Random!

random: What you looking at?! (new scientist article; mans face shape linked to aggressiveness)

Aggression written in the shape of a man's face - 20 August 2008 - New Scientist

Before i read the article, perhaps thats due to -

testosterone levels in shaping the face structure. High testosterone = high aggression.

Someone who looks Aggressive/tough will often be met with prejudice (bloody hell he looks like a hard bast***! etc), and maybe they become a self fulfilling proffecy, living up to peoples expectations of them.....

random: What you looking at?! (new scientist article; mans face shape linked to aggressiveness)

Aggression written in the shape of a man's face - 20 August 2008 - New Scientist

Yes

i think it might just be a fact of life that most hard bastar** have a tough lucking face/head/skull/jawline etc. They might be handsome at the same time. However, this doesn't mean that all big tough hard lucking men are aggressive.
You also get girly boy aggressive types, like that bell end who was on big brother etc.
Aggression has many different forms, from school ground bully to corporate sleeze, and so its hard to pidgeon hole.

Bought a lovely dining table this weekend:

ILVA - Borde - Miami

Company went into administration, picked it up 70% off the marked price :clap: (Good news, cos it was f**king expensive otherwise!!)

Had a tough day, just taken the le creuset for a spin...

Serves 4:

500g Venison
4 - 6 rashers streaky bacon
1 Red onion
2 sticks celery / equivalent celeriac
1 Large Carrot
1 Parsip
2 cloves garlic
black peppercorns
juniper berries
cardamom
Thyme
Cranberry / red current jelly
3 Bottles plonk (I used faustino V) + wine for guests
Beef stock

For the mash...
8 large potatoes (desree / maris piper)
Massive dollop of unsalted butter
Double cream
Dijon Mustard

PREP FIRST:

1. Peel and roughly chop the parsnip + carrot, celery + onion. Peel and chop garlic.

2. Dice the Venison + bacon into 1 inch sized chunks / steaks (I got my butcher to do it for me); pour some plain flour, table salt + ground black pepper onto a baking sheet. Dust the venison in the seasoned flour

3. You'll need 2 heavy bottomed, oven proof pots with lids. Make sure you can fit the biggest one into the main oven, the smaller one into the top oven. Take out any trays / shelves that are in the way.

4. Peel and cut potatoes into even sized big chunks

5. Pre-heat main oven to Gas mark 4 / top oven Gas mark 2

6. Fill kettle and boil.

7. Open one bottle of wine to breath

8. Test wine for poisoning

GET COOKING

1. Bring the water to the boil and bung the spuds in a good sized pan for 18 mins. Add a little salt to water and let simmer.

2. Over a medium heat, fry the bacon in a little olive oil until it's got some colour. Then chuck in the rest of the veg and give in 5 or 6 mins, just until the veg is beginning to brown.

3. Check wine for corkage.

4. Take out all the veg and put to one side in a spare pan. Turn up the heat then throw in about a 1/3 of the venison into the pan, just cooking it off so it start to get some colour. Take it out and put it with the veg. Repeat for the remaining 2 goes of 1/3 each.

5. Bung in...oooh, about 3/4 of a pint of red wine, and about 1/2 a pint of hot beef stock and a good dollop of cranberry jelly into the pan. Get a wooden spoon and scrape the burnt bits of beef and bacon and beg off the bottom of the pan (this is the good bit). Bring it to the boil, scraping along the bottom of the pan all the time.

6. After 3-4 mins, throw all the veg / venison / bacon into the pan. Give it a good stir around. Add the 2 sticks of Thyme, 3 - 4 juniper berries, 3 -4 cardamom pods / half a dozen peppercorns (you can use a bayleaf, but I havent got any) NB: If you give the juniper + cardamom a squeeze with your knife to break them a bit, thats good - even better, fry them in a DRY pan for a minute too...

8. If the pinger goes for the spuds, take them off the boil and drain, leave them to one side.

9. Give the venison + veg one last stir, put the lid on, and say goodbye. Stick it in the main oven (at G4) for about 90 mins minimum, the longer the better really.

10. Congratulate oneself with a glass of wine.

11. return spuds into pan, get out potato masher. Get to work. MASH MASH MASH. If you are lazy, stick 'em in a food processor, but be prepared for potato gloop instead of mash.

12. Once thats done, add a massive dollop butter, good slurp of double cream, and a tablespoon ish of the dijon mustard. Give it a good mix up and season to taste.

13. Stick that in the second oven proof dish, and plonk it in the top oven.

14. Retire with remainder of wine

15. Sleep off wine

16. remove ass from sofa. Open 2nd bottle of wine.

17. Eat

18. Drink

19. Sleep

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/m...5.xml&sSheet=/health/2006/03/03/ixhright.html

Super foods: oats

What's so super about them?

Porridge topped with fruit
'A large bowl of porridge for breakfast is ideal'

Oats are a highly effective way of preventing heart disease because they contain soluble fibre that dramatically lowers cholesterol levels. A bowl of porridge a day can reduce cholesterol by up to 23 per cent, with each one per cent drop in cholesterol translating as a two per cent fall in the risk of developing heart disease.

US researchers have found that a daily serving of oats can improve blood pressure.
They also prevent depression by boosting serotonin levels in the brain and reduce the risk of diabetes by absorbing sugar from the gut, cutting out the need for large quantities of insulin to be released. The complex carbohydrates in oats help prevent breast, colon and prostate cancer.

Key ingredients?

Oats contain a specific type of soluble fibre, beta glucan, that soaks up cholesterol from the bloodstream. They're also a good source of folic acid, which is essential for healthy foetal development and vitamin B1(thiamin), crucial for the nervous system.

Do they boost brainpower?

Yes. The complex, slow-release carbohydrates in oats stabilise blood sugar levels, which helps improve concentration.

Will they make me look gorgeous?

Yes. Or at least a bit younger. With advancing age, erratic blood sugar swings accelerate an ageing process that damages collagen, causing skin to droop and lose elasticity. The complex carbohydrates in oats maintain blood sugar levels.

How many calories?

At around 265 calories for a standard bowl of porridge (45g) with skimmed milk, oats aren't a low-calorie option. But if you make porridge with water (albeit less tasty), a standard bowl is only166 calories.

How much do I need to eat?

A large bowl of porridge for breakfast is ideal. Apparently porridge eaters tend to be slimmer than the general population as they feel fuller longer and don't snack between meals or overeat at lunchtime.

How should I eat it?

If porridge isn't your thing, try a handful of oats added to yogurt and fruit. Oatcakes and oatmeal bread are also good, as are flapjacks.

I for one totally agree, I eat like a horse anyway !...and my other half gets her oats at least twice a week...and when I find out who's giving them to her, I will kill them.... :LOL:

seriously though...super-foods are not new..just make sure you eat the right ones !
(which is just about anything) Balance is the best policy..

Anything that gives me a slow release of carbs to stop me scoffing the wrong things must be a good thing in a healthy diet.

I for one totally agree, I eat like a horse anyway !...and my other half gets her oats at least twice a week...and when I find out who's giving them to her, I will kill them.... :LOL:

seriously though...super-foods are not new..just make sure you eat the right ones !
(which is just about anything) Balance is the best policy..

Anything that gives me a slow release of carbs to stop me scoffing the wrong things must be a good thing in a healthy diet.

Absolutely!

My superfoods are -

oats
apples
oranges
grapes
milk
whey

hemp seed oil (extra virgin cold pressed)
olive oil (extra virgin cold pressed) (swig from bottle a desert spoon on alternate mornings)

aloe vera juice (a 500ml bottle 2-3 times per year, consumed over 10 days or so)
oily fish |(though not too much)
water

I also like quality wholemeal bread, the odd bit of rice also, and low calorie ice-cream - Tesco value vanilla is the dogs...& cheap as!

Last edited:
Cereals and skimmed milk for breakfast then whatever my wife cooks, which is all good stuff. I like a Magnum icecream 2-3 times a week, a pint on the weekend. Very rarely eat bread, biscuits or cakes. Never add sugar in tea and coffee, although I love deserts.

Gym Monday to Friday. Walk to and from work, about 1 hour per day.

3 hours trading in the mornings to keep the adrenaline circulating.

Great life!

Split

Breakfast: Selfmade smoothie, consisting of fresh forest berries, eg cranberries, an apple, a carrot, an orange, linseed oil, soy milk, and all put in mixer.

Afterwards a handful of nuts.

Only good, ie complex carbohydrates like in the above - never white bread etc - and also only good fats, and never bad fats like in red meat etc.

THE ANTI-CANCER DIET

And another article, it's absolutely nothing new under the sun, btw, some excerpts from the following article:

Raising the bar
At 88, fitness guru Jack LaLanne can run circles around those half his age

This figures to be the last place you would find Jack LaLanne, fitness icon to countless Americans of a certain age, on a gloriously sunny afternoon along the Central Coast. But there he is, supine on a sofa. His shoes are kicked off, his nose buried in a newspaper. The man is, for maybe the first time in his 88 years, completely at rest. In fact, he is not moving.

These kids today, they don't know Jack.

They know Schwarzenegger and Richard Simmons. They know Dr. Atkins and Jenny Craig. They know Pilates and yoga and low-impact aerobics. They know Nautilus and NordicTrack and the Thighmaster.

But they may not know the cult of LaLanne, how he influenced a generation of men and women to lift weights for exercise and eat organically in an era when both were considered anathema to good health. If people under 40 know LaLanne at all, it's from his late-night infomercial plugging his Power Juicer or his personal appearances on the corporate lecture circuit, the remaining business enterprises left from his erstwhile empire that included a chain of health clubs and health food line.

To them, he is just someone his parents or grandparents watched on the tube.

If they were to ask Grandma about "The Jack LaLanne Show," they might be aghast at the low-tech, low-budget nature of the program. You mean he did all these leg lifts and stuff with just a chair? And you took him seriously?

Indeed, people did. Back in the day, those who didn't mock LaLanne as a crackpot -- remember, he had the gall to ask folks to give up their beloved red meat and stick to high-protein, low-fat diets -- worshiped at his altar of fitness. His TV show ran from 1951 to 1985, insisting to housewives that they would be more feminine with a toned, muscular body. In the show's heyday in the '60s, the message resonated such that LaLanne was estimated to have 50 million viewers. And he made a pretty penny selling nearly 20 million of his upper-body-toning Glamour Stretcher.

He was a troubled boy, willful and unruly.

This scrawny kid was a mess, and, finally, his mother found the source of his problem. He was a substance abuser. That substance was sugar. Always ahead of his time, LaLanne was a bulimic before the medical term had even been coined.

"I'd eat a quart of ice cream in one sitting, shove my finger down my throat, heave it up and have another quart," LaLanne said. "There's nothing more addictive on this earth than sugar. Not heroin, booze, whatever. It's much worse than smoking. Boy, I tell you, I had blinding headaches every day. I was mentally screwed up by sugar. I was psychotic. I was malnourished. I was always getting sick. I got kicked out of school. I wanted to die."

But Jennie LaLanne, willful in her own right, would have none of that. She read in the newspaper about a lecture by health-food pioneer Paul C. Bragg at the Oakland City Women's Club, and she forcibly took Jack along. They got to the lecture hall late, and the only seats left were onstage near Bragg. The two-hour talk, LaLanne says, saved his life. But at the time, all he felt was abject humiliation.

That night, before bed, Jack prayed for the first time in God knows how long. He made a pact with his deity: If he could remake his body in Bragg's image, he would dedicate his life to helping others. In the subsequent weeks and months, he vowed never to eat sugar, white flour, red meat or any processed foods again.

Eventually, LaLanne had enough weights to set up a backyard gymnasium. He spent all of his spare time in the backyard,

huffing and puffing and building his chest to a size 48, sculpting his waist to 28 inches and biceps bulging to 18 inches in diameter.

His fitness regimen and strict diet of raw vegetables, soy protein and fistfuls of vitamins turned LaLanne into a new man. He went back to Berkeley High School and became the captain of the football team and an all-league wrestler and baseball player. Still, he was considered something of a freak in high school.

"They thought I was crazy," he said. "I had to take my lunch alone to the football field to eat so no one would see me eat my raw veggies, whole bread, raisins and nuts. You don't know the crap I went through, boy."

After LaLanne started excelling in sports, he won converts. About 20 classmates asked him how they could sculpt their bodies, and they were invited to Jack's backyard gym. While in high school, the salesman in LaLanne surfaced.

At 19, just out of high school, he won a national World's Best Built Man contest, and he parlayed that notoriety into a cottage industry. He and his high school buddies started selling, door to door, health foods his mother cooked.

His diet and exercise regimen "saved my life," so he won't deviate from it. Ever. Breakfast for LaLanne consists of blended soy milk and a protein powder shake, multigrain organic cereal with soy milk, 50 vitamins and supplements. Lunch is four boiled eggs with the yolks removed, five servings of fresh fruit and five raw vegetables. Dinner is always at a restaurant in Morro Bay or neighboring San Luis Obispo.

"I've got all the restaurants trained to cook special for me," he said. "Brown rice, fresh vegetables. Fish is the only meat I'll eat."

Nowhere is LaLanne's stubborn streak more evident than in his publicity stunts to prove that people can maintain fitness as they age. At 40, he swam the 6 1/2-mile Golden Gate channel towing a 2,000-pound cabin cruiser. At 60, he swam from Alcatraz to Fisherman's Wharf while handcuffed and towing a 1,000- pound boat. At 70, he swam 1 1/2 miles of Long Beach harbor with 70 boats carrying 70 people strapped on his back.

Why? Because he could. Also because he likes a challenge and wants to impart his philosophy of healthful living.

Now, at 88, LaLanne is having something of a midlife crisis. (Remember, he says he'll live to 150). For his 90th birthday, he wants to swim underwater from Catalina to Los Angeles, which is 26 miles.

"I figure I'll have to change oxygen tanks every hour and it would take me 22 hours to do it," LaLanne said. "Elaine says if I do it, she'll divorce me. I said, 'You promise?' "

Jack cackles. Elaine rolls her eyes.

"It's true," she said. "I'll leave him. Because those stunts are stupid. Enough is enough. Let him rest on his laurels."

Rest? Jack LaLanne? Never.

A sensible diet along with at least 30 min exercise / day like brisk walking also ages you far better, as bad fats - eg red meat - and sugar cause lotsa microinflammations in the body that can not only lead to serious disease like cancer, but also age you and your skin / caollagen etc far before your time.

"Cancer is a preventable disease. In fact, the Harvard Report on Cancer Prevention lists the relative risk factors as the following:

CANCER RISK FACTORS PERCENT OF CANCER DEATHS
Smoking 30
Diet (animal food-based) 30
Lack of exercise 5
Carcinogens in the workplace 5
Family history of cancer 5

While there is ongoing debate in many fields of preventive medicine, the diet-cancer link is no longer controversial, thanks to a monumental six-year study called the "China Project," conducted by universities in America, China, and Great Britain.

This study concluded that the standard American diet contributes greatly to the high incidence of cancer and cardiovascular disease.

The most influential studies linking cancer and diet showed the following significant correlations:

A plant-based diet instead of an animal-based diet lowers the rate of breast, prostate, and colon cancers.

Lung, breast, prostate, and colon cancers (the "big bad four") account for more than half of all cancer deaths. The good news is these are also the cancers for which dietary changes can lower the risk.

Diet can be implicated in at least one-third of all cancers.

Increasing your daily consumption of fruits and vegetables can greatly lower your cancer risk.

Diet probably plays more of a role in cancer development than genes. It is well known that the incidence of most cancers are less in Asian cultures. The evidence for the diet-cancer link is studies have shown that when Asians moved to the United States and switched from primarily a plant-based diet to an animal-based diet, the cancer rates in these immigrants increased to approach those of Americans."

Cutting dead animals from your diet gets rid of barbaric animal factories, AND dramatically reduces your risk of getting cancer to boot.

WIN/WIN is what I call that.

:)

The link between diet & longevity is very strong & obvious to see.
Obviously, a healthy diet might not prevent a car wreck, or being hit by a bus, atlhough it may do a little as you will be fitter, and in a mentally better state.

Eating fresh, unprocessed natural foods is the way to a healthy diet.

Minimal roasting, baking, barbeques, frying, toasting etc. these all burn food, and eating burnt charcoaled food is carcinogenic.
Therefore boiling & steaming is the healthiest cooking option, as no burning takes place.

Oats are also the breakfast choice of champions because they are 100% natural & unprocessed. Besides the above listed qualities, they are also very cheap £1 for 2kg at asda.
weetabix, branflakes, cornflakes etc. are all baked (and therefore burnt) processed foods, that by law have to have "fortified with vitamins and minerals" added & tatooed on the box for them to even qualify as a food - as they are that highly processed. :eek:

IMO it's all b0ll0cks. I eat whatever I want, and by most peoples standards, I eat very well indeed.

The link between diet & longevity is very strong & obvious to see.
Obviously, a healthy diet might not prevent a car wreck, or being hit by a bus, atlhough it may do a little as you will be fitter, and in a mentally better state.

Minimal roasting, baking, barbeques, frying, toasting etc. these all burn food, and eating burnt charcoaled food is carcinogenic.
Therefore boiling & steaming is the healthiest cooking option, as no burning takes place.

Oats are also the breakfast choice of champions because they are 100% natural & unprocessed. Besides the above listed qualities, they are also very cheap £1 for 2kg at asda.
weetabix, branflakes, cornflakes etc. are all baked (and therefore burnt) processed foods, that by law have to have "fortified with vitamins and minerals" added & tatooed on the box for them to even qualify as a food - as they are that highly processed. :eek:

Yup.

And it's amazing how quickly a sensible diet starts working, keeping in mind that it's not cancer per se that is the problem, but the bodies ability to squash it when it comes up:

Worked for my mother who had breats cancer 20 years ago, works for everybody:

"The Nine Are Divine Anticancer Diet

You can lower your cancer risk in just 2 weeks. (You'll feel better than ever too!)

Wouldn't you love to have less breast cancer risk just 14 days from today? An exciting study of women at high risk for breast cancer has revealed how you can--by making vegetables and fruit your bosom buddies. That's what 28 women who participated in a pilot study at the AMC Cancer Research Center in Lakewood, CO, did. The women, all at high risk for breast cancer based on family history, agreed to eat 10 or more daily servings of a diverse group of vegetables and fruit for 2 weeks. Their usual intake was an already high 5.8 servings a day--compared to the 3.4 servings that most Americans scrape by with. Their ages ran the gamut from 27 to 80; the average age was 50. And yes, many of these women thought that it couldn't be done.

Tracking a Telltale Marker

The study was designed to see if a diet high in fruits and vegetables would protect the women's DNA from damage caused by dangerous compounds in the body called free radicals. Every day, your DNA molecules get zapped by thousands of free radical attacks. Damage to DNA--the blueprint that your cells use when they reproduce--is believed by many cancer experts to be an essential step in the cancer process. In theory, fruits and vegetables should shield your DNA. Individual fruits and vegetables teem with vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals ("phyto" meaning plant) that neutralize free radicals in the test tube. Would the same thing happen in humans who were eating a mixture of those fruits and vegetables? To find out, researchers compared levels of damaged DNA in blood samples taken before and after the diet. The results surprised even the study's lead author, breast cancer researcher Henry Thompson, PhD. After the women had been on the new eating plan for just 2 weeks, DNA damage to their white blood cells dropped 21.5 percent (Carcinogenesis, vol 20, no 2, 1999). "That's a pretty robust effect in a short period of time," says Dr. Thompson. "These are very healthy levels of damage reduction."

No Waiting Necessary

It's already well established that people who eat lots of fruits and vegetables have less cancer; many studies show that their risk is half that of people who eat less. This study, sponsored by the American Institute for Cancer Research, has documented biochemical changes that may explain why this happens.

But the most fabulous news is how quickly fruits and vegetables go to work. If scientists do validate DNA damage as a biomarker for cancer risk, this study shows that some of the benefits of eating at least 10 servings of fruits and vegetables daily are almost immediate. ...!"

CONTINUED:
Breast Cancer: Fruits and Vegetables - Prevention.com

Also good:

"TIMESONLINE

If you want to avoid cancer, live like a monk. That is the inescapable conclusion from research into one of the world’s most renowned monastic communities.

The austere regime of the 1,500 monks on Mount Athos, in northern Greece, begins with an hour’s pre-dawn prayers and is designed to protect their souls.

Their low-stress existence and simple diet (no meat, occasional fish, home-grown vegetables and fruit) may, however, also protect them from more worldly troubles.

The monks, who inhabit a peninsula from which women are banned, enjoy astonishingly low rates of cancer.
Since 1994, the monks have been regularly tested, and only 11 have developed prostate cancer, a rate less than one quarter of the international average. In one study, their rate of lung and bladder cancer was found to be zero."

CONTINUED:
A foolproof anti-cancer diet... with just one or two drawbacks - Times Online

Seriously JT, where do you get this sh1t?

JTrader said:
Oats are also the breakfast choice of champions

Wrong. Sex (and/or Tiramisu) is the breakfast of champions.

BSD said:
Cutting dead animals from your diet gets rid of barbaric animal factories, AND dramatically reduces your risk of getting cancer to boot.

This is all mumbo-jumbo. Eating well isn't about avoiding certain foodstuffs, it's about creating a balanced diet. Try telling an italian that in order to have a healthy diet, you shouldn't eat meat / roast / bake / fry / toast.

I suppose a yakult a day is good for you too, eh? :rolleyes:

MrG, its simple stats from the US anti-cancer society, Harvard medical school, a monumental six-year study called the "China Project," conducted by universities in America, China, and Great Britain, etc etc, with one very simple conclusion: people who do not eat red meat have far lower cancer rates.

That's not religion, not down to belief, it's a simple fact, just like it's a fact that cigarettes cause cancer as well.

Red meat, like tobacco or sugar etc, causes microinflammations in the body, that in turn lower the bodies immune reaction capability in fighting cancer.