Guide T2W - Security and Virus Information

Thanks Oatman. I've binned AVG although, I must say, it always seems to have worked ok for me.

No infections when I ran the newly installed 'Avast'

LII

LevII said:
Thanks Oatman. I've binned AVG although, I must say, it always seems to have worked ok for me.

No infections when I ran the newly installed 'Avast'

LII

Yeah I'm still with AVG at the moment, I think the combination of it and ZoneAlarm probably means a lot of infections can't happen as dodgy attachments are stripped out by the firewall. Also using an email client which is not Outlook probably helps a lot too.

I've seen mixed reviews of AVG, I think some of the things found by other virus tools are more spyware than virus perhaps.

Stew

rossored said:
Afraid I dont know if its been resolved. I do know thay my old copy of ZA wouldnt update though - I had to remove it, and manually re-install the new version. I still think its the best, though.

It seems that this new version of ZA has solved that conflict with NAV. I'm sure Oatman is right that the previous ZA had an Anti-virus element. During this install you are asked if you are using AV and I guess this gets around any conflict.

I also run Adaware and have just updated to SE with no problems. It does seem to pick up more rubbish than the older version.

For all security conscious amongst us, Microsoft have just announced the imminent release of SP2.

Taken from CNET Downloads :

The world of Windows news watchers has been abuzz over the upcoming release of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Microsoft is making the release available to Microsoft Developer Network members today, August 10, and will push it out to Windows users via the Automatic Update feature on August 25.

Microsoft's mission with Service Pack 2 is to increase overall security in Windows XP and head off any more negative publicity caused by security exploits. Service Pack 2 will turn on XP's internal firewall by default. (I will be turning it right back off because I use ZoneAlarm for my firewall.) Both Outlook and Outlook Express will keep any e-mail attachments in a sandbox where they can't automatically interact with the system. This should prevent many worms and viruses.

The most visible changes will be in Internet Explorer, with the introduction of a pop-up blocker. I've been waiting for this feature for quite a while and can't wait to put it through its paces. Microsoft also is improving IE's add-on management, which should let you see and remove any spyware installed as a browser helper object. Many of these changes are long overdue, but very welcome nonetheless.

rossored said:
For all security conscious amongst us, Microsoft have just announced the imminent release of SP2.

Fred Langa on the Langalist pointed out that there is a new version of WindowsUpdate which I guess will be included in SP2. There are express and custom options for installing updates, but by default automatic updates are turned on. This behaviour is different from the behaviour of the current version.

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-07-15.htm#1

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=22104207

Stew

Well it seems quite useful so far. Web pages seem to load a bit quicker, boot up and boot down a little quicker - maybe 20% improved - hard to measure.

There's a good little walkthrough as whats recommended and whats not in terms of modifications and tweaks, so those of you who are really struggling with SP2 or maybe just plain old SP1 might find it worthwhile.

SP2 obviously has some issues : type in "SP2 Slow boot" on google and you get no end of results - surprise surprise.

Well, I've given this a decent going over and I'm quite impressed..no glitches at this point..booting up and down quicker and page loading appears appreciably speeded up so I'm keeping it.

Cheers

Yep, agreed.

Seems to be a very useful bit of tiny kit for no cost, and its certainly improved things here. WinXP users, take note!

Hi,
Being a true Scot, I wondered if anyone knew of any free ;) utility program similar to Tune up or Fix -It Utilities?