Swing and Position Trading

"More often than not a stock will retrace to a short term moving average and then continue another leg upwards."

thanks mate, will see if that works better next time , but anyway its not bad for a couple of days trade anyway. and others work ok too, just need those shorts to come my way, mind u its hot out there, so its gotta be time to wear shorts now.

cheers have a good weekend.

Is 'swing' easier than 'day'? Or does timeframe 'enlargement' not matter? RUDEBOY!

RUDEBOY said:
Is 'swing' easier than 'day'? Or does timeframe 'enlargement' not matter? RUDEBOY!

It's been suggested to me that overnight trading is dangerous because of wild swings after hours. I use SB rolling bets so that does not happen to me because I get closed out at EOD and opened again at the same price the next morning. The snag with that is that I may get caught in a gap opening, but I prefer that rather than have my stops closed out after hours by someone on Globex. I believe that a strong close could mean a good opening the next day in the same direction so it seems a pity not to take advantage of it.

I find RB very volatile and have had some very good trades off it. This week was an example of how things can go wrong, though. I bought at 1683 and yesterday it closed at 1660 after having been down to 1635 , if I remember correctly. I have been having some poor trades lately through having my stops too close, so decided to stick this out with a 50 point stop. The bloody thing was just about the only one to go down on Thursday but Friday saw a recovery and I am holding over the weekend. Earlier in the year RB gave me a 55 point profit in the first hour of trading. Intraday is unlikely to do that and intraday seems to rivet me to the computer which swing trading does not do.

Split

i am confused

RUDEBOY said:

i find it very difficult to draw a line between swing and day. can someone tell me what my style of trading is?

I like catching or fishing for big moves. i only hold stocks for more than a short term (not sure if this means swing) might be becos i am still waiting for that big move, provided that the stocks are still within my stop. so i can hold a stock bewteen miuntes to weeks.

for example,i have been holding my short posittions for a couple of days now, although they are going my direction but really slowly. If theres a sudden movement and my targets have been reached i will closed them. Hoever, the sudden movement could happen at anytime between minutes to weeks. so i am confused whether i am a daytrader or a "swinger". So i dont know whether day is better than swing or the other way round.

so can someone help to explain what am i?

Last edited:
How long is a piece of string

khi said:
How do u mean?

If you see a trade that could last days (maybe you are using daily charts) then trade it for days.
Conversely you could start with a 5 minute chart and work up through various time frames (price is trending) and thus what was a planned to be a short trade has turned into a long trade. You make the decisions as you go along rather than use a mechanistic approach that puts you into a pidgeonhole such as "scalper" or End of Day trader or Investor (weeks or longer).

Your emotional composure and peace of mind will indicate when you have found your effective time frame/trading style. Suck a few varieties of trades and note how you feel about each.

However, don't ignore your stops and turn a short term trade "hours" into a long term investment ;)

thanks neil

sorry mate, as my time frame varies depends on many factors, so am i a swinger, daytrader?

arrrh

well i suppose as long as i make more money than the amount i losei every tax year, i dont really care if i was anyone of them. guess i will call myelf a freestyler then. sounds good to me.

cheers

I hope you are right.
I have had a long on RBS since this time last year and am just breaking even after dividends and interest on the CFD.
Personally, I did it just to prove the system of using CFDs as a medium term investment medium.
Having regretted getting out of RTR and XTA far too early, picking RBS was a far less profitable venture.
However it should go OK. The problem is knowing when to sell.

Has anyone got a FT100 short to balance out the effect of general market volatility????

khi said:
i have just entered a long in rbs, anyone any thoughts?

Looks reasonable. My last two trades with RBS were short - the last one was a loser :cry: ) and subsequent action changed my version of trend to up (subject to confirmation) and I almost had an entry signalled, but not quite so I'm on the sidelines atm.

Moving ok for you so far - around 1700 +- 10 may prove a bit of a hurdle?

good trading

jon

Attachments

• rbs.gif
    rbs.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 315
thanks aspex and barjon

yep hope it will do well, but i am confident as its another chart fomation, my stop is around 1640. i am still in itv. apart from opening a new long in rbs i have also openned new long in lgen and gus (sudden got hectic could not post in time). i have closed out my rtr and mrw short (got got stop out) lost a couple of pennies on each. but still shorting bznl (going the right way).

good luck to us all

rbs trading above 1700, nice one aspex and barjon. i have just entered a long in ulvr any view guys?

by the way i have just seen a 500k shares went thru my screen in rbs at 1700.73

hey call me a kamakazi, i am back in blt. stop at 685. and will get back in miners if more confimations shown.

khi said:
rbs trading above 1700, nice one aspex and barjon. i have just entered a long in ulvr any view guys?

khi

you probably timed it better than me (ulvr) - I went in yesterday and just back to the price now.

short azn this morning

good trading

jon