S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2013

1760 trying to pick the midpoint of the last 20 days - sideway move.

No idea if it's going up or down. Indecision.

Last edited:
Hi Atilla
I am glad to see the weighted av is doing well again.
It seems to take time to build up each quarter. Well it would from scratch, so I was thinking it may be possible to further improve it by having a weighted av of the overall yearly figure to also add into the mix ? But on a less weighty bias.

What do you think ?

Perhaps someone has some thoughts on this subject ?

Last edited:
Hi Atilla
It seems to take time to build up each quarter. Well it would from scratch, so I was thinking it may be possible to further improve it by having a weighted av of the overall yearly figure to also add into the mix ? But on a less weighty bias.

What do you think ?

IMO adding another average is just too many averages. The weighted average does well but I wouldn't object to changing it to something else or tweaking the term of the calculation.

Peter

IMO adding another average is just too many averages. The weighted average does well but I wouldn't object to changing it to something else or tweaking the term of the calculation.

Peter

basically, something that doesn't beat us all the time..I like it already :smart:

Hi Atilla

What do you think ?

Yep I definitely agree. We are handicapping weighted every time we level it with simple average. (y)

Was playing around with the same idea if you look at columns BT & BU which caputures yearly running totals. This week 7 it comes out at 1776.94.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Bulls to bears here is week 7 of the S&P500 2013 QTR4 competition forecasts.

Wishing you all good luck with just 7 weeks' forecast left to go for the end of the year. (y)

Attachments

• SPX500-131115a.JPG
    SPX500-131115a.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Yep I definitely agree. We are handicapping weighted every time we level it with simple average. (y)

Was playing around with the same idea if you look at columns BT & BU which caputures yearly running totals. This week 7 it comes out at 1776.94.

Glad you agree.
And of course it misses the first week of every quarter completely.
Did you mean columns AT & AU ?

Not forgetting it is entirely dependent on the quality of the players' posts !!
As it evolves, we are definately onto something special here imho

Peter

Do please come up with something better

The mathematicians normally shy away from this problem of market forecasting. And why ? Because it is too hard. Then they say what a crass problem, they are more interested in something else. Making millions, to me. isn't a crass problem.

Last edited:
This is a must watch video if you are into trading with maths

I would suggest that the best analysts trading the market DO alter the paradigms of the markets, against themselves, maybe a bit like a pendulum back and forth in the longer term.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Well done to the three Podium winners this week who've managed to Pick uP more Points as the end of 2013 draws near. :clap::clap::clap:

..............malaguti...................samspade...................VielGeld
three-kings_3801.jpg

Looking forward to the stats towards the end of the year. 6 weeks to go and the winning line is almost in site. 5 forecasters with 5 point difference after almost 50 weeks of forecasting. Phew...

Attachments

• 12QTR4-151113b.JPG
    12QTR4-151113b.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
By Luke Swiderski
NEW YORK, Nov 15 (Reuters) - The Dow and the S&P 500 hit new highs on Friday for a sixth straight week of gains, as investors continued to take cues from Federal Reserve Chair nominee Janet Yellen, who told a Senate Committee it was too early to end the central bank's stimulus.
Shares of Exxon Mobil Corp led the blue chip Dow index higher. They rose 2.2 percent to $95.27 a day after Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc (NYSE: BRK-A - news) disclosed a new $3.45 billion stake in the second-largest U.S. company by market value, behind only Apple Inc (NasdaqGS: AAPL - news)
Both the S&P and Dow capped a fourth straight day of gains and the S&P 500 finished within two points of 1,800, as investor confidence in the market remained high.
"I think there is a general expectation that the market is going to continue to rally for the rest of the year," said Brad McMillan, chief investment officer for Commonwealth Financial, based in Waltham, Massachusetts.
"Retail investors are starting to move back in and I think that's providing a fair amount of support."
Toward the end of the year, fund managers who are trailing their benchmarks may help boost stocks as they chase performance.
"I think it's going to be a slow grind up," said Dan Veru, chief investment officer at Palisade Capital Management, adding that the only thing "that can derail this is some exogenous macroeconomic event that comes out of nowhere."
The Dow Jones industrial average was up 85.48 points, or 0.54 percent, at 15,961.70. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was up 7.56 points, or 0.42 percent, at 1,798.18. The Nasdaq Composite Index was up 13.23 points, or 0.33 percent, at 3,985.97.
A number of big hedge funds disclosed they took positions in ailing department store J.C. Penney Co, sending its shares up 3.9 percent to $9.03.
FedEx Corp shares added 1.6 percent to $138.65 after filings showed Daniel Loeb's Third Point LLC, George Soros' Soros Fund Management LLC and John Paulson's Paulson & Co all took stakes in the company.
Shares of Electronic Arts Inc (NasdaqGS: EA - news) fell 7.3 percent to $24.06 a share. Omega Advisors, owned by billionaire Leon Cooperman, said in a Thursday filing it had dissolved its stake of 750,000 shares in the video game publisher.
InterCloud Systems Inc (NasdaqCM: ICLD - news) shares surged 271 percent to $9.46 after the cloud computing and consulting services company said its quarterly revenue rose five-fold to $16.2 million.
Data showed New York state's manufacturing sector unexpectedly shrank this month while U.S. industrial production fell in October as output at power plants and mines declined.

Let's hope that Janet Yellen isn't just another Democrat " yes man ", and has the nerve to say what should be said.

Let's hope that Janet Yellen isn't just another Democrat " yes man ", and has the nerve to say what should be said.

She clearly is a dove and will continue with Bernanke's policies. (y)

Tapering expected 2014/Q1. Markets always rise to end of year until bonuses are paid. It's not like a shock to the system is it??? :cheesy:

Atilla, many thanks for looking after the competition, but i'm going to bow out gracefully. Im not finding time to log in every week therefore end up missing weeks. Best of luck to all.....Regards..Mike