Printer problem

Lionheart

My system cannot find my printer. The problem started when I changed the ink cartridge. some lines were not printing correctly so I uninstalled the printer. When I tried to re-install it Windows could not find it and the printer cd did not function due to a missing ".inf" file not found on the cd.
I remember turning off Plug and Play from a program (possibly an anti-virus) sometime ago but I don't remember which one so I'm unable to restore Plug and Play. Can anybody help me?
The printer will not even print a test page.

Try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site.

JonnyT

What model printer is it and is it a USB device or does it connect via the 25 way D type connector to LPT1?

Thanks for the suggestions. My printer is HP deskjet 940c and is connected via USB. I downloaded an update driver but because the Plug and Play was turned off by an option in an anti-virus program I installed sometime ago, Windows cannot find the printer. Other devices connected via usb are working but if I uninstall and then re-install them I think they too will become invissible to Windows. In other words any plug and play device I install will not be detected by Windows. There is nothing wrong with the USB connections. How can I turn Plug and Play back on. I don't remember which program turned it off in the first place. One other thing, I recently deleted AVG and Spybot S&D.

It's nothing to do with P&P. It's to do with the way USB software is installed. The registry will still contain entries for your printer, thus installing the software will result in it thinking there is a printer "installed".
Some options. Find the registry entries for the printer an delete them.Try loading the software without the printer connected. At some stage it will tell you to connect the printer.( maybe). Phone HP and pray.....
Note!!!! Most/all USB device drivers INSIST that you do NOT have the device connected whilst you load the driver software. The software will tell you when to connect the device.
Epson software is/was particularly poor. If you have a usb printer attached it would load parallel port software and completely screw up any attempts to re-install it correctly without doing registry removal stuff!!!!!

CM, exactly what I meant. With my Epson I had to delete a part of the installation, download a reg clean from Epson, and reinstall.
It still doesn't work 100% but I can get by :rolleyes:

Chartman and oatman
Many thanks for your help. oatman was spot-on: It was the Universal Plug & Play which I disabled using a program from grc.com. I have now enabled it and will go through the process of re-installing the printer.
Once again, Thanks to both of you.

I don't think you need the Universal one. You disabled it for security reasons. More likely what Chartman said that you need to uninstall completely and delete all references to your printer, disconnect and run the install.

Reg Cleaner is useful http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
Be careful in the Reg.

Last edited: