Scotland Independence Referendum

Well done pat, good bit of harmless fun, well done to sharky for stepping up with the prize money too. Back to normality now eh ?

Well done Pat! Amazon voucher winging it's way over to you....
Delighted to be the recipient.

I had considered donating the prize to Alex Salmond as he's increasingly going to have significant chunks of spare time and he could probably use a few books to while away his political twilight, but then again I thought, no, I'll squander the whole bloody lot on personal gratification.

It's been fun and quite a few laughs too. I'll look forward to the next competition. Thanks to Sharky (and t2w) for putting up a prize to get those competitive juices flowing in the general hoi polloi that passes for membership.

Delighted to be the recipient.

I had considered donating the prize to Alex Salmond as he's increasingly going to have significant chunks of spare time and he could probably use a few books to while away his political twilight, but then again I thought, no, I'll squander the whole bloody lot on personal gratification.

It's been fun and quite a few laughs too. I'll look forward to the next competition. Thanks to Sharky (and t2w) for putting up a prize to get those competitive juices flowing in the general hoi polloi that passes for membership.

This might be appropriate.
Its Scottish, "45%" proof, and comes from Highland, the last council to vote that swung it in your favour.
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-22341.aspx

EKPo3Sg.jpg

Great result guys

good pick from P. Riley

interesting thread and fun too

WTF is this if it's not turnout ?
kinell bud m8 ffs wanna borrer me glasses innit !
Ha ha ha. Sorry counter_violent. Genuine error on my part. Hasn't materially altered the result, but my apologies for the oversight which has obviously and understandably caused trauma, distress and hurt. In an effort to remedy the unintentional damage caused, I'll post a picture of what I used the prize voucher for.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29283104

Interesting what's come out of this vote.

More powers for England would be good imo.

Why not the Welsh and the Irish too, definitely agree.

I'm thinking this is turning out really well. We'll keep the union and have devolved powers for all. Accountability and a bit of good competition for the politicians to deliver.

Hopefully should deliver results with less horse trading in parliament.

I see a win, win, win, win scenario here. :)

That's right Split, down under we have compulsory voting, or face a fine. Makes for a damn good turnout at the polls :)

That's right Split, down under we have compulsory voting, or face a fine. Makes for a damn good turnout at the polls :)

I am not sure compulsory voting is really a good idea. You get a lot of people who either don't care or don't know. Their vote will hold as much weight as someone who has a good understanding of the issue imho

A low turnout tells you an awful lot about the state of tbe politics - a non-vote is a vote in itself.

I am not sure compulsory voting is really a good idea. You get a lot of people who either don't care or don't know. Their vote will hold as much weight as someone who has a good understanding of the issue imho

:LOL: Pat, with you we're damned if we do or we're damned if we don't!

Would you say that Australia is an undemocratic country and should be listed along with the countries that were mentioned by the other Pat.

when I was Down Under, sixty odd years ago, there was supposed to be a predominance of women, although I never tried to count them all, myself.

The pubs used to close at 5pm, if I remember, or maybe 6pm. In any case, they were all full because all the day workers ended at about that time and tried to swill down as much as posible before going home. Women got the blame for that, because they were said to have the majority vote and wanted their men home--drunk or sober. Maybe, the compulsory voting system came in because of that. :D

It's changed a tad since then Split, now just an ordinary Saturday. :)

Everyone has a right to vote, or not, but here it's a case of..
"get your ass to the polls, vote correctly or spoil it, doesn't matter, but at least you've had your say"