Any big spread betting broker comparisons?

Frenzic

I can't find any big comparisons of all the biggest spread betting brokers. I was thinking of a SB broker review that had spread sizes as main criteria. I have found one http://www.cleanfinancial.com. but it only has a few brokers. Has anyone seen a large comparison like that?

IG Index
Saxospreads
Cmc
Capital Spreads
Shortsandlongs
GFT
ODL
Interactive Investor
Financial Spreads
City Index

*bump*

not sure, but i currently use IGIndex, but it would be nice for a large comparison of the SB brokers.

It looks like Financial Spreads, Shortsandlongs and GFT are on the comparison on CleanFinancial.

However I was chatting with a man ‘in the know’ and he said that City Index (and therefore finspreads too) didn’t want to be in the comparison.

I do understand it. All these bookie comparisons, credit card comparisons, car insurance comparisons etc are reducing profit margins.

If you’ve got ‘nice’ wide spreads, why compare?

Having said that, ODL spreads aren’t too bad. I’d expect them to be on there.

It looks like Financial Spreads, Shortsandlongs and GFT are on the comparison on CleanFinancial.

However I was chatting with a man ‘in the know’ and he said that City Index (and therefore finspreads too) didn’t want to be in the comparison.

I do understand it. All these bookie comparisons, credit card comparisons, car insurance comparisons etc are reducing profit margins.

If you’ve got ‘nice’ wide spreads, why compare?

Having said that, ODL spreads aren’t too bad. I’d expect them to be on there.

True,

Cityindex has on Dax 2 point spread while GFT, Shortandlong + Financialspread has 1 same with FTSE 1000.

I think CityIndex need to reduce their spreads a bit to be competitive. I like their platform but the spreads for the most part don't compete

Most of the spread betting companies now have low 1pt spreads on all the main markets. Spread only really vary on unusal markets or out-of-hours trading. You can try something like http://spreadcompare.co.uk they seem to have most the Spread and CFD companies compared.

Good effort, but unfortunately, none of them give exactly a complete list. The last one is quite good, but it doesn't include SLM for example (and SLM have been going since around May 2009 I think, if not longer).

spreads at all SB companies are so similar now that there's little difference so you're best off opening with a few of them and deciding which platform you prefer and which ones has the best tools/charts etc

Good effort, but unfortunately, none of them give exactly a complete list. The last one is quite good, but it doesn't include SLM for example (and SLM have been going since around May 2009 I think, if not longer).

First of all I don't think it's practical or useful to post all the spread betting companies as just London Capital Group white labels will takre the whole page to list them. What's the point of listing all the white lables.
Besides, not all the brokers are happy when they are listed and have a review about them.

First of all I don't think it's practical or useful to post all the spread betting companies as just London Capital Group white labels will takre the whole page to list them. What's the point of listing all the white lables.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. Personally, I've always wanted to see a complete list of all spread-betting companies in one place, and have yet to find one.

As for the LCG white labels taking the whole page, I don't think this is true. From the research I have done, there are not all that many actually. And they are not all identical. They may use the same "trading engine", provided for them by LCG, but (as Simon Denham has stated here in the past), they are, for example, free to set their own spreads. I don't think any of them do, but that's not the point. In fact, Tradefair had lower overnight financing than CS, for example, until about April 2010, and that was an individual decision that they took.

The following two are SB operations directly owned by LCG
Capital Spreads
Prospreads

These are the white label partners that I know about:
TD Waterhouse,
PaddyPower,
Saxo Bank
Tradefair. plus
[Partygaming - see below]

In this article:
http://www.financial-spread-betting.com/London-Capital-Group.html
I found the following:
Partnerships

'In addition to PartyGaming which was signed in January 2010, we have launched a further four new white labels.
....but it doesn't say what those are. Assuming this is in addition to the 5 mentioned above, that would make 9. OK, perhaps more than I thought, but not too many to list, surely. (and can anyone name them?).

Besides, not all the brokers are happy when they are listed and have a review about them.

:LOL: Wel, too bad if they are not happy! This site isn't (yet) controlled by brokers (although some may disagree).

BTW, although the annual report of LCG for 2010 has not been published yet (due soon), this is an interesting early report of early year results:

http://www.spread-betting.me/capital-spreads-spread-betting-00461.html

This also is interesting:
http://www.financial-spread-betting.com/Companies-make-money.html

Anyone compared the Spread Betting brokers mobile trading applications yet? I've tried City, CS and IG. CS is the one I prefer for clarity and speed which I think has to be the main criteria, what do you think?

Anyone compared the Spread Betting brokers mobile trading applications yet? I've tried City, CS and IG. CS is the one I prefer for clarity and speed which I think has to be the main criteria, what do you think?

I tried capital spread and IG... even though I use capital spreads I find their iPhone app to be very slow... but hey, it's their first addition.

Page London-Capital-Group.html is incomplete and out of date.
I have done a quick research today and came up with 50 spread betting companies and 15 white labels for LCG. There're plenty of white labels for world spreads as well.
Besides that, it's just a matter of time before more bookies will introduce spread betting, such as William Hill and ToteSport.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. Personally, I've always wanted to see a complete list of all spread-betting companies in one place, and have yet to find one.

As for the LCG white labels taking the whole page, I don't think this is true. From the research I have done, there are not all that many actually. And they are not all identical. They may use the same "trading engine", provided for them by LCG, but (as Simon Denham has stated here in the past), they are, for example, free to set their own spreads. I don't think any of them do, but that's not the point. In fact, Tradefair had lower overnight financing than CS, for example, until about April 2010, and that was an individual decision that they took.

The following two are SB operations directly owned by LCG
Capital Spreads
Prospreads

These are the white label partners that I know about:
TD Waterhouse,
PaddyPower,
Saxo Bank
Tradefair. plus
[Partygaming - see below]

Page London-Capital-Group.html is incomplete and out of date.
I have done a quick research today and came up with 50 spread betting companies and 15 white labels for LCG.

I think that I've conceded that there may be more than I originally thought, but I am surprised that it is 15. Just to satisfy my curiosity, why don't you list them? (Just the LCG ones please).

EDIT: I've just had a thought. Are you sure those white label partners were all offering spread-betting?

I have a feeling that LCG offers such partners for other activities as well.

EDIT2: Someone has kindly sent me the following link.

I am not sure that they are all spread-betting related, but some are familiar, of course.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/firmNamesCurr.do?sid=61868

Last edited:
Great find, montmorencyt2w.
This list is even bigger than mine as I did my list manually.

Company White Label
PaddyPowerTrader LCG
Capital Spreads LCG
Financial Spreads LCG
ProSpreads LCG
TradeFair LCG
TD Waterhouse LCG
InterTrader LCG
t1pspreadbetting LCG
Dealing Desk LCG
Just Spreads LCG
Finansbet LCG
Saxo Bank LCG
Prima Spreads LCG
Pelican Spreads LCG
Spread Link LCG

I'm doing a research on all the spread betting companies and their white labels so I guess I have to do a bit more research.

You should also notice that there are plenty of websites in yahoo index that redirect to capitalspreads. Yahoo index is horrible.

I think that I've conceded that there may be more than I originally thought, but I am surprised that it is 15. Just to satisfy my curiosity, why don't you list them? (Just the LCG ones please).

EDIT: I've just had a thought. Are you sure those white label partners were all offering spread-betting?

I have a feeling that LCG offers such partners for other activities as well.

EDIT2: Someone has kindly sent me the following link.

I am not sure that they are all spread-betting related, but some are familiar, of course.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/firmNamesCurr.do?sid=61868

Can someone please confirm how much "dividend" was added/removed per position on FTSE 100 rolling daily today on IGindex/Capitalspreads? (say for 1 GBP per point long/short)

If you're trying to compare the dividend payouts between IG and Capital Spreads, just remember that the timing of those payments might differ, which is why it can appear you have differences, even when you don't.
For example for IG, DFBs will be made "at the close of the underlying cash market". Whereas for Capital Spreads, they make "a dividend adjustment to clients' accounts the day on which or before the index constituents’ trade ex-dividend".

If you're comparing spread betting companies, I'd strongly recommended visiting Spread Betting Company comparison, as they've got info on what features are useful to compare, as well as the actual comparisons