Guide T2W - Security and Virus Information

oatman

2,879 22
Rosso, here's another AV etc programme. It looks OK but I don't of anyone who's used it yet.
http://www.ewido.net/en/
Have a look. I think the other anti troj and spyware progs that we use probably take care of the extras it offers.

Trader7600

7 0
Internet security

There are various free spyware removers such as Ad-aware, however have found that Norton Internet Security 2004 (£18 on E-bay) makes your computer invisible on the web and as a result I have no attacks by Trojan viruses and no spy ware. The most important thing is to get software that keeps up to date, which Norton does everytime you log on.

Trader333

8,655 981
Does anyone know what khost.exe does in Windows XP ?

I keep getting a message saying that it is shutting down but dont have any other obvious adverse affects.

Paul

theknifemac

340 0
Trader333 said:
Does anyone know what khost.exe does in Windows XP ?

I keep getting a message saying that it is shutting down but dont have any other obvious adverse affects.

Paul

Paul

A quick google for it suggests its the Kontiki Secure Delivery Plug In for video / software and audio distribution and a suggestion that it is spyware on another site and found this reference to it

http://www.wheresjames.com/index.php?page=sa&fname=khost.exe&company=Kontiki Inc&show=1

Also worth looking at: http://www.computercops.biz/postp52185.html and

http://amazingtechs.com/index.php?showtopic=13643

which mentions an easy way to remove it in the second post from Bistro

Hope this helps

Stew

Trader333

8,655 981
Stew,

I appreciate your reply, I also did a Google search as well but you have got a bit more than I have so thanks for your help.

Paul

katcot

6 0
Have you tried Zone Alarm?

oatman

2,879 22
I had a few problems a long time ago with ZoneAlarm so I'm a bit biased. I did try it again but I like Sygate now. The latest ZoneAlarm version had some antivirus added which causes conflicts for some users. A majority of people still use ZA, but the previous version.
AVG is still popular as a free AV programme. I had the pro version which let some viruses in on this site, (or, maybe I should say, I let them in) :rolleyes:
As I said, I use AntiVir now and I'm happy so far. Regular updates, sometimes twice a day. I don't see a problem with Sygate either, once it's configured.

aarie5

99 2
thanks for the help guys.
i have tried zone alarm with win98 and it was great but i have since changed to xp and picked up a trojan shortly after installing it !:cry: i now have - avg,win patrol, sygate firewall and spybot.

oatman, i have tried security symantec and most ports are stealth two or three are blue but port21 and 80 are showing red and are opened. also trojan horse check reports - port 1025 unused windows service block opened ??? any ideas? can i configure sygate firewall? :confused:

thanks

rossored

2,103 56
If you look at the first post on this thread, under "Firewalls" you'll see I had identical results to you, but I think the testing on the symantec site is badly flawed - in other words, I think it generates results to encourage you to use their software. Oatman will disagree with me here though... :cool: wont you, J?

Personally, I use ZoneAlarm, AntiVir, AdAware, Spybot S&D and WinPatrol.

The Firewall is bulletproof, trust me. AntiVir is the best free AV software around imo, and AdAware & Spybot kick any spyware into touch. WinPatrol is there as a handy "is this supposed to be doing this?" kind-of reminder.

EDIT : Oh, by the way : I also run the standard Windows XP firewall behind ZoneAlarm : it doesnt cause any conflicts, and its also totally bulletproof for inbound connections, but useless for managing outbound traffic - hence ZoneAlarm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock