Reasonably simple trading

To be honest I do consider myself a bit of a "punter" - I trade my setups at my levels and let the market do what it wants to do. I have confidence based on thousands of trades over years of development that if I do the same consistent thing, I'll come out ahead. I'm not going to win every trade and I'm not going to make money every day, but over a decent enough sample I should do OK. So I tell myself anyway :)
I stand corrected! Even if you aren't integrating an layer of sediment or fundamental analysis, I'd guess that your punts aren't entirely cavalier. The word "consistent" covers a multitude of virtues especially if you "come out ahead" over time.

@FXX. I woz wrong....again

I stand corrected! Even if you aren't integrating an layer of sediment or fundamental analysis, I'd guess that your punts aren't entirely cavalier. The word "consistent" covers a multitude of virtues especially if you "come out ahead" over time.

@FXX. I woz wrong....again

Yeah, they're not entirely cavalier as you say. I have faith in the combination of setups/levels to produce profits over time.

Main thing for me is keeping it simple. As I've said I used to tie myself in knots with rules. At one stage I was probably coming up with a new rule every time I lost a trade so that "that won't happen again". But eventually I had some many rules I was confusing myself and barely trading.

Then there was one day I remember clearly when I passed on four trades because of one rule or another which would all have been winners. On the same day I took two trades which did somehow make it through my millions of rules and filters, and they both lost. I sat there shaking my head and said to myself "there's no rhyme or reason to it..." and that was sort of the lightbulb moment.

I stopped trying to be cleverer than the market and stopped thinking my rules would allow me to second-guess what would happen. I decided to just react to what I was seeing in front of me right here, right now and let the rest take care of itself.

While I was typing that previous post out I also shorted EURAUD again at 3.25pm. Entry was at 16199.2.

This one is also a bit close to the low so careful monitoring again.

Same concept with 16200 now the resistance to consider on move up from the low.

Stop 30pts, Target 50pts, but as it's getting late in the day I may reassess the target. Trade will be considered invalidated if we move up through the high around 16219.

2020_11_16_euraud2.png

Past 4.30pm now so I'm done looking for trades today, it's now just a case of monitoring this EURAUD position.

2059 out of EURAUD short +5.1 . Did see approx +39 at one point but hey ho. First trade was +30.1/+50 on the two halves, so +40.05 aggregate which I'll round down to +40 for simplicity.

So +45.1 today which I'm happy with for a Monday.

Here's something that's happened in Brent Oil this morning and is an example of my other type of setup.

2020_11_17_brent.png

I didn't trade it because one of the rules I do have is that I don't like to buy any more than 20pts above the low (or sell any more than 20pts below the high). When this setup confirmed at 0917 I would have been looking at an entry that was more than 30pts above the low, so I put in a buy limit hoping for a pullback, but in this case it didn't happen.

By 0927 the market moved 30pts higher than the level where I'd placed my order, so at that point I considered that it might have done all the move it wanted to do off that signal.

Deleted my order choosing not to buy if/when the market did pull back, which it has now just done around 0951.

Choppy stuff on the Indices so far this morning and GBP feeling the effects of a swift line of trade deal powder, so there's not much shaping up at the moment.

On EURAUD the move from session low up through 1.6200 then back below offers a potential scenario I'd like to see, but that's about it.

2020_11_17_euraud.png

GBPAUD exceeded the previous high too much.

1215 Bought FTSE at 6354.6, stop 30pts target 50pts although US Retail Sales at 1330 is noted.

EURAUD setup no longer of interest either.

FTSE feels heavy to me, but I saw my setup, so I traded it.

1306 out of FTSE trade for -17.8.

US data at 1330 so an extended lunch break now, back for the Dow open at 1430.

Suspect that's probably it for me today. This is a very dull job at times but I still wouldn't want to be doing anything else...

Like the EURAUD trades on Monday, entry was closer to the low than I prefer but it's just a case of keeping a close eye on it.

Market made a new low quickly but need to see a decent move down through 18125 or there is potential for reversal back above 18150.

Had a feeling the rally off the low was exhausted and we were about to turn lower prior to that Pfizer headline, but who knows.

I remember when it was Brexit and China headlines that would be grenades suddenly lobbed into the market, now it's vaccines... :rolleyes: