Guide T2W - Security and Virus Information

AVG to Cease Support for Free AntiVirus

Bad news if what I have heard is true. AVG intend to stop supporting their free Antivirus software at the end of this year. Personally I dont use it but I know many who do.

Paul

Hi, can anyone help?
My computer has been getting slower and slower and although I have McAfee I downloaded AVG, whom I have used in the past with good results, and sure enough it showed that I have various Trojan Horses - this being the message displayed on them.
Trojan Horse Downloader Alchemic.A
To remove this virus please run AVG for Windows

What do they mean run AVG for Windows (I have XP)? Also I read about them ceasing to support AVG and something about Beta but I have no idea what it all means.

Thanks

Katrina

Thanks for that link Calzini

Isn't it strange that the best Virus software is the one that no one as ever heard off!

Presumably you mean Kaspersky, rglenn?

I'm doing a course with the OU atm, and its actually the one they ship with their CDROM for you to install. Funnily enough, because I hadnt heard of it I just assumed it was junk, and never installed it - LOL. This machine I'm writing on (XP Pro SP2) has Norton Corporate on it, and my other one (XP Home SP1) has Avast! on it .

Initially I did think that Kaspersky was the best but after checking it seems that Eset(Nod32) beats them all hands down. Apparently Microsoft is so impressed that they have signed them up for another 2 years to protect their systems.

You can get a 30 day trial from their site.

It is not as user friendly like the others but if it does the job that's what counts.

Well, out of interest, I've downloaded NOD32 to my WinXP Home SP1 machine, and its scanning now. I'll let you know how things go.

rossored said:
Well, out of interest, I've downloaded NOD32 to my WinXP Home SP1 machine, and its scanning now. I'll let you know how things go.

Has that scan finished yet? :LOL:

LOL

Ooops, yes!

Within about 10 seconds of start it, it discovered a virus in the boot sector that Norton had missed. Hence I'm now using it f/time.

Its quite a friendly platform actually. Once installed, it can be set to check for updates hourly, daily, weekly - whatever. Runs in the background for active monitoring, uses very little resources (I dont even notice it running to be honest) and its quite straightforward. Given the number of emails I've had this week with the NOD32 attachment on the bottom, its become extremely popular since Mr.Gates and his band of loonies endorsed it.

Nonetheless, its highly recommended.

oatman said:
Strange things. I'm running AntiVir and just ran their built in scanner. It found and removed Troj/click.verzil.a.3
If it found it, how did it get in? Presumably I clicked it in :rolleyes:
I can't find any info on it so I don't know where it came from.

Turns out it was a false positive(after my dodgy German translation), fixed in VDF file 6.28.0.83 ;)

oatman said:
Rootkits:
Diamondcs sell Processguard which protects against this. I bought mine about 6 months ago but was waiting for a stable version. Looks like they have just about nearly done it, but I was waiting a couple more weeks just to see how stable it is. Well I won't wait any longer, I'm installing it tommorow, ver 3.050
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/
For bugs, etc:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Background: This company also sells TDS-3 which is one of the top ant-trojan scanners out there with updates everyday and support on the Wilders forum is always first class.

Last edited:
AVG Grisoft has updated from V6 to v7. This is easy to install, and just installs over the top of V6 for those who use this already. V7 looks like a far better product. I installed over v6 and it immediately found 4 Trojans that v6 had missed, and whereas V6 had difficulty removing some Trojans - the various Dumador ones for example, V7 removes them without hassle. All still free.

Last edited:
For the most secure networks, you want a firewall, antivirus software, and spyware killers. I'm sure you all have these. But there is a new concept in the world of security. This is behavioral security software. This software looks for behaviors in your system, which anomolies, and these are potential attacks thats are new and never detected. The only company I know of that offers this kind of software is Whole Security. :D :D :D