Question for computer whizzes

Bluewave

240 2
I understood this problem to be the fault of your ISP. It's something to do with them not keeping certain network links up-to-date, and so when a site changes content, or the internet route to their site changes slightly, your ISP doesn't know where to look for it.

This is copied from the Help file of Tweakmaster software which I use to improve my connection:

DNS Accelerator

Normally, when your computer needs to resolve an Internet host name into its numerical address, it contacts your ISP's DNS server. That DNS server sends a query to another DNS server which is responsible for the domain where the host in question belongs. After the reply for that query is received, it is passed back to your PC. Clearly, this procedure takes some time, and in extreme cases can take many seconds.

DNS Accelerator records "host name to IP address" mapping locally on your computer, stored in the Windows Hosts file, and the next time host resolution is required, the answer is available instantly!

Why are periodic updates essential?

Due to the dynamic nature of the Internet, "host name to IP address mappings" change from time to time. If the DNS Accelerator list is not updated regularly, it will become stale and will contain incorrect data which can easily cause you to completely lose connectivity to certain websites. This is in fact a common problem with many other so-called "DNS caching" utilities. The risks can often be greater than the rewards.

So there you go...you had a case of a dodgy DNS! :confused: If you continually find access to some sites stopped, contact your ISP and ask them to update their DNS to those sites.

I would suggest clearing your Hosts file also. Do a local machine search for "HOSTS" (without speech marks!), delete the file and when you start surfing again your web browser will create a new file with the most recent addresses. :)

Incidentally, the HOSTS file can be used to block spyware and other annoying adware. Have a read of this: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Last edited:

oatman

2,879 22
files :cheesy:

JonnyT

2,560 22
ISPs DNS are dynamic.

The problems they get are that there Servers fall over under load...

What no one has mentioned is that DNS does't always go to the targets hosts Promary DNS. DNS Servers cache recently resolved sites and use the cache in the first instance. They only call off sites not currently in cache.

JonnyT

Salty Gibbon

Experienced member
1,535 6
I have contacted my ISP and told them of my problem.

No response yet.

Maybe I am about to find out just how good or bad my ISP is !!

I am not confident because when I called their helpline some months ago on another issue, the person I spoke too had no idea what DNS meant.

They probably thought it was something to do with crime detection.

cw1

7 0
SG...

try this... in the browser address window type (or this may appear as a clickable link - I'm not sure!):

http://210.184.36.2

If this works then the problem is dns related. If not, it's possibly a network routing problem at your ISP!

Salty Gibbon

Experienced member
1,535 6
cw1 - the link doesn't work

cw1

7 0
Sorry I thought it was worth a try and may have at least given you access to the site while your ISP fixed a dns problem. This shows it's not a dns issue and assuming nothing has changed on your pc, as you say, it looks like you'll just have to wait till your ISP gets back to you. If they call you back it might be worth mentioning that you cannot access the site by IP address too, so it's likely a routing issue. They should be able to reproduce the failure to access the site from a machine on their network, if not then it could be your pc doing something strange (do you have another pc / laptop you could connect up to your internet connection to test?).
Having worked at an ISP before and knowing the quality of many of the helpdesk staff I wish you good luck getting this sorted in any sort of reasonable timescale!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock