Spread Betting Big Stakes

this conversation has gone way off topic,

Your initial question refers to something completely different to where this discussion is leading.

what do you want to know? if it is worth the cost of higher spreads through a particular SB company to compensate for the tax if you were to trade elsewhere?

then the answer is in the maths, you know what all the variables are so calculate them.....

then make your choice if it is of financial benefit to you to take that route, for some it isn't. do what you feel is right and and if it doesn't work out, then at least you have learnt something along the way. thats what trading is all about.

all the best.

this conversation has gone way off topic,
Ditto.

what do you want to know? if it is worth the cost of higher spreads through a particular SB company to compensate for the tax if you were to trade elsewhere?
Yes, that is part of it. As you said it does seem to be straightforward math, I can carry out my own calculations in regards to this issue.

Happy trading. (y)

Say scalping single waves of 50-100 ticks? Holding generally 15 mins to 3-4 hours depending on how fast things are moving.

Scalping 50 - 100 ticks!! It isn't always as mad as last week!

If your trying to decide wether to spread bet or use direct access (talking costs here only) you have to analyze the way you trade and calculate wether for you the costs of Direct Access and the tax would be more than what you would give up in spread/commissions by spread betting. The vast majority of full time pros would be better off with direct access but if your style involves a small number of trades that you take big moves from it could be worth spread betting instead.

Although you may find that this sort of style would requires large enough position sizes that the SB company would then make their spreads unfeasibly wide for you!

If your holding positions for 15 mins to 3hrs and with enough size that you could trade futures instead then I really don't expect you should be spreadbetting.