The best spread betting platform I recommend

jimmea

Having read some threads, I think I have to voice my unbiased view on the best spread betting platforms. I wish I could recommend more, but unfortunately there is only one that is worth my full recommendation at the moment: IG Index

Some guys may jump out and rant against this recommendation with all sorts of reasons.
But listen first:
I tried and tested most spread betting platforms and companies and brokers about 2 years ago. Each one had its own problems. But If I gave IG Index 5 star for overall performance (software, spreads, speed, stability, usability, customer service, tools, research, etc.), the others had only 2 stars at best.

Now there are a lot more spread betting brokers but most of them are just a trading brand of the few REAL spread betting companies. I still regularly test those platforms, and to my disappointment, the best of them can only achieve 3.5 stars. Still way behind IG Index.

You can always pick up something you don't like personally about IG Index, but you will find more to complain with other platforms. Criticizing IG Index without comparison with others is, IMHO, biased.

Having read some threads, I think I have to voice my unbiased view on the best spread betting platforms. I wish I could recommend more, but unfortunately there is only one that is worth my full recommendation at the moment: IG Index

Some guys may jump out and rant against this recommendation with all sorts of reasons.
But listen first:
I tried and tested most spread betting platforms and companies and brokers about 2 years ago. Each one had its own problems. But If I gave IG Index 5 star for overall performance (software, spreads, speed, stability, usability, customer service, tools, research, etc.), the others had only 2 stars at best.

Now there are a lot more spread betting brokers but most of them are just a trading brand of the few REAL spread betting companies. I still regularly test those platforms, and to my disappointment, the best of them can only achieve 3.5 stars. Still way behind IG Index.

You can always pick up something you don't like personally about IG Index, but you will find more to complain with other platforms. Criticizing IG Index without comparison with others is, IMHO, biased.
So why aren't everybody trading with IG, one might ask? To understand this, make a list of reasons why you think some traders prefer some other SB in front of IG.

That is a good question as I too recommend IG Index. What I want to know is how I can get a dodgy link like the OPer. ;)

But listen first:

Would you say the same for IG Markets - The CFD arm of IG?

So why aren't everybody trading with IG, one might ask? To understand this, make a list of reasons why you think some traders prefer some other SB in front of IG.
There may be lots of reasons.
Not everyone likes to compare, test, investigate...........
One might prefer a perticular feature of a SB.
etc., etc.

I also occasionally use other SB for some reason. It's good to have competition but I'm disappointed that IG Index's competitors haven't progressed much.

Isn't it lucky you're redirecting us to the best spread betting platform, for when I click on the link in your signature and you get paid by IGINDEX when I sign up and trade with them!

WIN WIN WIN!

But listen first:

Jeez what d'ya get for that click through to IG,ten pence? You sad fooking pov.(n)

Isn't it lucky you're redirecting us to the best spread betting platform, for when I click on the link in your signature and you get paid by IGINDEX when I sign up and trade with them!

WIN WIN WIN!
Like you said, it's WIN WIN :cheesy:

Like you said, it's WIN WIN :cheesy:

impartial and unbias information, how kind of you!!

the lengths some people go to

just focus on improving your trading results my friend and eventually you will be so successful you won't have to do these desperate things for a bit of cash.

I wish you success

Hey aren't spreadbetting firms a fancy name for bookies? I rang up a couple of them a while back and all I get are young kids answering the phone disconcertingly if they don't sound rude then the sound dodgy.

Hey aren't spreadbetting firms a fancy name for bookies? I rang up a couple of them a while back and all I get are young kids answering the phone disconcertingly if they don't sound rude then the sound dodgy.

Yes, they are similar to bookies. The people you ring are just dealers who place the bet into the Firm's book (more than one for different products) not the real market - they are often grads who move into sales, trading or management later on. These books are run by a trader team who then hedge the order in the real market based on the net position or exposure.

The traders who do this get big bonuses for the profits they turn, so they will often have views of the market themselves and choose not to hedge perfectly (retaining some delta) for a chance of a greater profit over the usual spread profit. This, kind of, makes them similar to bookies as they have the option to trade against your position.

Yes, they are similar to bookies. The people you ring are just dealers who place the bet into the Firm's book (more than one for different products) not the real market - they are often grads who move into sales, trading or management later on. These books are run by a trader team who then hedge the order in the real market based on the net position or exposure.

The traders who do this get big bonuses for the profits they turn, so they will often have views of the market themselves and choose not to hedge perfectly (retaining some delta) for a chance of a greater profit over the usual spread profit. This, kind of, makes them similar to bookies as they have the option to trade against your position.
So you think a company like Capitalspreads really have the time to view every order manually, and based on the traders skill, hedge the position and trade against him? The SB industry is moving towards tighter spread and faster execution, in most cases the orders is automatically handled by the system they have implemented.

There may be lots of reasons.
Not everyone likes to compare, test, investigate...........
One might prefer a perticular feature of a SB.
etc., etc.

I also occasionally use other SB for some reason. It's good to have competition but I'm disappointed that IG Index's competitors haven't progressed much.
Really, I have surely done my homework. There are plenty of good SB around, and I think most experience traders have several SB they trade with, depending on the specific parameters for the trade. I still believe you have to make that list.:)

So you think a company like Capitalspreads really have the time to view every order manually, and based on the traders skill, hedge the position and trade against him?

What I wrote is not my opinion, it is how they operate.

They don't view every order manually - they have a net position they try to balance. You tell me how a 50p/p FTSE bet can be hedged automatically in futures market - it can't.

The only exception that I know of at the moment is futuresbetting who place the bet in the futures market immediately. You trade the real market price and they add their spread onto each side of the trade. However, their min FTSE is £10 p/p because that is the minimum position that can be hedged.

The SB industry is moving towards tighter spread and faster execution, in most cases the orders is automatically handled by the system they have implemented.

Some offer tighter FTSE spreads, like 1 point, but rarely tighten up on anything else. There is no evidence to suggest execution speed has changed - you get a quote and, if you accept it, they either take your bet or it is refused. I started to spread bet in 2005 and have not noticed any difference in the industry aside from a few more firms opening up.

Regarding automatic execution, most spread betting clients 'gamble' at the low levels £1-2 p/p. On products like the indices, this size is too small to be placed in the market. Therefore, hedging is done by traders who look after the aggregate position of the firm.

What I wrote is not my opinion, it is how they operate.

They don't view every order manually - they have a net position they try to balance. You tell me how a 50p/p FTSE bet can be hedged automatically in futures market - it can't.

The only exception that I know of at the moment is futuresbetting who place the bet in the futures market immediately. You trade the real market price and they add their spread onto each side of the trade. However, their min FTSE is £10 p/p because that is the minimum position that can be hedged.

Some offer tighter FTSE spreads, like 1 point, but rarely tighten up on anything else. There is no evidence to suggest execution speed has changed - you get a quote and, if you accept it, they either take your bet or it is refused. I started to spread bet in 2005 and have not noticed any difference in the industry aside from a few more firms opening up.

Regarding automatic execution, most spread betting clients 'gamble' at the low levels £1-2 p/p. On products like the indices, this size is too small to be placed in the market. Therefore, hedging is done by traders who look after the aggregate position of the firm.
Well, this is not the impression I got from reading your post, maybe I did misread it. Of course I understand, that they don't have to hedge if there is a balance in the book. They will definitely hedge if the net positions is not balanced out. Otherwise, I believe they have a very strict risk management policy, and will not let dealers play around too much. About the spread, speed and execution, I don't agree with you. The price feed is definitely faster today (with no delay) as the technical implementation of the platform is improved, both in software and hardware solutions.

Does anybody know why some SB firms trade under different names. Is it because they have ratcheted up lots of bad will amongst punters that they are losing customers so they try to make a comeback under a new name? I find it suspicious.
Some even offer 100s of pounds of cash to open an account with them. They obviously believe you are going to lose it.
Or am I just being cynical?

Does anybody know why some SB firms trade under different names. Is it because they have ratcheted up lots of bad will amongst punters that they are losing customers so they try to make a comeback under a new name? I find it suspicious.
Some even offer 100s of pounds of cash to open an account with them. They obviously believe you are going to lose it.
Or am I just being cynical?
There is nothing suspicious about it. The reason why some SB have different names is that the owner is out licensing the platform, and in most cases the domain name to another company. This company is in turn marketing the SB operation and get provision on the profit generated by the platform. This is called a "white label" operation. Today it is quite costly to obtain new clients due to increased competition. Yes, they can offer this because, they know that most of the SB clients in the end lose the money.

There is nothing suspicious about it. The reason why some SB have different names is that the owner is out licensing the platform, and in most cases the domain name to another company. This company is in turn marketing the SB operation and get provision on the profit generated by the platform. This is called a "white label" operation. Today it is quite costly to obtain new clients due to increased competition. Yes, they can offer this because, they know that most of the SB clients in the end lose the money.

Not sure if I understood it.

What you are saying is, company A licenses the platform from company X then company A spawns companies A1, A2, A3 using the platform licensed from company X and company X gets royalties from A and it's spawned companies?