free delayed streaming??

sbguy

I'm trying to paper trade to test my understanding of 123 formations and Ross Hooks on futures. I've been using Capital Spreads demo account for 15 min delayed futures charts. I like them because you don't have to keep hitting the refresh button and they show the price fluctuations in 'delayed real time' instead of just a bar every XX minutes. Does anyone know of a free package that does the same thing but with better charts? I've tried tradingsimulaton.com and futuresource.com but they don't have the 'delayed real time' price updates and only tradingsimulaton updates itself. Any ideas?

sbguy said:
I'm trying to paper trade to test my understanding of 123 formations and Ross Hooks on futures. I've been using Capital Spreads demo account for 15 min delayed futures charts. I like them because you don't have to keep hitting the refresh button and they show the price fluctuations in 'delayed real time' instead of just a bar every XX minutes. Does anyone know of a free package that does the same thing but with better charts? I've tried tradingsimulaton.com and futuresource.com but they don't have the 'delayed real time' price updates and only tradingsimulaton updates itself. Any ideas?
sbguy

Interactive Broker's demo account using their free trading platform Trader Workstation has a 15 min delayed feed. Their graphs are not the best in the world and I don't know what Capital Spreads graphs are like, so I cannot say which is better.

You might also consider a one-off purchase of a charting package such as Amibroker, which has better charting capabilities and will accept a feed from IB (including the demo account) or from a free Yahoo feed of 1 minute bars over any date range you require.

Charlton

Thanks Charlton, I tried Interactive Brokers demo account, (edemo:demouser I think it was) But the charts don't work. I got a message "error connecting to XXXX server" when I tried them. Did they work for you under the demo account?

sbguy said:
Thanks Charlton, I tried Interactive Brokers demo account, (edemo:demouser I think it was) But the charts don't work. I got a message "error connecting to XXXX server" when I tried them. Did they work for you under the demo account?
sbguy

You can ignore that message. In the free demo account I think they limit the data to the current session, so you need a market that is currently open.

Click on the charts icon after highlighting the instrument you are interested in. Right click on the chart to adjust the chart parameters to something suitable ( e.g. less than 1 day, 1 minute bars) and it should start plotting for you. it will take a bit of time to get enough bars for a decent trace.

If you open an account with them they have both a live and a paper trading account and you have the facilities to backfill etc.

But as I said their charts aren't the best in the world, but you can interface between IB and charting packages.

Alternatively try ADVFN.COM.

To test your understanding of some concept and to develop a trading strategy, I think you would do just as well using End of Day data in my opinion. There are free data sources as I said before, which you could use with a decent charting package, which after all is a one-off expense.

Charlton

Last edited: