Should the Scotland vote worry anyone ?

I am not sure what London is offering Scotland, if they say no, but I suspect that it is, probably, too much.

I have swung from a "No" opinion to I hope that Scotland votes "yes". England will get along without Scotland in the same way that Scotland will without England.

Now that these promises are on the table---well, we know all about politicians' promises, don't we?

It strikes me as stupid, that politicians are offering more powers to the Scotch Parliament if they vote NO.
If the Scotch wanted even more powers they would vote YES !
Offer them something they cant get if you want to entice them. :rolleyes:

It strikes me as stupid, that politicians are offering more powers to the Scotch Parliament if they vote NO.

more booze - me Jockies

have another one matey !!

there nae was a Scootsman who could refuse a wee drinky lol

( never mind the one on the far right )

Last edited:
The secret is out at last, Alex the oily fish, is really the illegitimate son of Leonid Breznev

( once the supremo of the USSR. )

Personally I am a bit dubious of that claim, but..........

Attachments

• Breznev.PNG
    Breznev.PNG
    748.3 KB · Views: 250
A YES vote will require considerable constitutional negotiations with UK government over the finer details (aka - everything). With a UK election currently planned for 2015, time taken over the independence campaign itself together with the time required to finalise independence will be pushed well into the future. The current UK government has no mandate to hold office a longer period and is unlikely to go for the other option of an early election (2014). Leaving the final details until after the next election will further muddy the waters as to what is and what is not included/excluded from an independent Scotland such that the tussle may run on for some years. This is in addition to Scotland's efforts to negotiate EU-hood, NATO-hood, financial integirty, government integrity and support for basic social services and health.

A NO vote will require a similar amount of time to negotiate devo-max-max powers which for the same reasons (2015 UK election) be put on a back burner. When the dust settles after that election the devo-max-max will be far from a done deal and will in fact be nothing more than a distant memory of a government which structurally no longer exists and more crucially, will have no legal standing in the then current UK government even if (unlikely) the constituents are identical. Scotland will get shafted and be hived off what appear to be morsels of appeasement but are in fact a load off for Westminster. SNP will effectively cease to exist as a mainstream party.

Aye lads, Bannockburn all over again. Another victory for Scotland whichever way you look at it, but, it just doesn't feel like it, ever.

A YES vote will require considerable constitutional negotiations with UK government over the finer details (aka - everything). With a UK election currently planned for 2015, time taken over the independence campaign itself together with the time required to finalise independence will be pushed well into the future. The current UK government has no mandate to hold office a longer period and is unlikely to go for the other option of an early election (2014). Leaving the final details until after the next election will further muddy the waters as to what is and what is not included/excluded from an independent Scotland such that the tussle may run on for some years. This is in addition to Scotland's efforts to negotiate EU-hood, NATO-hood, financial integirty, government integrity and support for basic social services and health.

A NO vote will require a similar amount of time to negotiate devo-max-max powers which for the same reasons (2015 UK election) be put on a back burner. When the dust settles after that election the devo-max-max will be far from a done deal and will in fact be nothing more than a distant memory of a government which structurally no longer exists and more crucially, will have no legal standing in the then current UK government even if (unlikely) the constituents are identical. Scotland will get shafted and be hived off what appear to be morsels of appeasement but are in fact a load off for Westminster. SNP will effectively cease to exist as a mainstream party.

Aye lads, Bannockburn all over again. Another victory for Scotland whichever way you look at it, but, it just doesn't feel like it, ever.

I can just hear that small voice in the dark " Will no one rid me of those turbulent Scots ? "

I would have agreed with you until I saw how Cameron and Co are offering inducements to the "No" voters. There is now, a possibility that the Scots will stay and, then, demand all that was promised. Since London will backtrack on a lot of the promises, we will be in for a very irritated Scotland and there will be arguments for decades.

For the benefit of the rest of us, Scotland should vote "yes".

I would have agreed with you until I saw how Cameron and Co are offering inducements to the "No" voters. There is now, a possibility that the Scots will stay and, then, demand all that was promised. Since London will backtrack on a lot of the promises, we will be in for a very irritated Scotland and there will be arguments for decades.

For the benefit of the rest of us, Scotland should vote "yes".

Cameron & His cronies will be long gone when it comes to delivery time. Wasn't this the man who gave us a cast iron guarantee for a referendum which he subsequently redefined as unnecessary. The Scots are a canny lot and have exported their cleverness all over the world (including England). If I were Scottish I don't think I'd want rule from Westminster any more than I currently do from Edinburgh.

Cameron & His cronies will be long gone when it comes to delivery time. Wasn't this the man who gave us a cast iron guarantee for a referendum which he subsequently redefined as unnecessary. The Scots are a canny lot and have exported their cleverness all over the world (including England). If I were Scottish I don't think I'd want rule from Westminster any more than I currently do from Edinburgh.

That's what I mean, Cameron's and Milliband's promises will still be here to cause trouble, though, even after the politicians have all gone.

Far better for Scotland to go independent and be done with it.

Be interesting to see what percentage of those eligible to vote do so. The change to the law which enabled the vote to have legal status requires only 50% +1 of the votes to carry the day. There's no minimum turnout requirement. 4.2 million have registered to vote out of a total of 4.4 million entitled to do so, but if that translates into the same 97% turnout on the day, I'll be extremely surprised.

There are approx 800,00 Scots not currently domiciled in Scotland therefore not entitled to vote and 400,000 non-Scots domiciled there who are.

So enough of the stale statistics Pat, onto the meat of the matter:_

#ScotsGUESSES

Turnout 74%
YES 33%
NO 38%
Spoiled/Undecided 3%

As I understand it there is a movement afoot to give cities in Britain almost unilateral powers over finance, health etc.

And not have a centralised Govt either in Brussells or London insisting they have all the answers. Different courses for different cities it seems ?

Could this be an advance on the independence idea ?

The key imho is the people involved. Some can transform the average city and others make a right royal mess of it like Detroit.

I don't know what has happened in Detroit. Is it in administration like a bankrupt company would be or just left to its own devices ?

Last edited:
Trading side of things. - Ok guys, getting down to the nitty gritty.

What plans do you have for your open positions over Thursday Night/Friday early morning.
And which markets that you are in, are you concerned about adverse reactions and increased volatility as the results start to trickle in.

Trading side of things. - Ok guys, getting down to the nitty gritty.

What plans do you have for your open positions over Thursday Night/Friday early morning.
And which markets that you are in, are you concerned about adverse reactions and increased volatility as the results start to trickle in.
Do you think all the possible outcomes have been factored in?

Do you think it's possible that all the possible outcomes have been factored in?

If you don't think this is possible do you think it's possible to determine what the potential outcomes will be and what impact this will have?

If you don't have any idea what the outcome will be or what the impact will be of any of the possible outcomes do you think you might not be alone in not knowing any of this?

Do you think if the latter is the case that the set of those who don't know is sufficient for you to take a view that volatility will have been underestimated?

And if that might me the case, do you think volatility could be considered to be cheap? And ipso facto, worth buying?

Be interesting to see what percentage of those eligible to vote do so. The change to the law which enabled the vote to have legal status requires only 50% +1 of the votes to carry the day. There's no minimum turnout requirement. 4.2 million have registered to vote out of a total of 4.4 million entitled to do so, but if that translates into the same 97% turnout on the day, I'll be extremely surprised.

There are approx 800,00 Scots not currently domiciled in Scotland therefore not entitled to vote and 400,000 non-Scots domiciled there who are.

So enough of the stale statistics Pat, onto the meat of the matter:_

#ScotsGUESSES

This a problem, not just in the UK, but in Ukraine, Cataluña, anywhere there is a referendum of this kind. It is very difficult to get it right.

Turnout 74%
YES 33%
NO 38%
Spoiled/Undecided 3%

How many foreigners are working on the oil rigs? As far as I can see, Scottish or not, they have a vote. The same with foreign workers in NHS or students, resident in Scotland on Thursday, even though they plan to fly out on the weekend.