traders

The 3 Duck’s Method is purely technical and I don’t take too much notice of fundamental news releases. Bernard Baruch once said “Show me the charts, and I'll tell you the news” I would agree with Bernard.
However some major news announcements can cause gaps in the market and your broker can not guarantee your price at which your stop loss is set. For this reason alone I do not trade any currency pair on the day when The Non Farm Payroll announcement is due out. The only other time I do not trade a particular currency pair is when an interest rate decision is due out of that country. Example, lets say there is an interest rate announcement from the bank of England on Wednesday. That means I'm not going to trade any currency pair with the GBP in it on Wednesday.
Details of all the upcoming interest rate decisions release dates can be found at: http://www.dailyfx.com/calendar/bank-calendar.html
The Non Farm Payroll announcement is due out the first Friday of every month at 1:30 pm GMT.

Best wishes,
Andy

NFP day is not a day for trend systems. Good call. No one's stop loss is safe!

Supposing the 240min and 60min are in agreement is the only entry when the 5 min first crosses the 60SMA ( break of previous high / low, pull back after break , whatever) or can further trades be had taking trades on further breaks of high / lows. Obviously further trades are to be had but are the odds with the first break of the 60SMA on the 5 min?

Attachments

• TF-11.8.10.jpg
    TF-11.8.10.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 123
I am not sure that i understood your question, but as long as 1 and 4 hrs charts still pointing at the same direction you can keep trading as many times as the 5 min chart cross back in that sense.
S/R´s are only whre to take profit and these has nothing to do with pull backs.

The question is are the odds with the initial break through the 60SMA on the 5 min? As you can see from the attached image the initial cross on the TF was at 22:55 yesterday with no further movements back and through the 60SMA. So is the best strategy to take the initial break and stay with it on the 5 min until there is a break back through the MA or trade the breaks of lower lows / higher highs using fib extension for targets?