Real Time Streaming Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

est84

Hi everyone,

Right, so I have taken on board everything that you hav all advised me to do, up to my eyeballs in literature, but hey, I am actually enjoying it :!:

However, I still am having a little trouble. As I mentioned in a previous thread, when reading up, I like to us the interactive charting on www.bigcharts.com. I find the intraday charts clear and easy to understand (by the way, I look at candlestick charts with a 2 line EMA as my indicator, and am just concentrating on the FTSE100). I do glance at it during the day, then examine my specified chart at night to see where I would have implemented my trading strategy and so on. BUT, these charts are delayed by 15 minutes, as are most on the Net that I have come across, I know that they can be refreshed and auto refresh, but it's just not the same! I really, really, really need to start looking at some real time intraday charts, but cannot seem to find any as good and as clear as those on bigcharts.

SO, does anybody have any information as to a site that could provide this - real time intraday streaming charts, preferably free of charge :?: :?: :?: Obviously, the delayed ones are free, but there must be somwhere on the net that provides live ones free??? In a previous thread of mine, a member named CarpeUK replied: "As long as the net is up and running, things will always be free"...

Any ideas :?: ...I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks
est84

PS - I hope that AlexAndrews reads this. I have scoured this site to find the answer to my question. I didn't, hence this thread, but I saw that they were asking the same thing. So hopefully, AlexAndrews, these guys can help.

Last edited:
all exchanges want a fee for real time data - which is charged on by whoever supplies the data

i am sure some techie guy though has a way round receiving data for free - though if they have - you then dont know how valid or timely the data is

the reason people pay data suppliers for data - is so they at least feel the data has a half way chance of being accurate and there is a difference between the data supply and the charting software - so what you are actually looking for is data and charting - either together or seperatly, but you need both

There are some free real-time charts at Yahoo financial pages. The major indices (including the FTSE) are real-time, though all the individual share charts are 15-minutes delayed. It's not a wonderful chart, but it does have a range of technical analysis parameters available (including EMA's). They're not streaming, though: you have to click on "refresh" all the time tp update them.

Hope this helps.

all indicie charts are delayed since there is no such thing as an indicie to trade off - so you need futures data and that costs

come on roberto - i know you are genteel and all that - but dont send the guy on a wild goose chase

Hi est84,

Yes, I have been looking, but it's not that crucial to me. I have recently taken out a 1 month trial of ADVFN's silver service, and the streaming interactive charting is very promising. Unfortunately, this service gives you live streaming charts for UK shares, but the FTSE is 15 minutes delayed. Anyway, early on in my trial I discovered a number of significant technical and functional problems with the charting application. I have notified ADVFN, but haven't had any time-scales as to when they can be worked on, so I'm going to cancel my sub. Once they have addressed some of them, I'll have another look.

BTW, the FTSE is an index - a value calcuated using a set formula from the values of its constituents (computers can do this pretty quickly these days), so why do you need futures prices???

All the best,

Alex

because you cant trade the indicie - you can only trade the futures - so you may as well use tea leaves as the ftse index in order to trade

A bit confused now - does it help to know that i am planning to spread bet? So i need up to the minute info. So, can anyone recommend any good software for me to use?

the best is around the $750/mth mark - you can pay more - or you can pay around the $100/$150 mark per month - choose your price point and i am sure you will get a lot of recomendations

you would be best to find someone local to you who is a bit more advanced than you and have a chat with them and see what they use and what they do - they probably wont be successful at trading, but at least you will get a feel for what is a real complex subject

sounds like you are on step one - and step two could transpire to be real expensive for you! - and i dont mean the software!

I'm sure that I can spreadbet the major indices? Correct me if I am wrong, but on the finspreads site, there is a 'futures' tab, and all the indices are avaliable???

Anyway, the site has the option of viewing charts, but i'm just not sure how ood they are. When i select to look at a one day chart, its fine, as long as its a bar chart, but nothing appears on the candlestick chart, nothing. Its actually really frustrating!

Any ideas?

Thanks

ok, i was wrong - you are not even near step one - find that friend - theres a spreadbet company out there just licking its lips right now!!

est84/ alex

try http://www.livecharts.co.uk/ if you can stand the adverts.

In his usual no nonsense, take no prisoners way stevet is trying to open your eyes a bit. You can spreadbet the indices, but you will often find that the prices they quote don't relate exactly to the particular index you're looking at.

Ok, so I sound so stupid right now. Don't worry though, i wasn't planning on putting any money on the line just yet! I might be stupid, but really people (stevet!) not THAT stupid!

Right, so you people have come here to guide me, thanks. Just a few more dumb questions. So with spreadbetting (daily) you have to watch the screen like every 5 minutes, as the charts are up and down like a yo-yo. Therefore, I need a charting system that is real time which allows me to see whatever i am spreadbetting on moving, so i know when to enter and exit the trade. So basically like a chart that i use now on bigcharts (candlestick, 2 line EMA...) but LIVE. Please some advice please.

I was just looking at www.prorealtime.com - any good??? Its 50 Euros/month

Thanks

Please remember (no names mentioned stevet) that I am just learning. I seem to detect a hint of sarcasm in your tone. I know it is a complex subject, but hey, if you can do it... I kind of know that this is your...'trade2win persona', if i can call it that; i've read some of your other replies on other threads, but come one, i've been at this like 2 weeks!!!! I bet you've been doing it for years. God, this isn't school, quit with the 'dumb new kind' tone already! Thanks for replying and all, you have been helpful previously. Give me some time, please!

Well, Christ, he really has!!! I know i rambled on about him a bit above, but he has kind of scared me, in the way of losing money, i mean! Thant was a compliment

est84

No need to lash out any hard earned just yet - maybe wait 'til you know precisely what you want. The link I mentioned above is real time live. You can also use Yahoo finance as Roberto says (there's a link on the real time prices thread to show how you can auto refresh every minute which makes it pretty near real time live). You might find these good enough for the time being until you decide more precisely how and over what timescales you want to trade.

Sorry to be misunderstood - i wasn't 'lashing out', just stating an opinion, the learning curve is a difficult one, not to mention confusing and a struggle. Don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful to anyone who replies to my threads with any info, again, thanks.

Thanks for the link, I was actuall just looking at the site, but i'll be p bright and early tomorrow to see it working!!!

fear is no bad thing!

there is only on and off in trading - you are winning or losing - a lot are happy to lose as trading is just a way of satiating their need to gamble - and a lot just have it as a hobby and bet small so the hobby does not cost too much - and some want and need to make bucks every day - watch as you progress and see which you become

Just looking at the site and the Dow Jones chart - brilliant, exactly what i was after!!!! THink i'm going to watch this for the next few weeks, as well as subscribing to say, prorealtime. Hopefully, i should get the hang of implementing my trding plan soon, so i can start paper trading and know what i am doing!!!

Thanks again!

I think for now, its kind of a hobby - i have time to study and learn it. When i finally do underatand, i can paper trade, and only once i have mastered that, will i be placing SMALL bets - maximum of 50p per point, until i have mastered that. So, i won't be losing much - I hope. Ive benn saving for this anyhow. Well, this is the plan, lets hope i can stick to it - emotional detachment and all.

PS - stevet, really I had no intention of offending you. so I apologise if it came across that way. I hope that you reply in my futre threads. I am now relying on your frank honestly and scare tactics to help me along!

est84 said:
Sorry to be misunderstood - i wasn't 'lashing out', just stating an opinion, the learning curve is a difficult one, not to mention confusing and a struggle. Don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful to anyone who replies to my threads with any info, again, thanks.

Thanks for the link, I was actuall just looking at the site, but i'll be p bright and early tomorrow to see it working!!!

Talking about misunderstanding :LOL: I was meaning not to lash out any hard earned cash!!!!

Stevet can take it - he's got a kind heart beneath that trade hardened skin :LOL:

stevet said:
because you cant trade the indicie - you can only trade the futures - so you may as well use tea leaves as the ftse index in order to trade

Huh??? Because you can't trade the FTSE (directly), you can't get a real-time price for it???

I think you are missing the point. I want a live streaming chart of the value of the FTSE-100. Yes, it is a synthetic instrument and as such there are no trades to chart, but its value can be calculated and displayed every nanosecond based on the values of its constituents. Yes, I would be trading some derivative based on the value of the FTSE (future, spreadbet prices). As a derivative of the FTSE, the price at which I can trade my chosen derivative will be directly correlated to the value of the FTSE, so being able to see a chart of the FTSE and apply TA to it is a necessity, Unfortunately, I have not yet found a site offering a live streaming chart of the FTSE FOR FREE. You can get it by subscribing to the service above Silver on ADVFN - I think it's about £15pcm.

(On re-reading my post, I think you may be confusing the prices for the daily instruments - such as "FTSE Daily Cash" - quoted by spreadbetting firms, which are the front-month future prices adjusted for fair value, I believe)

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.