Question for computer whizzes

ISPs DNS are dynamic.

The problems they get are that there Servers fall over under load...

What no one has mentioned is that DNS does't always go to the targets hosts Promary DNS. DNS Servers cache recently resolved sites and use the cache in the first instance. They only call off sites not currently in cache.

JonnyT

I have contacted my ISP and told them of my problem.

No response yet.

Maybe I am about to find out just how good or bad my ISP is !!

I am not confident because when I called their helpline some months ago on another issue, the person I spoke too had no idea what DNS meant.

They probably thought it was something to do with crime detection.

SG...

try this... in the browser address window type (or this may appear as a clickable link - I'm not sure!):

http://210.184.36.2

If this works then the problem is dns related. If not, it's possibly a network routing problem at your ISP!

Sorry I thought it was worth a try and may have at least given you access to the site while your ISP fixed a dns problem. This shows it's not a dns issue and assuming nothing has changed on your pc, as you say, it looks like you'll just have to wait till your ISP gets back to you. If they call you back it might be worth mentioning that you cannot access the site by IP address too, so it's likely a routing issue. They should be able to reproduce the failure to access the site from a machine on their network, if not then it could be your pc doing something strange (do you have another pc / laptop you could connect up to your internet connection to test?).
Having worked at an ISP before and knowing the quality of many of the helpdesk staff I wish you good luck getting this sorted in any sort of reasonable timescale!!