Sierra Charts and IB

blade

I have just started using IB and sierra charts 2day, but i have noticed a few "trades" with volumes of plus 4million in both ES and EUR... anyone else getting these? or have I done something wrong?

I don't use the volume via IB. In fact I don't use volume at all!

I do know the API has been modified recently how it handles volume.

JonnYT

Another question on TICK and TRIN symbols

The symbols for tick and trin are TICK-NYSE and TRIN-NYSE in TWS but i can;t get these as charts in Sierra, anyone know what symbol i need to use?

TICK-NYSE-I-NYSE
TRIN-NYSE-I-NYSE

also for Nasdaq

TICK-NASD-I-NASDAQ
TRIN-NASD-I-NASDAQ

KenN

I posted on their forum about these spikes, but nothing seems to have been done about it. Let them know.

I have posted on their board, lets see what happens, its a bit of a pain, and the only negative thing about this software.

They had problems after version 48 was released. I hadn't seen the spikes before this.

Thanks Ken

I'll give that a try later, looks like i almost had it just missing one NYSE!

While i am here i may as well ask, is anyone using Sierra with mytrack, if so how do you find it?

I am looking at this as i like Sierra but using the IB data with no history is a pain, i want to be able to open up Sierra and be ready to go with history and realtime without any messing around leaving the machine running etc.

I did look at SC magic but they only cover a very limited range of symbols.

PS Was considering the Silver package with the appropriate Exchange fee's added and would still keep the IB data subs so i can see prices in TWS to compare before placing orders and if mytrack was down it would be better than nothing.

Sierra+Mytrack

awoodj said:
While i am here i may as well ask, is anyone using Sierra with mytrack, if so how do you find it?

I am looking at this as i like Sierra but using the IB data with no history is a pain, i want to be able to open up Sierra and be ready to go with history and realtime without any messing around leaving the machine running etc.

I did look at SC magic but they only cover a very limited range of symbols.

PS Was considering the Silver package with the appropriate Exchange fee's added and would still keep the IB data subs so i can see prices in TWS to compare before placing orders and if mytrack was down it would be better than nothing.
Hi there,
I use sierra with mytrack have done so now for 15 months using the silver package never had a problem so would recommend it to anyone.

regards PeterB

Hi Peter

Can you tell me do i also need to pay a $25 PM API fee to use with Sierra as well as the $19.95 data subscription? Seems like it might be from the web sites but i am not certain from reading them.

PS How many symbols do you get realtime with the Silver package?

Thanks

Al

Sierra

awoodj said:
Hi Peter

Can you tell me do i also need to pay a $25 PM API fee to use with Sierra as well as the $19.95 data subscription? Seems like it might be from the web sites but i am not certain from reading them.

PS How many symbols do you get realtime with the Silver package?

Thanks

Al

I think of the top of my head I pay $40 every 6 months for Sierra

Cost of Mytrack

Hi Peter

The extra $25PM API fee on top of the $19.95 is to Mytrack but it sounds like you are probably not having to pay it so i think i will give it a try and see what happens. At $19.95 per month it is not a big risk to find out.

Al

I hear mytrack's data isnt always that good, how does it do for US futures?

Al,

I'm afraid you do have to pay the $25 pm API fee as well as the Silver fee of $19.95 to use Sierra with MyTrack (all plus VAT too remember). Sierra just won't connect to MyTrack without the API fee. You can however get the $19.95 Silver fee waived, plus UK/US exchanges fees, if you open an account with MyBroker in the UK and make at least one trade per calendar month. We discussed this recently here:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9826&page=2&pp=10

With the Silver package you are limited to 20 symbols inside the MyTrack application, but within Sierra the limit is 500 (or possibly more apparently).

If you're only interested in index/currency futures, and one or two other bits and bobs like QQQ/SPY/DIA etc, you could use SCMagic to get intraday backfill with Sierra/IB instead of Sierra/MyTrack. This costs 10 Eur pm and it works OK, but to be honest is a bit fiddly. I'm using this right now having used MyTrack with Sierra in the past.

If you read the rest of that thread I gave the link to above, you'll see I mentioned comparing MyTrack's AIQ package with MyTrack/Sierra. I have to say I'm seriously considering going back to AIQ later in the year, when they release the upcoming version which will finally have unlimited intraday history and intraday backtesting. It's just so much easier than messing around with all these different apps, datafeeds, conversion utilities, Yahoo/MSN/Eoddata, hassles with TWS connections yada yada that I've ended up with in trying to set up the environment I want at lower cost.

KenN

So much messing about

Hi Ken

Yes thats the problem i have with all these solutions they are too much hassle. You start to wonder that $99 a month for Tradestation with data and software included might be worth it. Or there is always Esignal but to get what you want again is pretty expensive.

However when even the cheap and chearful comes in at around $45 PM unless you want the real hassle of no backfill it starts to look like it might be worth it after all.

I had also looked at the DTN.IQ or IQFEED but struggling to find decent realtime software to go along with it.

Al

Slow Charts

I have been looking at a few realtime charting platforms in recent months. I am currently trialling Tradestation 8.1 - and have just had a weeks free trial of Sierra with IB.

As I only intend to trade the ES, the IB/Sierra/SCMagic combination appeals on cost. However, when running Sierra/IB next to Tradestation it was very apparent that SC was lagging the TS chart, and also missing out detail altogether on fast moves. The TS chart prices appeared to match the TWS price movement almost exactly (as you would expect) - so the problem seems to be with SC.

The volume bars emerging on SC were also different to those from TS - although the general profile of the bars was fairly similar. I set my PC clock to the internet time server so the IB feed should have been timestamped correctly.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

If the Sierrachart price movement is not matching the TWS price movement you have something extremely weird going on. Try asking the tech support at the Seirrachart board for an opinion. You may want to give them the versions of TWS, Sierrachart and Java involved.