Swing and Position Trading

Hi REX thanks for getting my old thread up and running again. I also know a good source on CFD information: me! I use CFDs to trade so any questions on them I will try to answer for you. It seems that this thread is somehow correlated to the rise and fall of the FTSE100. When the stock market turns bullish threads like this pop up and see some action. Then, when the markets take a tumble and retrace this thread goes quiet until the market returns to a bullish phase. Personally im still very cautious on the upside. So what longs should I be looking to trade during the choppy periods? What I found that has worked for me this time round has been the more secure and less sexy industries. SPW was a trade from 420 to 480. Also NGT from 515 to 550. These more defensive sectors have been seeing action when the market has been moving lower. As people switch from capital appreciation to income. The need for electricity is certainly not gonna run out anytime soon, and although these reasons may seem like a fundamental viewpoint I'm very much a technical trader. I'll post a chart of my view point when i come across something of interest. thanks for your time guys

Last edited:
techst@
BTW I will be near Southend during July on my annual trip to UK.
Hope the weather is improving.

hi

techst@ said:
Hi REX thanks for getting my old thread up and running again. I also know a good source on CFD information: me! I use CFDs to trade so any questions on them I will try to answer for you. It seems that this thread is somehow correlated to the rise and fall of the FTSE100. When the stock market turns bullish threads like this pop up and see some action. Then, when the markets take a tumble and retrace this thread goes quite until the market returns to a bullish phase. Personally im still very cautious on the upside. So what longs should I be looking to trade during the choppy periods? What I found that has worked for me this time round has been the more secure and less sexy industries. SPW was a trade from 420 to 480. Also NGT from 515 to 550. These more defensive sectors have been seeing action when the market has been moving lower. As people switch from capital appreciation to income. The need for electricity is certainly not gonna run out anytime soon, and although these reasons may seem like a fundamental viewpoint I'm very much a technical trader. I'll post a chart of my view point when i come across something of interest. thanks for your time guys

hi all

market seems bullish not sure if u noticed similar time last year a lot of stocks went up during this time until the first of july, when most ftse stocks tumbled. i am at the moment heavy in mining stocks, such as blt, anto, and rio, got them in two defferent trenches from last week and bought some more yesterday. reason being they seem to be having a nice chart formation with decent momentum. I am long in them by the way, any thoughts?

cheers

kim

Last edited:
yeah nice one techst. yeah the whole sector been consolidating for a couple of weeks, and many of those are trading above where 14 and 50 sma just crossed and also slow stocastics is retracing. i am also in ici, wpp and avz too. my stop on rio i around 1635. how about u techst?

Last edited:
Rio

RIO caught my eye a few weeks back. When I saw the divergence on all indicators i thought that the odds would be tilted in my favor. My stops placed just below the black line, which is a recent higher low. If it goes lower than this then i would believe that the short term trend will be down from a Dow Theory point of view.

Attachments

• riochart.JPG
    riochart.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 430
techst@ said:
RIO caught my eye a few weeks back. When I saw the divergence on all indicators i thought that the odds would be tilted in my favor. My stops placed just below the black line, which is a recent higher low. If it goes lower than this then i would believe that the short term trend will be down from a Dow Theory point of view.

thats around my stop too then. cool, glad to see someone trades on similar partern as i do. what else are u in? i had to cut my short in sge earlier at 221 got in last nite at 218. nevermind seemed good at the time.

Isys

Good stuff, i dont discuss all my open positions. As there are some psychological down falls to doing that. The more you discuss your open positions the more your ego and judgement get attached to them. Then if a stock begins to head in the opposite direction to what you expect, they become harder manage because your pride may begin to cloud your thoughts.

ISYS is an interesting one for those brave and skillful enough to trade countertrend. When I look at this chart i can almost feel the pressure building in this one. I'd trap myself in this one above the line. But im fully invested so i'd thought i'd share it with you guys.

Attachments

• isys.JPG
    isys.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 388
techst@ said:

techst@ - I share that opinion with you - I did actually place a quick short (see chart) as the wedge was forming (once it bounced off the red line).

I'm hoping to enter long once the price finds support above the red line.

(My current position is short (yesterday) on AAL - hopeful retracement).

Attachments

• rio long entry.gif
    rio long entry.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 369
thanks techst, u are right, ego is evil. but re isys, I think its a good for scalping when volumn is good by using DMA platform leaving orders on both bid and offer, but not sure if its the one for me yet. good luck anyway.

hi rex79

aal does seem to have a strong resistance at around 1360, hope the short will work out for u. just out of interest, where is ur stop?

hey wheres everybody? anyway i have openned a new long position in itv at 115.25 on the back that its trading back above its 14 days moving average. has anyone got any opinion or view on this? yes i have a tight stop.

well it looks like i am the only one here now, anyway thought some of u might like to watch my BS. i have just entered a few short positions, rtr, mrw and bnzl. any comments please someone out there. o i have closed rio by the way.

Hey khi. I just wondered what time frame your working on? I'm still in RIO and will be for a while longer. I try to run those profits! This is really the first day of the upward move so i wont be closing it just yet.

hi techst

Yeah nice one mate, ur right that i should run my profits, i closed it becos the 14 days crossed below the 50 days on the 6-june at around 1638. but i will defo buy them back if, well "if" theres a retracement today or the next couple of days. so my time frame is based on these two moving averages.

i am also out of blt and ici for the time being too, but still in anto.

do u mind letting me know how do u find ur exit point?

Yeah, don't get too drawn in to the daily movements. I like to use a short term moving average like a 13-15 EMA. When it hooks down i sell. More often than not a stock will retrace to a short term moving average and then continue another leg upwards. Where as candles can make you exit too early. Take the emotion out by using a moving average and divergernce signals on indicators.