Real-time charts

delboy

Hi, have recently set up an account with Capital Spreads. Currently trading the Dow and it seems to be going well up to now but the problem is that their charts are delayed by 15minutes.

Can anybody recommend any sites/companies to use for live charts. Have tried ADVFN with not much sucess.

Cheers! :confused:

Free realtime Dow is at www.bigcharts.com (go to Interactive Charts, symbol DJIA) and finance.yahoo.com (click 'Dow' under the Nasdaq chart).

Free realtime FTSE100 is at uk.finance.yahoo.com (just click the chart)

It might have been in the past, but it's live now - check it out.

someone on this site mentioned a website with streaming real time prices of indexes...(i think he set up this site himself)...

http://www.thetradingedge.co.uk/ftsechar.htm

this links to the ftse chart, but their are others available, including forex, and its all real time.... descent site imho...

All the charts above - Yahoo, etc. - are for the cash index, not the futures. Does anyone know where to get live (not delayed) futures charts for FTSE, SPX and DJIA as a minimum?

Thanks - just tried it out. It looks like Etrade's demo (think it's actually the same software) and the charts are the same ones Capital Spreads uses on its Web trading platform. Lots of code reuse going on!

prophet.net and quote.com over cheap realtime charting, just add the futures exchange you need

Best bet imho is yahoo, they have a java realtime graphing app which charts US equities and world indices. Costs about £6 a month.

MT

delboy said:
Hi, have recently set up an account with Capital Spreads. Currently trading the Dow and it seems to be going well up to now but the problem is that their charts are delayed by 15minutes.

Can anybody recommend any sites/companies to use for live charts. Have tried ADVFN with not much sucess.

Cheers! :confused:

A real time chart is only worth looking at if you look at it in real time! Now what is real time?

Very good point Jimbo.
I'm a bit fed up with all these providers who fudge live/realtime difference to lure punters.
I nearly got sucked into paying for charts in the early days.
Some providers still try to intimate that realtime=live, only specifying the truth in the small print.

axthree said:
Very good point Jimbo.
I'm a bit fed up with all these providers who fudge live/realtime difference to lure punters.
I nearly got sucked into paying for charts in the early days.
Some providers still try to intimate that realtime=live, only specifying the truth in the small print.

And it goes beyond that. I have sat for many years on oil trading floors. When I see the price tick on my $2000k+/ month reuters screen/ telerate screen, and if I happen to have my pit broker on the line at the same time, I know I am already several fractions of a second (if not several seconds!) behind already. The first value is already taken out! This can be extrapolated to electronic trading environments also. Therefore, paying for "real-time" is a little like paying for "the news"
But agree 100% with your observation

I use bigcharts to assist with day trading S&P 500 mini because of its ease of use and flexibility to set moving averages (SMA2), and other indicators. I have multiple charts open with different ticks (1min, 5 min, 15 min) to get confirmation signals when comparing the different chart tick times and associated indicators (ie various sma2).
The problem is I have to mentally adjust the BigCharts price (spx) to get to the real contract price (for ES(cont)) in my trading platform. The difference is usually around 3.5. Don't know if I explained that well, but I think you will see what I mean when you try it. BTW, the BigChart's prices seem to be fairly real time when you refresh. during market hours, of course.
My trading platform is Strategy Runner and (Web Runner -at office no installed downloads). Strategy runner (installed software) has many trading indicators but I haven't figured out how to get them to work the way I need to make trading decisions. Anyway, many of my trades are made on Web runner which has no indicators so I have to make do.
BigCharts (combined with my trading set up criteria) works OK for me to determine entry and exit points so I can do 1-3 different RT trades a day and I am averaging 1.6 points gain per contract including stopped out losing trades. I know, not great, but I am still learning and only do this part time (full time job). I miss so many good trades during the day, but oh well, got to pay the bills.
I have only been trading for a few months, making some money and having lots of fun. I have a dull job so this (diversion) helps a lot. Thanks to all you real traders and your advise. It has been most helpful.